Halo 5: Guardians due on Xbox One fall 2015

Friday, 16th May 2014 11:00 GMT By Matt Martin

Microsoft has lifted the lid on the next chapter in its long-running FPS series, with Halo 5: Guardians due autumn 2015.

20130902_halo_5_xbox_one

Unsurprisingly, the game is due on Xbox One and features a brand new engine, according to Bonnie Ross of 343 Industries. The Halo TV series is also expected to air in fall 2015.

Here’s some tasty new art.

Halo 5 mirage art

“Making a Halo game that runs at 60 frames per second, on dedicated servers, with the scope, features and scale we’ve been dreaming of for more than a decade, is non-trivial” – 343 Industries

Microsoft promised more info at E3 next month. In the meantime, here’s Bonnie Ross to tell you about the journey from Halo 4 to Halo 5:

“Any time you transition to a new platform, there is the opportunity to look at things with a new perspective. For us at 343 Industries, the launch of the Xbox One was an opportunity to think about what stories we wanted to tell, how to tell them, and how best to push the Halo franchise to showcase the platform. And, most importantly, combining our passion for Halo with the vocal and informative input from our fans.

Halo isn’t simply a perennial game franchise, it’s a part of the Xbox platform itself. In terms of innovation and ideation, it’s sometimes important to people who might not even play Halo. And of course it’s a passion and an essential experience for two generations of gamers. So we asked ourselves, how do we begin and where do we go with Halo on Xbox One?

In the past, Halo games have pushed the Xbox forward, showcasing the console and its ecosystem in entertaining and innovative ways. Making a Halo game that runs at 60 frames per second, on dedicated servers, with the scope, features and scale we’ve been dreaming of for more than a decade, is non-trivial. It’s a task that we, at 343 Industries, are taking very seriously to ensure we deliver the Halo game that fans deserve, and a game that is built from the ground up for Xbox One.

I’m happy to reveal that Halo 5: Guardians, the next installment in the legendary saga of the Master Chief, will launch on Xbox One in fall of 2015.  In the tradition of every Halo game since its debut in 2001, it is a massive and exciting project.

Halo 5: Guardians is a bigger effort than Halo 4.  That applies to the content and scope of the game, as well as the technology in what’s now a brand new and more powerful engine.  Certainly there are some core elements carried over from prior games, but we’ve invested a huge effort in retooling our tech to take full advantage of the Xbox One’s hardware and ecosystem to create worlds and experiences worthy of next-gen.

It’s a game that will hopefully demonstrate the talent, learnings and abilities of the 343 Industries team. A game that will incorporate the things we learned from Halo 4 about technology, aesthetics, performance and scale – and perhaps more importantly, understanding and embracing a community of gamers who love what lies at the heart of this game, and the limitless potential of the Halo universe.

And 2015 won’t simply be the year of Halo 5: Guardians, it will also be a year that offers us a unique opportunity. The opportunity to invite old friends and new audiences into that universe through the Halo television series, launched as a unique collaboration with Steven Spielberg and some of the finest creative minds in the business.  A series that will stand alone, as well as complement and enrich the game experience.  We’ll have more to share on the Halo television series as we near its projected fall 2015 release.

Your Journey Begins in 2014

Many fans noted that I was very deliberate with my phrasing on stage at E3 last year. I spoke about a “journey,” rather than a destination – and that journey definitely begins in 2014 with a giant leap, rather than one small step. We’ll give you much more information about our plans for this year at the Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing on June 9, and we’re confident that Halo fans will be pretty excited the special plans we have in store.

So until E3, I’d like to express my gratitude to our massive and varied Halo community, whose energy, enthusiasm, criticism and kindness are the driving force behind what we do and what we hope to achieve in Halo 5: Guardians.”

1. Legendaryboss

Shit just got real and another bombshell before E3…

So looks like that Halo Anniversary 2 has some weight for it now, Halo 5 beta packed in.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

However that just lends credence to the theory that 2015 will be year new gen is defined and this year is the year of the remasters/definitive editions/ports and so on.

#2 4 months ago
  3. The_Red

Smart move by MS.

They have successfully sandwiched the terribly negative Xbox One news (NPD and sales numbers) between TWO amazingly positive Xbox One news.
    Kinect-less Xbox One was revealed just before NPD release and Halo 5 was revealed just after it.

Not only the XB1 dialogue will shift towards H5 (Rather than mediocre NA sales), it makes E3 look even more exciting and ultimately, overshadows the sales, numbers and NPD talk.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Erthazus

I want to see that new engine and 60 fps in action. show me next gen.
    If okay looking Killzone:Shadow Fall was not in 60 fps and we are talking about PS4 that is more powerfull I’m interested in this E3 demo.

#4 4 months ago
  5. Matt Martin

Just updated the date. It’s fall 2015. Sorry for any confusion.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Legendaryboss

@The_Red Yeah these announcements are very reactionary to current trends with negativity.

#6 4 months ago
  7. Erthazus

@The_Red Smart Mopve? LOL. Everyone knew about Halo 5 already lol

#7 4 months ago
  8. Eliv

So, when are going to see MS’s “renewed focus” on windows and pc gaming? Releasing HD editions of games like Age of Empires/Age of Wonders is not going to cut it.

#8 4 months ago
  9. GuuR

@ Legendaryboss Even if 2014 is the year of remasters etc. I am enjoying it immensely on my PS4.

So, autumn 2015 seems the period where I’ll probably buy me an Xbox One. Probably…

#9 4 months ago
  10. Kreion

@Erthazus

I hope that it is pretty – and I expect it will be. I mean this game has been in production for a while now and they clearly wanted to wait and put as much polish into the game and engine as they could. Otherwise they’d have released it up against ShadowFall.

#10 4 months ago
  11. COGNITO

Major Bombs dropped by Phil early. (Sunset/Price Drop/Games4Gold) Now Halo. All noteworthy and usually reserved for an E3 conference. Things have gotten very interesting for 6/9

#11 4 months ago
  12. FreeZZa

I’ve always liked Halo, I own every Halo – except Halo Wars, but that one doesn’t cound anyway, does it – and I’m going to buy this one for sure. I’ve never been particularly good at these types of games, but something about the halo franchise always grabbed me. I’m very excited for this game and I’m pretty sure they’ll announce Halo 2: Anniversary at E3. Good times to be an Xbox One owner, honestly. Phil Spencer is making good decisions, I guess.

#12 4 months ago
  13. GK

halo in the morning,halo in the afternoon,halo in the evening :D halo,halo,halo :D tv tv tv,forza forza forza :) nothing new,same old shit from m$.very creative firm :D

#13 4 months ago
  14. Edo

The search fo’ mo’ money continues.

#14 4 months ago
  15. LoGiK

Visor glowing blue? So uh……Cortana confirmed for robot spartan

#15 4 months ago
  16. bradk825

@The_Red It’s almost as if Xbox’s marketing team decided to start showing up at work and doing stuff. I don’t know where they were this time last year, lol.

Looks like a major update to the armour, either that or a new main character is being introduced.

#16 4 months ago
  17. jomac3db

@GK lol

#17 4 months ago
  18. jomac3db

Even though I bought the x1, I’m not getting galo. Ps4 is gonna hurt ms feelings at e3. Halo vs uncharted 4, God of war4, deep down, the order 1886, Quantic dream, and 2 new ip’s from Sony Japan. Good luck Xbox lol

#18 4 months ago
  19. OmegaSlayer

60 FPS at 834p, or some other silly resolution MS can come up with. ^___^

#19 4 months ago
  20. Kreion

@jomac3db
    Because Halo 5 is the only exclusive they have – I mean that’s the only way your comment makes any sense right? Otherwise you’d be ignoring any other franchise like a blind fanb- oh wait. -.-

#20 4 months ago
  21. melonbuster1

All this info before e3. All sony will show are cgi demos and indie crapware. Where are the games sony. Come on already. Games with replay value. Microsoft will launch in all the territories that the ps4 has soon then what happens. . Because they are keeping pace now. They should eclipse ps4 sales by 2015

#21 4 months ago
  22. zoopdeloop

@jomac3db
    Halo,God of War even Uncharted have been milked a lot already and while these franchises are somewhat enjoyable they have become stale after so many installments.I hope their respective developers evolve take risks and move to other projects.
    i don’t see Sony having the edge for that reason…same old

#22 4 months ago
  23. ManuOtaku

Well as a halo fan, this sounds promising, i hope they focus more on artistic graphics with good decent pixel count, than just pixel count.
    Also They do focus on the performance, the halo games most of the time did run like silk, pretty Top notch gameplay.

#23 4 months ago
  24. fengato

Looking forward to Halo 2 Anni, though hoping Bonnie’s giant leap is the H5 beta for Dec. I’d happily shell out for a Kinectless console if it’s comin’.

#24 4 months ago
  25. Panthro

@zoopdeloop

The release of 10 milked franchises are better than 1 milked franchise.

Halo is done, everything they can do with the series has been done already, I might get surprised but I doubt it, not after the terrible Halo 4 campaign.

People are still excited though and thats a good thing, but everyone knows expectations never live up to reality, and MS have a tendency to hype and then under deliver.

#25 4 months ago
  26. Hcw87

Lets hope it’s not another Halo Reach (where you play as someone else than MC). The sub-title worries me in that regard.

Also, Halo Multiplayer haven’t been good since Halo 3. Way too CoD inspired in the latter games. Go back to old school Halo, with no perks, Armor Abilities, KDR focused leaderboards etc. That shit belongs in CoD and only CoD.

Bring back Firefight aswell.

#26 4 months ago
  27. Kreion

@Panthro

The Halo 4 campaign wasn’t terrible. It wasn’t the best, but it wasn’t terrible either – Halo 2 has the worst campaign by far of any of the games. you can say what you like about the spin off games, but none of the main series games have been bad. Halo CE was good, Halo 2 was okay, with good multiplayer, Halo 3 was very good, Halo Reach had a good campaign and Halo 4 was better than Reach (overall).

Also in regards to the multiplayer – I wonder if people would actually play it more of it went back to a more arena shooter style. People may ask for it, but most people who want arena shooters play on the PC not consoles…hard to say.

#27 4 months ago
  28. ManuOtaku

@Hcw87 armor abilities were kind of fun, my favorite one was activating drop shield prior being engage by a ghost, and watch it explode. For the rest i do agree, perks, etc.

#28 4 months ago
  29. Nintendo1985

Phil Spencer said that they had so much news to talk about at the E3 that it wouldn’t fit with in 90 minutes. Could this be why they mentioned announced this week the Xbox price drop and now this halo 5 announcement? Maybe they announced these things now to clear up some more space forward their E3 presentation

#29 4 months ago
  30. marporte

@Panthro Well its kinda hard to define milked when this is the 11th halo game if we count spin offs and HD remakes since they are doing every HD remake as a seprate entity and not combing them. Pretty soon we will have a Fable 2 anniversary edition then a Fable 3 one at a time. MS could have did an HD set like Sony but they are making us pay 40 bucks and giving a beta that they could easily sell for free like the Titanfall beta. When MS releases Gears of War as a remake (because MS has less franchises to milk because they didn’t invest in much in terms of series for two generations) I hope it is all at once and not following this model where we get one game and then a beta for a new Gears that will be part of a new trilogy 3 times in a row. That being said Halo is the reason to buy an X1 because when it finally comes out on 2015 they are going to bundle it with the system for the 400 price tag at Christmas time at all the retailers maybe even less

#30 4 months ago
  31. Kabby

No one gives a shit about Halo. It’s over.

#31 4 months ago
  32. jomac3db

@Kabby lol, stick a fork in halo cause they been done.

#32 4 months ago
  33. jomac3db

U darn Skippy Ima Sony fan boy. They have better games and that’s the truth

#33 4 months ago
  34. jomac3db

The last halo I got was this Beyoncé – Halo: http://youtu.be/bnVUHWCynig

#34 4 months ago
  35. Hcw87

Such a flawed statement. Halo is CoD tier when it comes to sales.

Which games? We’ll have to wait for E3 for the Sony bombs to drop (and they better bring the big guns).

Currently they have Last of Us remastered, Uncharted (with a heavily reduced dev-team) and DriveClub. They have yet to announce a ”Halo-like” announcement. The Last Guardian would be that announcement.

#35 4 months ago
  36. Hcw87

^
    MANUAL EDIT BUTTON:

+The Order 1886

#36 4 months ago
  37. marporte

@Hcw87 Also Deep Down and there are several trademarks that have been registered leading to E3 including one that is rumored to be the successor to demon souls

#37 4 months ago
  38. BrokenSpline

@Hcw87
    “(with a heavily reduced dev-team)”

Its not heavily reduced they still have the same number of people. So some leads and stuff left they also hired some more and the people that left left at the butt end of development if they are aiming for their typical release window for the series they would just be getting into the polish phase.

#38 4 months ago
  39. jomac3db

@Hcw87 the order 1886 and Quantic dreams big game

#39 4 months ago
  40. jomac3db

Add me on Xbox live and psn. Jomac3db

#40 4 months ago
  41. Hcw87

Deep Down doesn’t interest me in the slightest. F2P game with beyond clunky combat.

Also the visuals are nowhere near the ”ingame” trailer they showed at the PS4 reveal. Not what i’d call a heavy hitter for Sony.

Some pretty important people left Naughty Dog.

#41 4 months ago
  42. marporte

@Hcw87 Monster Hunter has clunky controls and sub par graphics and I put in tons of hours on the Vita and the Wii versions because despite that it is addictive and fun so I have faith in Capcom handling this.

#42 4 months ago
  43. marporte

@marporte When I mean Vita I mean the psp versions that I play on Vita

#43 4 months ago
  44. BrokenSpline

@Hcw87

And some people got hired on to replace them. People leave jobs all the time its only recently that game sites make it a big deal as if that 1 or a few people actually made the game what it is. Hitn: It isn’t its the group dynamic that made the game(s) what it is.

#44 4 months ago
  45. DjCowHerder

When the news broke I thought it was this fall, Oh well. Really looking forward to this.

Roll on H2A this fall.

#45 4 months ago
  46. antraxsuicide

The_Red knows what’s up. MS has already stated that 90 minutes is not enough time for their info, so they’re releasing info beforehand. This builds hype and frees up room. Hell, just look at the headlines for the past few weeks (and the next few weeks as well, if the trend keeps up). It’s nothing but “MS, MS, MS, Xbox, Xbox, Xbox, etc…” That’s fantastic before E3.

The only thing they have to do is deliver. And I’m sure they will. Last year’s show was great, but this one feels like a landmark year for E3.

#46 4 months ago
  47. jomac3db

@antraxsuicide I don’t know about all that landmark but im glad they are coming out witha halo collection because people like me who never played it can now thanx to ms. I’ve been playing Playstation since 95 so this gives mea chance to interact with my Xbox 1 now

#47 4 months ago
  48. reask

What is it that bothers people really on which is better?
    We have 3 devices that play games this gen if we include wii u.

So play game be happy or not really.
    Is it that hard?
    I own none of them btw as my ps360 does more than enough atm to keep me occupied.

#48 4 months ago
  49. mistermogul

I lost interest in Halo after Combat Evolved.

All the sequels felt like I was just replaying the same game over and over!

#49 4 months ago