UPDATE: The Last Guardian not cancelled, currently in “full development”

Sunday, 8th June 2014 07:44 GMT By Staff

Rumours of The Last Guardian’s demise were greatly exaggerated, so fingers crossed we see the Team Ico effort at E3 this week.

the_last_guardian

Over the weekend, rumours arose that the third game from Team Ico had been cancelled; the story has since been repeatedly squashed. You cna follow the sage via the original story and updates below.

ORIGINAL STORY

IGN has claimed that The Last Guardian has been finally canned. The site ran the headline, “E3 2014: THE LAST GUARDIAN CANCELLED,” this morning: you can’t get much clearer than that.

Sony, however, has instantly denied the Team ICO game has been axed.

From what VG247 has heard in the last week, IGN is off the mark.

It was claimed in April that the game would be dated soon.

Sony’s E3 2014 press conference takes place tomorrow in LA. You’d do well to watch it. Get all the info you need about streaming and coverage details in our E3 viewer guide.

UPDATE

Speaking in a pre-E3 interview with Spike TV’s Geoff Keighley, Sony Computer Entertainment America’s Shawn Layden said the third Team Ico game remains in full production.

Layden replaced Jack Tretton as president and CEO of SCEA in March, so he’s presumably in a position to know.

Thanks, Gematsu.

UPDATE 2:

IGN has published a full retraction and apology for the rumour.

1. FreeZZa

After such a long period of time, it’s almost impossibru for them to deliver. Same with games like Half Life (2: Episode) 3. I certainly don’t want these games to be bad but something tells me that they won’t ever live up to the hype…

#1 3 months ago
  2. Hcw87

Sony needs this game at their conference tomorrow, cancelling it would be a very stupid thing to do. Even if it turns out shit, it’ll be a huge hypemachine for Sony.

#2 3 months ago
  3. The_Red

I’m calling it now: “TLG Cancelled” is the game of the show at E3 2014.
    The huge thread on NeoGAF along with awesome response from Druckman (The Last of Us), Bossman and O’Dwyer ‏have been more entertaining and fun than any next-gen game could possibly be at the actual show.

#3 3 months ago
  4. pukem0n

no game lives up to its hype anymore because the majority of gamers became entitled little dicks that flame around about everything

#4 3 months ago
  5. gomersoul

Sony probably started this rumor to build hype, imagine It’s actually going to be announced as released next month, free for plus subscribers. E3 won

#5 3 months ago
  6. dazedonthemoon

Yeah at this point it doesn’t matter if it sucks. It’s so incredibly hyped, all they have to do is date it and people will go crazy and buy even more PS4s.

#6 3 months ago
  7. lubu

@FreeZZa
    “Same with games like Half Life (2: Episode) 3″
    they didn’t even announced HL3 or ep3, and valve aren’t going to develope a game when they have no new ideas or some new techs. so there was no delay or cancellation about HL3/EP3. but TLG is different, they showed it as a PS3 game, they won awards for it, they showed it almost 3 times,they lost developers, they hyped it again for PS4 and still they are hyping it by false rumors etc…

i’m not saying it is cancelled or not, i don’t care, i’m just saying HalfLife story is different

#7 3 months ago
  8. Joe Musashi

I do so enjoy the PC/X1 fetishists eagerly jumping around to proclaiming what Sony must do to succeed.

I recall making a point of not getting over excited when TLG was first revealed. Seems like moderation was the right choice. I can’t claim failure, betrayal or any other grandiose emotive term. I’ve too much other good stuff to play.

If the game exists and comes out, I’ll play it.

JM

#8 3 months ago
  9. Erthazus

This is probably IGN just played with Sony to get a proper response.

This is really easy to do with the crowd.

#9 3 months ago
  10. tenthousandgothsonacid

Because I watched the trailer so often so long ago it feels like I’ve played this already. I’ll happily play the ps4 remake though :)

#10 3 months ago
  11. Isaaclarke37

Why is there some much buzz around this game? I would love to see it released soon. Why is Sony still so secretive about it’s status? They should give us something whether its a yay or nay.

#11 3 months ago
  12. TF_PtMaster

Someone at IGN is seeking pagehits…

This game is happening.

#12 3 months ago
  13. POOhead

Game looks like utter shit snyways, fly here do this puzzle, looks boring

#13 3 months ago
  14. Citrus raptor

Still, if it’s not for PS3, I’m going to be kind of upset. They marketed it for PS3, so not releasing the game for it, would be false marketing.

#14 3 months ago
  15. Takeshi

Personally, I am more looking forward to FFXV, at least I have some sort of idea as to what kind of game it will be.

I loved Shadow of the Collosus, and this looks more like Ico which is fine, but not really what I want to play.

#15 3 months ago
  16. Digital Bamboo

I don’t even recall when this game was announced TBH.

Ico & Shadow of the Collosus were certainly groundbreaking in their time (and are still pretty special now, I just played them myself about 2 years ago) but I can’t see them having a great number of present-day fans, I mean, among those that grew up during this past generation of consoles.

#16 3 months ago
  17. polygem

#8+1 minus the shit stirring

#17 3 months ago
  18. AmiralPatate

TLG. 3 letters, Half-li… nevermind.

#18 3 months ago
  19. ManuOtaku

I do hope it really comes whenever is ready, and is good. Although, ico and shadow have a soul, a certain magic, but they didnt had that many problems while been developed, therefore iam afraid the soul this game might have will suffer for all this problems.i hope this is not the case at all.

#19 3 months ago
  20. Joe Musashi

@16 “Is there really SUCH a huge demand for this game to come out, or is it just a very vocal few drunk on nostalgia/enraged with expectation?

I can’t speak for everyone, but I think titles like Ico and SotC have probably been more significant for Sony’s stature as a publisher/maker of games than as games that rake in a lot of sales.

I’d consider myself a passionate fan of both Ico and SotC. I’ll be eager to play Team Ico’s next game should it ever emerge. If I end up enjoying it to the degree of their earlier games then it’ll have been worth the wait. In the meantime, there’s plenty else to keep me entertained.

For all those banging on loudly about the time taken, I like to picture them sitting with their controllers in their hand in front of a blank screen, literally playing no other games and waiting, year after year, for this single game. If that’s what they’re doing then their demands make sense. Otherwise I suspect exaggeration is involved.

JM

#20 3 months ago
  21. onlineatron

glad they put the kaibosh on the rumour but it has dashed my hopes of a re-reveal tomorrow. if it was coming, sony would have kept things under wraps, waited 24hrs. coming out and saying something suggests they’re not ready to show it and were prepared to reassure people who ask that it still exists anyway.

#21 3 months ago
  22. antraxsuicide

If they do release it, it’ll be the flop of the century. You can’t possibly have a game in development for that long, paying all that money on salary and general development costs, and expect to see even 50% of your investment in revenue.

This game is either cancelled, or it’s going to be a massive financial failure. Those are the only two options. Sony should look up the “sunk cost” fallacy and make damn sure to avoid it.

#22 3 months ago
  23. Redh3lix

Damn VG247 comment system is arse about face. Latest post next to reply please ya nubs.

#23 3 months ago
  24. CyberMarco

@antraxsuicide I don’t think it was in development the past 8 years, probably was put in hibernation mode until it

#24 3 months ago
  25. Rosseu

@antraxsuicide If it was in development that long, we would have had it a few years ago. It wasn’t continuously in development.

#25 3 months ago
  26. Nintendo1985

Looks like some Russian reporters have also confirmed the cancelation

#26 3 months ago
  27. BrahManDude

So much for inside sources

#27 3 months ago
  28. antraxsuicide

@Cyber @Rosseu
    If that’s the case, then it’s definitely not going anywhere. Stepping away from a creative project will usually lead to lackluster performance from employees. It breeds a “Oh, great, this again” vibe when you have to go back to working on it.

Especially if anything changed in that time. “Oh, you already finished that area? Well, we totally scrapped that while you were working on that other game we sent you to do, so could you do another area? We promise it’ll be untouched when you come back again after the next project we shift you to. Pinky swear on it.”

That never leads to employee satisfaction.

#28 3 months ago
  29. yeoung

@Joe Musashi:

Such carefully balanced rationale, I too consider myself a passionate fan. Not to any extent as those SoTC secret hunters, but surely along the lines of a day-one-special-edition-can’t-believe-I-finally-get-to-experience-this .. erm.. guy.

Team Ico crafts abstract yet immersive universes with minimal dialogue yet highly effective emotional content. Truly their works represent a side of the gaming spectrum altogether too uncommon in today’s AAA selection. Team Ico games are unique, and in that respect, absence is cause for demand. Obviously a common sense approach may be warranted given it’s rather .. elusive PR campaign, but there hasn’t been a time more pertinent than this transition period. A swansong for PS3 or a massive boost for PS4, either way, I can’t but be excited.

(Team Ico games get me all super excited and stuff)

#29 3 months ago
  30. SlayerGT

@yeoung <– Yes this. Me too.

#30 3 months ago
  31. Clupula

I imagine whenever they do show the game off again, it’ll be at TGS, not E3.

#31 3 months ago
  32. yeoung

@yeoung: Gah,

*transitional
    *help

I guess that’s what I get for trying to be eloquent after 3 am.

#32 3 months ago
  33. redwood

the amount of time this game has taken, I reckon that bird-dog thingy must have spawned a bunch little bird-dog thingies! maybe we will get to play with them too (am sorry, that was a cheap joke, I know… i know)

#33 3 months ago
  34. TheWulf

If there haven’t been many (or any) concessions to the modern mainstream, I can see myself really enjoying this. Though I have this feeling of dread that it just won’t be translated. Or maybe I’ll get lucky and it’ll be one of those games that at least gets a European release, if not anywhere else. (There’ve been quite a few of those.)

But yes, I’m more than a little bit hopeful for this.

I think they just need to tell a good story, and they’ll be fine. The majority of Japanese developers aren’t beholden to Western development attitudes. I mean, this kind of thing used to be commonplace.

:C

Yeah, have to be a realist, I suppose. Still…

That’s the Internet, for you! Before the Internet, it was believed that video games were only for introverted nerds, and that was a great time for video games. Now, we have an extroverted mainstream who tend to be… well, yes, very entitled. All I ask for is the odd game developed for introverted audiences, but I’ve since given up on that hope.

Oh for a time machine, to go back and reinvent computers and the Internet so that they require a certain degree of intelligence, insight, and intuition to use.

That’s how it was in its earliest days, but the endless dumbing down has made it accessible so that extroverts everywhere can destroy computers with malware. (What? I feel computer empathy, I know I wouldn’t want someone loading my brain down with evil shit, with the end result being dementia.)

Publishers found a new audience, that audience now EXPECTS to be served, as par the course, and gets really infuriated if something is released that they can’t understand/is too strange for them.

Lair comes to mind. Lair had a control scheme that required one to be able to analyse the differences from prior control schemes, and intuit things. I was brilliant at Lair. It always baffled other people that I could play it so, so very well. But for me, it was as easy to pick up as learning a new application, I’m just mentally prepared for new experiences. I remember how extroverted critics lambasted it, calling it a terrible game, whereas the introverts on this world network of ours called them on their bullshit.

Just because they couldn’t analyse and intuit the controls, because that was beyond their limited, extroverted capacities, that doesn’t mean it was a bad game. There are far too many videos of people playing Lair expertly out there for that to even be believable. It’s just that Lair was a game aimed at introverts because of its weird control system. It was the weird control system that I loved.

I mean, normally, I’d be bored by another dragon-riding game, but the ingenuity of that control system made me want to play it. Whether I was stomping around on the ground, or gracefully looping around in the air, I loved it.

But no. “ME NO DUMB, GAME JUST BAD. LAIR TOO HARD. UNGA-BUNGA! ME AM SAY MAKE MORE MODERN MILITARY SHOOTER! SHOUTY, STUPID MAN DEMAND IT!

Such is the world we live in.

Entitled prats who throw a wobbly whenever they fail to understand something, so games have ended up being about instant gratification, familiarity, similarity, and the lowest common denominator. Completely unchallenging, unthinking, dispassionate affairs. I’m not actually sure what the last AAA labour of love I played was, and that makes me genuinely sad.

I… haven’t seen that. Where is that happening? Then again, I’m taking you at face value, rather than accepting the more likely truth — you’re lying. Oh, you’re such a stereotypical Macloed-style sociopath, JM.

I’m wondering when you’re going to drop the narcissism long enough to stop signing your posts, too. Does it make you feel important and powerful to do so?

Well, yeah. I mean, your name is “poohead,” you’ve established yourself as a particularly anti-intellectual extrovert since day one. You just want to kill shit and be folksy, puzzles are for holier-than-thou boffins and irritating egg-heads.

You definitely fall into the “douche-bro” category. I’m not a fan of your kind of person.

Personally, I like puzzles, I like puzzles more than I like violence, which I guess makes me a terrifying prospect to someone like you. I’m just being an annoying, unrelatable egg-head, though, eh?

The Internet does so much to convince me that extroverts are, essentially, worthless. Day after day. I feel introverts like myself need our own world, so that we can be artistic and scientific, and you guys can just kill each other in one needless war after another. You’ll wipe yourselves out without us there to stop you.

Because hey, life isn’t fun if you’re not killing shit.

It’s a difference in people.

Smart, introverted people want a game that’s sans violence, tells a good story, and challenges the mind in various ways. They want to be stimulated. Whereas the average extrovert just wants to kill shit.

A favourite of introverts everywhere would be something like Portal, the original especially, whereas the average extrovert would rather be playing Battlefield or Assassin’s Creed. The thing is is that for every Portal, there are a thousand mindless, instant gratification-based murder simulators.

So, yeah, there’s demand for this. Smart people do want it.

It’s typical of an extrovert though to look outwards, see only other extroverts, and believe that only the extroverted state of being exists. You have no internal gauge for intuition or insight, as such, you have no ability to comprehend that there are people out there, smarter than you, who wish that video games weren’t always kill-’em-ups all the time.

A lot of the nostalgia comes from how, back in the ’80s and ’90s, there was a fairly even balance of puzzle games and kill-’em-ups, and even with the latter category, many of those were goofy enough to be inoffensive. We’re not all the kind of people who actually want blood on our hands to feel validated. Some of us just want some platforming, some puzzles, some ethical dilemmas, and a good bit of story.

But because you’re not such a person, you can’t even comprehend that those people actually exist. In this extrovert-and-idiocy driven world of ours, it’s often the case that we tend to be forgotten, along with the reasons for the desires we have.

We don’t ask for much.

We just don’t understand why you get so offended whenever someone tries to develop something that isn’t for you (as I touched upon above, relating to incredibly entitled, jerky extroverts).

I want a think-a-thon, sometimes. I’m not EVERY DAY IS A KILL-A-THON DAY like you guys are. You can satisfy yourself with continued slaughter, you even enjoy slaughter and genocide (the ending choices of Mass Effect proved that quite eloquently), but… hey, we don’t.

Sometimes just a bit of platforming is nice. Some puzzles. Some thinking.

Just some thinking.

The extrovert-driven video games mainstream at the moment is just so incredibly vapid. It never invites you to think. This is why I always go crazy when there’s a game that does. Remember New Vegas? Remember how I just couldn’t stop talking about how great of a game that was? Well, it might not have been as great as I was making out, it might be more that I’m so starved for intelligent games that whenever I’m thrown a scrap, I leap on it and proclaim it to be the best thing ever.

So, yes.

I want this.

I don’t want it for nostalgia.

I want it because it might not be stupid. It might make me think. It might provide me with interesting insights and perspectives. It might leave me spinning in my chair for a good hour, just considering the last thing that happened in it. <– That? That is something that extroverts never do, they blow through a game and then move onto the next one.

Introverts like it when a game makes them think because then they can think more about it, they can talk about it with other introverts, they can discuss their ideas, their speculations, their questions and quandaries.

Why is it wrong that intelligent people sometimes want intelligent games? My biggest point of outright annoyance and hostility in regards to gamers is how disturbingly anti-intellectual they are. As though intellectuality is to be banished to the seventh level of hell, as though it were some kind of sin.

Agreed.

#34 3 months ago
  35. TheWulf

Also, I have to say that I wasn’t much of a fan of Shadow of the Colossus beyond the environments, art, and aesthetic. I’m just not a fan of kill-’em-ups. I was, however, more of a fan of Ico. The Last Guardian, to me, looks to be like the better parts of Ico. More about the thinking and the puzzling, and less about the killing shit.

That’s exactly what I want.

#35 3 months ago