Sunset Overdrive is trashy, hyper and violent – but does it have long-term appeal?

Tuesday, 15th July 2014 13:08 GMT By Matt Martin

Insomniac’s Sunset Overdrive is wild and wacky, but does it have something more than novelty value?

The Xbox One exclusive is due for release this year and is Insomniac’s blend of cartoon violence and extreme sports.

We went hands-on with the latest build of the hyper-coloured shooter to get a better feel for Sunset City and its raving mad monsters.

1. KAP

Videogames.

#1 2 months ago
  2. TheWulf

Oh. That’s why they had it running so slow. People complained about the grinding and movement feeling slow, but now they’ve sped it up, it actually lags! I saw quite a few instances of lag throughout that video.

Doesn’t sound like anyone will be sold on this. It’s too weird and wacky for those who like modern military shooters and action adventures, and it’s lacking the depth of setting, characters, and gameplay mechanics that the Ratchet & Clank games had that appealed to a more nerdy, introverted audience. So, yeah. I just don’t see this doing so hot. It’s a super shallow Ratchet & Clank with a douche-bro as a main character, not sure who’d want that…

It’ll probably sell well enough, though.

#2 2 months ago
  3. SlayerGT

@TheWulf At least you can customize the main character…still I agree it won’t be huge. I’d bet 500k-1.5mil range. Probably on the lower end.

#3 2 months ago
  4. schnide

“..but does it have long-term appeal?”

Well, does it? For those of us who can’t watch the video right now? :)

#4 2 months ago
  5. zoopdeloop

@2 it’s actually a shallow R&C and Infamous hybrid add Chimera like enemies-bosses.
    funny thing is that people actually think this is a potential system seller… *rolls eyes*

#5 2 months ago
  6. fearmonkey

i think it looks like it could be fun, but as the video mentioned, I’m not sure how much fun it would be after a long play session. If wish it had wall run, the constant jumping and grinding style might get old after awhile. The player seems a bit delicate, doesn’t take much to die.

#6 2 months ago
  7. dazedonthemoon

@fearmonkey
    The more I watch I more I agree with this. It looks very fun but also very gimmicky. Not really something you wanna playbfornlong periods or replay over again. Though I still hope I’m wrong.

#7 2 months ago
  8. Boozy

The guy playing/ narrating sounds like he hates games. Fire him post haste.

#8 2 months ago
  9. Legendaryboss

Bruality. Finish Him Now! Twist the knife deep!

Topic: If Insomniac North are behind this then odds are reviews are going to be average. If the other Insomniac team is on hand for this one, then reviews are going to be… This isn’t a system seller, don’t delude yourselves, its Insomniac.

#9 2 months ago
  10. FoureyesZero

Insomniac doesn’t believe that gameplay is king they value graphics over gameplay.
    They are on my developer black list and i wont buy any of their games until they change.

#10 2 months ago
  11. antraxsuicide

Personally, I’m excited now. That gameplay is giving me Jet Set Radio X Crackdown X Borderlands vibes. I’m down with all of that.

#11 2 months ago
  12. sebastien rivas

I agree, gameplay primes over graphics. Although if you can have both then it is what and why games are so appealing. I ll stay open toward Insomniac but I ll not jump on the title right away.

#12 2 months ago