EA sort-of explains why The Sims 4 won’t let you have pools or toddlers

Tuesday, 8th July 2014 10:24 GMT By Dave Cook

The Sims 4 won’t allow gamers to build swimming pools or have their own virtual toddler, and EA has now explained why. Sort of.

the_sims_4

We reported on the absence of pools and toddlers last week, as the news triggered a wave of confusion among gamers.

At the time Maxis member Ryan Vaughan said of the cuts, “While we recognize that some of you will be disappointed that pools and toddlers won’t be available when The Sims 4 Base Game launches in September, you should know that we’re building an incredibly strong foundation that is capable of fulfilling every one of your desires in the years to come.”

This led gamers to believe that toddlers and pools will be paid DLC, which of course everyone in the world hates.

Now, in a new blog post, executive producer Rachel Franklin explained the missing features in more detail.

“The fact is, we owe you a clearer explanation for why pools and toddlers will not be in The Sims 4 at launch,” Franklin wrote.

“It begins with new technology and systems that we built for this new base game for The Sims – a new AI system, new animation system, new audio positioning tools, new locomotion logic, new routing intelligence and much more are all entirely new in this game.

“So the bottom line is that when we sat down and looked at everything we wanted to do for this game, all the new tech we wanted to build into it, the fact was that there would be trade-offs, and these would disappoint some of our fans. Hard pill to swallow, believe me, but delivering on the vision set out for The Sims 4 required focus.”

Does this explanation meet your expectations? Let us know what you think below.

Via Eurogamer.

1. Erthazus

Tehy are building basically emergent AI.

But most of the kids don’t know this term and will cry a river because they don’t understand that AI is the most complex thing in gaming industry.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@Erthazus OK.

#2 5 months ago
  3. dazedonthemoon

Introducing Sims 4: Baby Boom and Sims 4: Wet & Wild add ons, just $19.99 each… Or buy them together for $34.99!

#3 5 months ago
  4. The_Red

AI or no AI, the pools were in the FIRST freaking game. Fuck off with your DLC plans, “Changes” (Copyright Peter Moore) and other moves.

#4 5 months ago
  5. foofly

Obvious DLC plans are obvious.

#5 5 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I don’t know how to feel about this, really. I was excited on the grounds that this is the first Sims game I’ll be able to thoroughly enjoy since the first. Since 2 and 3 hated disabled people like myself, it was hard going. 2 I could manage, but it stopped being fun. 3… I just gave up early on.

They seem to have taken this into account with the fourth instalment, which actually has a UI that takes things into account. It’s similar to the SimCity glass box UI, which actually works really well with Windows Magnifier, without the gross amounts of artifacting that Sims 3 has when you use that.

This was this idea in PC gaming for a while that started somewhere around ’04 (the year everything started getting bad, if I recall, with the last golden year being ’03), and that idea was that every gamer had eagle vision, so all fonts must be as tiny as possible. The Sims 2 was tolerable, but I just could not play 3, and I wanted to.

So, really, the only Sims I enjoyed was the first one. But it lacks a lot of interesting features from the later versions. I liked Sims 2 better than the original, but it was more difficult for me to play.

Now I feel conflicted.

On one side, I feel yay that there’s finally a Sims game being made with a NOT god awful UI, for the first time in years and years. One that uses the excellent UI used by SimCity. I’m very, VERY okay with that. So okay with that.

On the other hand, the removal of pools and toddlers does feel exploitative, and my empathy is kicking me in the gut repeatedly because I agree with the people who’re mad about this.

So it feels like a hollow victory for me, as a disabled person.

#6 5 months ago
  7. Erthazus

I think it’s going to be free. Pool part will be free as a DLC later.

If they are going to charge for that money then their talk is BS at best. Although I saw videos they are indeed building emergent AI for it’s new game. It’s not that simple to do.

#7 5 months ago
  8. TheWulf

In case anyone’s curious about what made The Sims 2/3 so bad — it seems like they used image file based fonts, frankly. Where you have the font in an image file, and each character is a set of coordinates to render that character. I’ve seen that done in a bunch of things, but usually they use an image file big enough for proper scaling. That, or even better, a vector graphics file because THOSE SCALE.

The Sims 2 had a bigger overall font, so that was tolerable, but the fonts for 3 were so, so tiny. And due to them not being real fonts, there was just something about them that didn’t scale well. You could try scaling the UI or using Windows Magnifier, and both would result in font artifacting that made the fonts incredibly hard to read. For me, it made them impossible to read.

I mean, yeah, I play a lot of games that have tiny text with Windows Magnifier on most of the time. And in most cases, that works. Except for when they’re not using proper fonts, and thus… bad things. Reus also had this issue, which bugged the snot out of me, since it was an indie game I was looking forward to.

I’ll never understand the eugenicsy hate for disabled people and the needs they have. It means that there are some games I can’t play, not even with Windows Magnifier. I mean, I understand that I have to use Windows Magnifier due to my disability and I’m okay with that, it’s actually a really great tool. You know, in some cases, Windows Magnifier is preferable to zooming in, because it follows the mouse.

But when something is so badly designed that it won’t even work well with Windows Magnifier? Nope. :I I’m just going to not.

#8 5 months ago
  9. Visali

I would agree with it, if these features later coming for free.

#9 5 months ago
  10. Llewelyn_MT

You have to take care of toddlers, hence it’s more of a chore then fun. Scrap toddlers. What’s next? Maybe cut out elderly because they are not physically attractive.

How on Earth do they want to simulate life without kids?

I played vanilla Sims 1, 2 and 3 with no DLC nonsense, so I frankly can’t picture myself getting on vanilla No 4 (if I didn’t lose interest in the game in the first place).

#10 5 months ago
  11. DuckOfDestiny

Just say they will be added in later with a free content patch.

The won’t though.

#11 5 months ago
  12. thegrimmling

Free abortion clinic DLC?

#12 5 months ago
  13. AmiralPatate

So I’m waiting for the explanation part.

#13 5 months ago
  14. OrbitMonkey

EA not fussed on losing the “I like to drown babies in the pool” demographic.

Brave move.

#14 5 months ago
  15. Game Hunter

What he says in his heart:people’s wallets are very open and generous towards us so we decided to use this opportunity to make the work of our employees easier and give them the task of making shitloads of RPDLC(Ripped Payable Downloadable Content).

#15 5 months ago