Freddie Prinze Jr puts on a weird voice for Dragon Age: Inquisition character The Iron Bull

Sunday, 22nd June 2014 23:40 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dragon Age: Inquisition introduces a new character called The Iron Bull, described as “the Qunari James Bond”. Who better to voice this rugged mercenary than the guy who also did Mass Effect’s James Vega? Uh.

In the dev diary below, posted on the BioWare Blog, Freddie Prinze, Jr discusses his role as The Iron Bull.

It’s sort of odd watching him change from his normal speaking voice to The Iron Bull’s weird, sort of Sean Connery tones. At least The Iron Bull is rather more unique than James Vega, Mass Effect 3′s “we need a vanilla space marine” squaddie.

Prinze seems to be a genuine fan of BioWare’s games; when he was cast as Vega, he surprised the developer by asking fully informed questions about the character’s relation to Shepard and role in the story.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is coming to PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in early October.

1. OrbitMonkey

I was all prepared to come in here scorn horn a blarin… But ol Freddie has won me over!

Quaian James Bond? Can’t wait to meet im :)

#1 2 months ago
  2. Daodan

I was actually pleasantly surprised by his appearance in that video. He seems to be a genuine fan of videogames and BioWare, and like he says himself, you can tell the difference. I would’ve expected a more heavier voice for the Iron Bull, but his performance definitely works. Sounds cool!

#2 2 months ago
  3. Brenna Hillier

I like the fact that it’s so different from Vega’s voice. Like Daodan i expected a heavier voice, but it’s growing on me.

#3 2 months ago
  4. dazedonthemoon

Right on, New found respect for Freddie Prince Jr. I think I like the voice even more cause its not what I would expect.

#4 2 months ago
  5. Revolting

I intensely disliked him in Mass Effect, and was less than thrilled when I heard he was doing this. But then I watched the video, and he completely won me over. Not just his obvious genuine passion for games, but the voice work itself; it’s so different from Vega, and is just really rather cool, saturated with personality, and also fairly amusing. It’s not at all what I was expecting from either Prinze or Iron Bull. It’s really rather fantastic.

So, yeah. In the space of that video, I went from disliking Freddy Prinze Jr and cursing the day he moved from movies to games to giving him an open invitation to sit in my Inquisition party.

#5 2 months ago
  6. TheWulf

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

BETA. ALPHA. BETA. MAOSPHERE ROT.

Okay. That’s that character ruined for me. Thanks Fred.

I’m sorry, but that attitude really bugs me. I hate it when humans look at other humans that way, it’s utter nonsense. There doesn’t need to be an enforced-through-machismo dominance hierarchy, and anyone who thinks so may need their testosterone levels reduced, because their heightened levels are actively smothering and killing their brain.

I was fortunately born with borderline testosterone, I have less of it than most women do, due to major endocrine issues that I refuse to have fixed for that very reason.

#6 2 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Er. Manosphere, rather. Really, this stuff makes me so angry that I’m not surprised that I typo’d. I really hate men who’re so ridiculously, overly drunk with testosterone, so flooded with it, so drowned by it, that they actually believe this stuff.

No one in their right mind should believe this stuff.

#7 2 months ago