Update: Running Watch Dogs on AMD? Nvidia might have crippled your experience

Tuesday, 27th May 2014 12:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Watch Dogs is out on PC today, and while the game has received new updated drivers today, an AMD rep has warned that Nvidia’s GameWorks support is in danger of crippling rival experiences and the PC ecosystem as a whole.

watch_dogs_ps4_3

You can check out our Watch Dogs review round-up and PS4 review through the links.

Watch Dogs is the latest PC title to take advantage of Nvidia’s GameWorks, a suite of tools designed to help developers boost the optimisation and visual performance of their games on the company’s tech. It applies to many things, including particle effects, lighting models, textures and smoke, which are enhanced with the close assistance of Nvidia engineers.

It sounds good for Nvidia users, but AMD’s Robert Hallock has suggested that this favouritism is negative for the PC market as a whole.

Speaking with Forbes, Hallcock said, “Gameworks represents a clear and present threat to gamers by deliberately crippling performance on AMD products (40% of the market) to widen the margin in favor of NVIDIA products.

“Participation in the Gameworks program often precludes the developer from accepting AMD suggestions that would improve performance directly in the game code—the most desirable form of optimization.”

In short, if a problem arises with a GameWorks-developed title on AMD cards, the manufacturer is unable to suggest fixes or changes to Nvidia, but in the case of Watch Dogs partner Ubisoft, it would be able to make any changes without issue.

Hallock continued, “The code obfuscation makes it difficult to perform our own after-the-fact driver optimizations, as the characteristics of the game are hidden behind many layers of circuitous and non-obvious routines.

“This change coincides with NVIDIA’s decision to remove all public Direct3D code samples from their site in favor of a ‘contact us for licensing’ page. AMD does not engage in, support, or condone such activities.”

While he feels that there is nothing wrong with Nvidia choosing exclusive partners in this manner, he added that the secrecy and guarded nature of post-launch support is at odd with AMD’s aim for transparency.

“Our work with game developers is founded concretely in open, sharable code, all of which we make available on our developer portal,” he went on.

“We believe that enabling a developer with obvious and editable code that can be massaged to benefit everyone not only helps AMD hardware, but makes it possible for all gamers to benefit from our partnerships with a developer. As TressFX Hair runs equally well on AMD and NVIDIA hardware, for example, you can see this is true.”

While today’s new AMD driver update does optimise for Watch Dogs to a degree, Hallcock expressed concern that the volume of support from this point may falter.

“I am uncertain if we will be able to achieve additional gains due to the unfortunate practices of the Gameworks program,” he concluded.

UPDATE: Since we posted the story above, we’ve seen tweets coming out of John McDonald calling out the source quoted in the Forbes piece, and the implication that Nvidia will block AMD support for GameWorks titles:

What do you make of the above?

Via @Shivoa.

1. Erthazus

AMD it’s your freakin problem that you don’t develop decent technologies for your videocards that have a good quality overall.

but AMD gamers won’t miss much about Watch dogs anyway. The highest settings aka Ultra are not worth it.

#1 4 months ago
  2. MidlifeAxe

If I’m reading this right, if developers join the Nvidia GameWorks program, that means they can’t work with AMD to optimize it for that platform? That’s shitty.

#2 4 months ago
  3. zme-ul

@Erthazus this isn’t only about one game

this trend started many years ago with games that would only work exclusively with nVidia GPUs, then followed by Physx . and now this

I never trusted nVidia since the aquisition of 3DFx and lying to every 3DFx card owner at that time

#3 4 months ago
  4. Talkar

Get a grip AMD, you’re doing the exact same thing!
    Look at mantle, that *somehow* performs much better on AMD hardware than Nvidia, how mysterious!

#4 4 months ago
  5. Patrick Garratt

Dave’s updated at the bottom there. Check the tweets out.

#5 4 months ago
  6. CyberMarco

@Talkar http://wccftech.com/amd-mantle-api-require-gcn-work-nvidia-graphic-cards/

#6 4 months ago
  7. silverstorm

Finally AMD has said something about this. It’s the same thing with AC4, incredibly shitty performance on my 6950. For fucking shame Nvidia..

#7 4 months ago
  8. KTF26

@silverstorm
    AC IV perform bad even on nvidia cards

#8 4 months ago
  9. OmegaSlayer

And that’s exactly why there’s people that will ever buy consoles and not move to PC no matter what.
    Most of the PCs around could run stuff much better than they do, but developers don’t care to optimize because the PC gamer buys a new graphic card every year, so why bother and lose time?

It’s not the console world that limits PC games, it’s the PC in itself.

#9 4 months ago
  10. KTF26

@CyberMarco
    PR bullsh*t
    Mantle is Tailored to GCN
    nvidia cards may able to use some of it’s features but not all features
    and Mantle is still in beta when it reaches it’s final form DX12 will be out

i’m not on nvidia side
    i don’t like Mantle as well as PhysX
    i hate TWIMTBP as well as gaming evolve
    these are nothing more than PR bullsh*t

#10 4 months ago
  11. Tormenter

Big bad Nvidea and Uplay?

What about the fucking devs?

They knew what it meant for their AMD customers if they chose to use Gamesworks.. AND THEY FUCKING DID IT ANYWAY.. FUCK THOSE GUYS GIVING THE MIDDLE FINGER TO HALF OF THEIR MARKET.. FUCK THEM…… FUCK THEM RIGHT IN THEIR EAR.

#11 4 months ago
  12. harr0w

Watchdogs is a poorly optimized game anyway sure it can look pretty at times but poorly poorly optimized. Tag on all the little effects you want doesn’t mean shit if ubisoft didn’t put the time in to run nicely on PC.

#12 4 months ago
  13. lubu

AMD = nVidia
    they always doing shit on PC and that make it worst for the other one

#13 4 months ago
  14. Panthro

I played Watch Dogs yesterday and have an Nvidia card, they aren’t missing out as Erthazus said, the game looks like crap aside from at night and even then isn’t THAT great technically.

See this video.

#14 4 months ago
  15. Panthro

And I still think (as I always have) that GTA IV is an ugly game, so that says volumes about what I think about Watch Dogs.

#15 4 months ago
  16. polygem

forget this game. get your old gameboys out. play some castlevania.

#16 4 months ago
  17. TheWulf

I’d like to know what fantasy world you’re living in. Many developers have been looking more and more toward the PC instead of consoles in recent years, analysts have said that the PC, in regards to game sales, regularly hands-down beats all of the consoles combined. In fact, a number of developers are looking into cutting back on fidelity to reach a wide variety of hardware configurations, rather than pushing graphics over gameplay (as the consoles do). Epic’s Fornite, for example.

Not to mention the indie scene, whose efforts rarely push mid-range systems.

The PC arms race died off a while ago, this is why both AMD and nVidia are desperately making noise at the moment — to be seen. It’s very rare that people feel pressured into updating their computers, and with such a rich back catalogue of games, including games from across every platform imaginable (ports from consoles, mobiles, a massive abundance of older games which still run perfectly, emulation, and so on), why would they?

The notion of frequently buying new graphics cards has been a fallacy for over half a decade, now, if not longer. It’s to cover up how console owners are the new elitists — rabidly defending their brand, and rushing out to buy every new product with barely any information on it. This is why demos have all but died on consoles.

Basically, a PC is something that everyone has in their home, the majority of them are capable of playing games, and the vast majority aren’t in a rush to update. The arms race now is one between XBox and Playstation, whereas the PC has found its maturity and it’s a home to good games, rather than fapping over graphics. People like Erth are a tiny minority, the vast majority have mid-range computers and are happy to play games on medium settings.

The frightening thought is that Valve is likely making more right now than Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo combined. My basis for this theory? Simple! Analysts have been telling us that the PC is going to overtake consoles for a while, now, and a bit back that changed to news that the PC has rapidly overtaken the console market. Valve doesn’t produce any consoles themselves, nor do they subsidise consoles. So they get their cut from game sales without having to spend money on producing consoles.

Consoles are very much luxury items at this point, and their producers are makers of luxury items. Less and less people are bothering to buy them, instead choosing to hook up their computer to their TV, which works incredibly well with Steam’s Big Picture mode. I know because I’ve done it myself, it’s easy, I can relax in a couch with a pad, too, if I desire. It’s been a long time since computer owners were chained to desks.

In fact, I think the only people left who desperately cling to consoles are those with too much money for luxury items, and the technophobic ‘bro’ culture. Neither of which are particularly intelligent groups of people, often herd/hive-like in their thinking. They need to… cloud-think, to a degree, in order to actually reach the level of intelligence that the average individual has. As such, providing them with a big, shiny brand is something that’s easy for them to understand.

BRAND. LUXURY ITEM. VERY EASY TO USE.

Anyone who’s able to think for themselves is at least considering dumping over-expensive consoles and over-expensive games in favour of hooking up a computer to their telly. And when you factor in bargain sites like nuuvem.br into the equation, on the same week of release, I can get a triple-A game for 20 per cent the price that you paid for it, or less!

Consoles are for rich people, technophobes, the less intelligent… usually people who’re bad at maths, and fail to realise that the cost of the games add up to be more than the initial investment of the machine itself. It’s a voluntary tax for the stupid. Just like the lottery!

I honestly don’t have a high opinion of someone’s intelligence if they’ve rushed out to buy a PS4 or XBox One. And whilst ‘rushing out to buy a new graphics card’ is what you tell yourself to feel justified in your stupidity, that doesn’t happen, what does happen is your sort rushing out to preorder games for ten times the cost of what I pay.

Per. Game.

Now THAT is stupid. And yet you’re so smug and superior.

#17 4 months ago
  18. TheWulf

I agree completely. I think a lot of it is down to open worlds, honestly, which is just another way to say ‘sloppily designed,’ often out of laziness. The best designed games I’ve seen are those with levels based around a hub, where you can re-enter levels as you please. The levels have a degree of exploration, but every polygon was hand placed, and those games feel like a whole lot of effort has gone into them.

Open world games, to me, feel algorithmic — procedurally generated. I can see it in GTA IV. Almost all of GTA IV was terrain/city gen, with very little work done by hand at all, and this is true for almost every open world game in existence. The problem is so bad in, say, Elder Scrolls games that people feel the need to ‘de-randomise’ areas by creating hand-crafted segments where they have this sort of ‘chunk’ of hand-made content which is all connected together. It’s the reaction of a good designer to the open world genre, because it’s so very, very lazy.

I’ve mentioned this before, but in general, I really despise open world games. I’m a creative person, I love to world build and design, and I’m disgusted by how effortless open world things are. I can appreciate the artistry that goes into a game with hand-crafted areas, but because of the budgets of games, these days, those are falling behind in favour of schlock-ware, yet another open world, just like the last.

I want a return to levels. I wouldn’t mind lower resolution textures, either, and stylised graphics. I can name numerous old PC games that feel far better to play than more modern experiences. I can do this with console games, too, if I desired. I don’t understand the fetishism with high resolution textures. What’s the point of having incredibly realistic tree bark if the area the tree is in looks shit, and like it was designed by a computer program rather than a person, lacking any of the beauty or artistry that an actual person would bring to it?

I’m sick of schlocky open world nonsense, it’s all the same, it’s all so samey, and I’m beginning to categorise it as gaming for less insightful, creative, imaginative people. I guess if you’re not perceptive, and you don’t really notice how horribly samey and characterless it is, then you won’t care. I’ve often heard the best designers say that they think of a level as being a person, with their own quirks, eccentricities, flaws, and joys; each vastly different from each other. That, say, if your levels all feel the same, then you’re a horrible designer.

And that’s what open world is. Remove the loading screens and you can fool less intelligent people into believing that a game where all the levels are exactly the same is worthwhile. Back in the day, if Half-Life felt the same throughout, with each level being the same as the last, we would have panned it. Same for any good game from that period — because generally, that was the introverts, not the mainstream.

Now we have the mainstream, they don’t care about good design, they’re happy to just consume this constant stream of schlock. I will persist that an open world game cannot look good. Even Obisidian realised this with Fallout: New Vegas. They went with a really barren desert for their open world, and instead focused on creating really, truly memorable interiors. The vaults were different from each other, the two Repconn buildings had their own unique personalities, it was old-school design.

I think all people care about these days is the momentary thrill.

BROTHER. LET US HAVE A WAR.

YEH. WAR.

BROTHER. LET US HAVE ANOTHER WAR. OVER THERE. WITH SIMILAR PEOPLE.

YEH. WAR.

BROTHER. LET US HAVE ANOTHER WAR, OVER THERE. WITH SIMILAR PEOPLE WHO’RE STRANGELY STRONGER AND ACCOMPANIED BY ONE LESS SIMILAR PERSON.

YEH. WAR.

BROTHER. LET US HAVE ANOTHER WAR WITH THESE PEOPLE WHO SEEM INCREDIBLY SIMILAR BUT THEY HAVE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT CLO–OH, NO, WAIT, THEY’RE THE SAME PEOPLE WE FOUGHT EARLIER. BUT LET’S WAR WITH THEM ANYWAY.

YEH. WAR.

And. So. On. Ad. Nauseum.

And I know I’m right about this because I have a cousin who’s exactly like this, they just want to fight shit, kill shit, and have wars. YEH. WAR. Because it’s all they know. They’re not really interested in being swept away by a really sterling level design, wanting to look at everything, to explore, to feel it out, to soak it in, to understand its character. They have no patience for that. They just want to kill shit. That’s why Skyrim was Skyrim, after all.

It’s all about the male power fantasy, now.

It’s just about killing shit.

And that’s why games disappoint me, these days. They used to have brilliant level designs, platforming, puzzles, storylines, characters, ingenuity, innovation, cleverness, colour… oh, the colour, how I miss it. They had that and more. These days…

Here is a box.

Stand in the box.

It is a very big box with lots of things in it that are the same.

Kill shit.

That’s Skyrim, that’s GTA, that’s Assassin’s Creed, that’s all of it.

I’m sick of it. I miss games with levels.

#18 4 months ago
  19. TheWulf

That’s what I’ve been doing, kind of. :P That’s why I haven’t been around much. I’ve just been revelling in how good old games were. How… not for stupid people they were.

I miss level design.

I hope the shift back to the PC as the mainstream adopts mobiles means we’ll get level design and just intelligent games overall back.

#19 4 months ago
  20. super3001

^ I need button to make this wall of boring garbage go away.

#20 4 months ago
  21. Panthro

@super3001

There is; its called a scroll bar, it has multiple buttons, don’t scroll passed the adverts, problem solved.

#21 4 months ago
  22. fearmonkey

All I will say is after having nothing But Nvidia cards after 3dfx died, and getting a system with a Ati 7870 , I have been very happy with that card. It’s handled most games at 1440p maxed, only a handful wouldnt work at max settings on it so far.

#22 4 months ago
  23. DarkElfa

@TheWulf I want to have smart babies with you Wulf.

#23 4 months ago
  24. polygem

@TheWulf

:D yeah, the good old games. sometimes you can still have the most fun with the old stuff.

the current trends in gaming are not for me for the most part. that´s for sure. i don´t want more moviegames or games that offer me no challenge at all. these games can be fun sometimes if the gameplay is fun but in the end, they feel shallow way too often. they make me feel like i only wasted my time. i experienced that a lot in the last few years with a lot of the games i have played on ps3 and 360.

i share your thoughts about the PC in post #17 and want to add my 2 cents.

pcs´ are becoming more accessible while consoles are coming with more and more trade offs (subscritptions, very expensive games etc.)

i believe that this console generation could indeed be the last one. i also believe that the decent ps4 and xbox one sales don´t really prove that this will stay a healthy business for the next years to come. that everything will be fine, that console gaming has never been stronger. in fact, i believe that it is in a decline and we only see the last gasp of console gaming as we know it.

they need to think out of the box much more if they want to survive in a future market. just releasing more powerful machines every few years wont work anymore in the not so distant future. the market is shifting. mainly to pc and to mobile.

pcs´are becoming so much more accessible, so much cheaper. almost everyone has one, almost everyone needs one. the youth grows up with pcs´and mobiles. many live and breath these things, chat with friends, are online all the time, use these machines for job, school, communication. they play games there as well.

the twens, and the guys in their 30´s and up. they have consoles, they grew up with them. the new kids….not so much, maybe dad has a console but they rather play on their pc alone, or on their mobile.

the big fat years are over as well. the economy faces a severe recession. people think twice before buying into stuff and i believe that it will stay like that or get even worse for many -many years to come.

subscriptions could be the downfall of the consoles but at the same time they could be the future of sony and ms too, maybe nintendo as well (eventhough i believe that they will find another niche, where they can stay relevant in the hardware business as well because they really have a different focus in this market. they are aiming at a different audience anyway really. it already shows today).

we´ll see where all this goes and before shit hits the fan again. @ everyone: try to stay polite. this is just a videogame site. let´s discuss. that´s part of the fun. noone has to agree with another opinion but every opinion is just as valid as the other. try to keep that in mind.

#24 4 months ago
  25. Joe Musashi

Fragmenting your market is never a good idea.

And a repeat-insulter that defends other-repeat insulters and self-confessed trolls really has no position instructing others to remain polite. Hypocrite.

JM

#25 4 months ago
  26. polygem

@Joe Musashi
    aha and a (multiple times) banned troll has the right to call others trolls? yes? no? hypocrite? :D

stop it joe, stay on topic, or just don´t bother posting at all. it´s [tiresome]

#26 4 months ago
  27. Joe Musashi

[Tireless] deflection and evasion. Habitual hypocrite.

JM

#27 4 months ago
  28. polygem

oh you eternal, neverending, embarassing catalyst you

#28 4 months ago
  29. Joe Musashi

Embarassment would be demonstrating to everyone that you’re unable to behave in the manner you just instructed others to. Whoops.

When you double your standards, you halve your credibility.

JM

#29 4 months ago
  30. polygem

@Joe Musashi

#30 4 months ago
  31. Hcw87

Get a room.

#31 4 months ago
  32. polygem

@Hcw87 oh, i´d love to but i doubt that joe would be man enough for it. :D

#32 4 months ago
  33. LisciousOne

@polygem @TheWulf
    I think you guys are twisting a lot of facts to suit your arguments. What proof is there that console gaming is dead? Record XB1 sales that exceed X360 sales? PS4 on target to surpass PS2? This generation of consoles has gotten off to an amazing start, so how do you interpret this to mean that “this could be the last console generation”? You say people are shifting from consoles and mobile to PC? Does it not occur to you that the ones shifting could be the Wii crowd, that only got into console gaming (Wii mostly) as a fad. This very same crowd are not early adopters when it comes to gaming as Microsoft found out the hard way, having to drop kinect to pull in this crowd. Perhaps these people you claim are moving away from consoles are in fact just casual fad-type-gamers that consider their PC/mobile a gaming device if it can play Candy Crush. Well at least at the end of your post you did say it’s an opinion but you inadvertantly tried to pass your opinions as facts.

Does it not occur to you guys that not every gamer enjoys, let alone has the time to tinker with PC setting and drivers to get the best experience out of a game? I myself started gaming on PC but the convenience of consoles made me switch. Theres nothing wrong with that and at the end of the day, it’s all subjective. You find console gaming movie-like and unintelligent maybe. Fine, but there is a market for that. I can’t stand Justin Beiber, but there is a market for what he does and I respect that. I think you guys need to the same.

You should count the number of buttons a game controller for PS4/XB1 has sometime and think realistically how many people can use them efficiently without having to look at the pad every two seconds. Chances are these people are core gamers and know very well the difference between a PC and a console, but choose to game on console for different reasons. The rest that have problems using a controller are…or should I say were the ones that spearheaded things like the wii/kinect etc. But now that their over it, their moving to play the casual and non-hardware demanding games you alluded to on the mobile phones and PCs they’ve always had anyway.

Another premise you make is that everybody hopping onto the PC bandwagon will have the inclination and knowledge to take it apart and install a new graphics card or motherboard etc. Yet you contradict yourself by saying Devs are going for simpler type of games that will run on a wider variety of PCs, therefore rendering AAA type games irrelevant then in your PC-gaming-only world? Wouldn’t that lead to even more fragmentation of the market which someone on this thread also alluded to as not good?

The way you guys talk about console gaming is almost as if you look forward to it not existing. I can’t help but feel that tone in what you guys wrote. What you forget though is that consoles will always have a place due to what their sole purpose is. Yes you can get shinier graphics on a PC but the PC wasn’t necessarily invented with gaming in mind, or at least not exclusively. I work on a PC all day and would definitely not look forward to “relaxing” in front of one when I get home or tinkering with drivers or settings just to play a game. That doesn’t make me dumb or stupid, it just makes me and other’s that feel the same way a market that MS and Sony can reach out to.

#33 4 months ago
  34. Panthro

@LisciousOne

“tinkering with drivers or settings just to play a game.”

Always makes me laugh.

#34 4 months ago
  35. LisciousOne

@Panthro
    I didnt mean to offend you but my ignorance just reinforces my point. I really don’t know what PC gaming/hardware involves, and learning it doesn’t appeal to me. It wasn’t meant as an insult.

#35 4 months ago
  36. Panthro

@LisciousOne

Dude, I’m not offended?

#36 4 months ago
  37. LisciousOne

@Panthro
    Oh ok, my bad. Not sure why I got all defensive or interpreted you comment that way then.

#37 4 months ago
  38. Panthro

@LisciousOne

A driver update is just like a system update on a console, you get a notification telling you a new one is available and if you would like to install it, you select yes (entirely optional though, everything still functions if you don’t) and it downloads and installs in the background, doesn’t get much simpler.

I just get a kick out of seeing that wrote over and over again on forum walls as if installing a driver is a daunting task when really it is the same as a system update only it isn’t mandatory like it is on console if you want to stay connected to the internet.

#38 4 months ago
  39. Joe Musashi

“I think you guys are twisting a lot of facts to suit your arguments. What proof is there that console gaming is dead?”

When a favoured brand is underperforming, it’s better to shift responsibility onto the entire market and divert it away from the favoured brand. Sweetening a bitter pill:

“My team is out of the premier league! Soccer is DOOMED”.

JM

#39 4 months ago
  40. LisciousOne

@Panthro
    Ok, now I get you. You do know perception is reality though sometimes and although most PC gamers know how simple that is, there are so many out there that don’t. I feel a bit silly now that you’ve said that lol, but i think my point still stands that in my eyes (rightly or wrongly) building a gaming rig is close to being a hobby? Or at least knowing how to do so?

#40 4 months ago
  41. Joe Musashi

@40 Mileage varies.

My gaming PC is one I built and sourced component by component. I have all last-gen consoles and one current-gen console. And tablets. And smartphones.

The implication that everything about using/buying/investing in a console is identical to a PC apart from the performance benefits of a gaming PC are a fallacy. There a many differences and whilst the benefits of a gaming PC are many, the investment (not just money) is far higher.

Having a PC is pretty common. Having a gaming PC tends to be for gaming enthusiasts. Building your own gaming PC tends to be a bit higher up that enthusiast scale.

By contrast, many people can walk into a game store, ask for “That X-Station U console” and blithely stagger off with something they’ll get use of. Performance differences simply won’t be seen by such a demographic.

As I said, mileage varies. Case studies are subjective. There is no one ‘best’ platform and anyone that asserts that there is and plays down the investment or plays up the performance is being very selective.

I will say this:

- There is nothing like that new-console smell.
    - There is nothing like getting a new PC game, going to video options and setting everything to ultra.

Mileage varies.

JM

#41 4 months ago
  42. Panthro

@LisciousOne

Sure is, at least I treat it as a hobby alongside gaming.
    I loved and was fascinated by computers when I was young (still am young really, only 20) went to college studying computers and now I have a job involving teaching general IT and maintaining all of the computers in that environment. So it was a hobby, turned into a job and now it is a little bit of both.

Having a gaming PC isn’t as simple as having a console, it isn’t but it isn’t as complicated as some people think either. Its mostly a rewarding experience, especially with the community that comes along with it, they aren’t all elitists.

#42 4 months ago
  43. LisciousOne

@Joe Musashi
    Couldn’t have said it better.

#43 4 months ago
  44. polygem

@LisciousOne

first: what i posted isn´t based on facts. it doesn´t need to be. i am just a guy talking about games on a gamessite. it´s all just speculation anyway. noone can look into the future. i am not saying that i am right and everyone else is wrong. these are just my thoughts about this and even these thoughts and conclusions, constantly change. i am open for new argumens but this is what i currently, as a lifelong gamer, think about gaming these days. i could be sooo wrong about this, sure but so could you or anyone else.

i am a console gamer. i had a decent pc as a student in the mid/late 90´s which i shared with a flatmate and i also had a (used) c64 as a kid / the old one from my cousin when he went amiga 500 :D but for the most part i have always been a console gamer. i still don´t know much about pcs´tbh. i only bought into one this year again after being disappointed with the xbox one reveal and my hands on experience with the ps4. i still use consoles as well.

in fact, i deeply love console gaming. to me there is no pc vs consoles at all.

what i do not like are the latest trends in gaming and especially in console gaming (see my last post).

i am aware that there is a market for games that i personally don´t enjoy. i don´t blame anyone for enjoying these games. everyone can enjoy what they want of course. so can i….and i can criticize these things.

but…pcs´ are becoming more and more accessible and this trend continues, especially with a changing demographic in mind and more and more tech savy kids growing up. it is unstopable really. it will only improve from here. this is natural technological evolution. the shift to mobile is pretty much undeniable at this point too.

i think console gaming is in trouble because of that. console tech is outdated as soon as it releases. the pc can adapt, can be upgraded and with the pc becoming more accessible and cheaper, i think that at some point this will become a problem for the consoles and because of that, the console manufacturres must try to find different and smart long term solutions to stay relevant in the gaming market.
    to me that is really just a logical conclusion.

the tech is just there now. we´ve reached a benchmark. pcs´ aren´t cryptic, hard to understand elitist devices anymore. they become more mainstream day by day by day. media centers, stream mahines, steam machines, gaming machines etc. if that´s a good thing or a bad thing is not up to me to judge.

pc gaming is getting more attractive recently. be it variety, pricing etc. it´s getting more accessible too. buying and installing a game on steam is just as easy as it is on ps4 or xbox – if not easier. it´s often cheaper too. it´s becoming a tough competition. in fact, it already is.

that does not mean that i WANT console gaming to die. NO WAY! but i indeed believe that the market will drastically change in the not so distant future and that the big 3 should better prepare today before being sorry tomorrow.

#44 4 months ago
  45. polygem

@Panthro #38
    i +1 that btw. i was pretty afraid because of all those internet myths going on. like i said, i owned my last pc in the late 90´s and then only had a mac mini which i mainly used as a media computer and for surfing the web. i thought pc gaming would be too difficult for me, too demanding to cryptic. well. it isn´t. it has all been streamlined so much in the past few years. i just updated my drivers yesterday actually. i was surfing the web, a pop up asked me if i want to update the drivers. i clicked yes. it downloaded in the background, then it asked me again if i want to install. i clicked yes again, installed in the background…in the meantime i just kept surfing the web…

#45 4 months ago
  46. Legendaryboss

How in the hell did this happen???

Scanning…

Oh. Well post 33 makes good arguments, hitting the nail on the head as they say.

#46 4 months ago
  47. polygem

classic :D

#47 4 months ago
  48. Legendaryboss

@polygem Okay dokey?

#48 4 months ago
  49. spoffle

nVidia has been up to this sort of stuff for years now, it’s hardly a surprise.

#49 4 months ago
  50. stretch215

Username “panthro” being 20 yrs old explains a LOT.

#50 4 months ago
  51. tatsujin

I remember when AMD lashed out their booth party across the street with thei Hawaii Cards (power hogging shitty cards for same performance compared to Nvidia, btw). Where did that go? Huh?

AMD in general is behind in the CPU department (GENERATIONS behind) Intel and they’re drivers are crap compared to Nvidia. Step up your game instead of complaining.

My next upgrade will either be GTX Titan Black or the GTX 880 SC/FTW editions. I’ll need the benchmarks for both, first.

#51 4 months ago
  52. polygem

@stretch215

yeah i agree. it´s pretty impressive how well thought out his opinions are for a guy that young.

#52 4 months ago
  53. LisciousOne

@polygem
    Fair enough. I respect your opinion but I strongly feel console gaming, no matter how behind PC gaming, has a place in the gaming industry. I think the crowd that’s willing to have less powerful hardware, that will enable them to play AAA games and have a comparable (not necessarily superior) experience to PC and most importantly, at a fraction of the price, will always exist. What I find hard to believe about your argument is that, all of a suddenly, every console gamer is going to have to take up PC gaming and have to acquire the necessary knowledge that goes with getting the best out of their rigs etc. I appreciate that some find that rewarding but I just do not have the patience or will to do that, and thats fine. Either that or no more hardware demanding games and everyone goes casual if that happens?
    I kinda see where you’re coming from but it’s unimaginable to me. I’m about the age of the average gamer (apparently 34) and my lifestyle doesn’t suit mobile gaming. I work all day drive home etc. I simply dont have the time. Even if the younger gamers are on mobile devices, they will grow up one day right? Come to think of it when I was young and in boarding school, I owned a Sega GameGear, Nintendo Gameboy…can’t remember what else but as I grew up and lifestyle changed, I eventually ended up on console. Mobile gaming in my youth existed in some form come to think of it but my needs changed and I’m assuming history will repeat itself, no? I don’t know, just my opinion.

#53 4 months ago
  54. CPC_RedDawn

This is funny because I am playing this game on AMD HD7970 @ 1150/1650 1.138v

Playing it maxed out everything Ultra 1080p 4xMSAA and still getting a nice locked 30fps with no dips at all.

Game looks gorgeous with some of the best animation I have ever seen and some great gameplay.

People need to learn how to optimize and use a PC properly before posting shit they have no idea what they are talking about.

#54 4 months ago
  55. Panthro

@stretch215
    @Polygem

What does it explain?

Do you not believe my age?

#55 4 months ago
  56. Panthro

@polygem

And I’ll take that as a compliment, as long as it wasn’t sarcasm?

#56 4 months ago
  57. JonMontague

Look, i for a fact am not the smartest person with pcs but i do know my handfulls. This game could have had wayy less conplications if they didnt decide that they were going to target the ones with the equiment to handle it and not just make it compatible all around. The fact being that i cant even play on low quality setting without getting past 5 fps is rediculous and i have a windows 8 laptop dual core amd e-300 processor,hd 5000 series grapics and 1.8 Ghz. Now im not sure about the technical definitions of anything about perfomance shit but when i have a computer made to run high def graphics and a high def game barely loads when installed fully, not even on hd setting, is complete bullshit and a waste of money. I dont even know where to start the blame or how i blame them. Greed? Lazyness maybe? Idk. But it seems to me that they are targeting the more fortunate rather than the working class or lower so they could prevent online lag like how battlefield and call of duty have experienced. This would be more understandable but why not have more control over user stability with the network and gameplay by itself? Something doesnt add up in this equations….thoughts??

#57 3 months ago
  58. Panthro

@JonMontague

The game is an unoptimised piece of crap on every platform, it just is.

But that laptop you have is not made to run high def games either. Pretty much running in circles but it’s true.

#58 3 months ago