Bulletstorm pulled from Steam

Thursday, 20th March 2014 23:49 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Bulletstorm has vanished from Steam, as spotted by Slashgear, with speculation blaming the upcoming demise of Games for Windows Live. We’ve asked EA whether it’ll pop back up with Steamworks or similar, but Bulletstorm is still available via Origin. Games for Windows Live shutters on July 1, and assuming the games that use it transition to another DRM solution, it’s unlikely anybody will mourn its passing.

Thanks, games.on.net.

1. salarta

.. And Bulletstorm sucks, so it’s not much of a loss.

I played for over an hour, not much worthwhile to it even after reaching the sole token female character of a dudebrofest kind of game.

#1 6 months ago
  2. BrokenSpline

@salarta

Of course you would say that. I however enjoyed the hell out of the game. I play it whenever I feel like a good FPS.

#2 6 months ago
  3. the Bridgeburner

@salarta

I have to agree. I found the gameplay somewhat novel at first, but found it wore thin after the incessant juvenile nature of the dialogue, humour and bleh story undermined it.

#3 6 months ago
  4. silkvg247

Hmmm I own this but not tried it yet. Does that mean I can’t install / play it? If so who do I claim a refund from? :p

#4 6 months ago
  5. Aretak

@silkvg247 No, once you’ve bought something on Steam it stays in your library, even if they stop selling it. You could even still activate it if you had a spare key laying around. I added Homefront this morning via a boxed copy key (since it was only £1 on Amazon), and that was removed from Steam sometime last year.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Michael Ireland

The story and dialogue were dumb as nails, but the game was fully aware of the fact. You’re not suppose to take it seriously.

The gameplay is bloody great.

#6 6 months ago
  7. IntrovertedOne

This game had a devoted following and deserved a sequel, if AAA didn’t demand every game be the next blockbuster we would have it.
    But it sure seems trendy to make fun of for those who haven’t played enough fps to know better.

#7 6 months ago
  8. TheWulf

The thing about Bulletstorm is that it actually isn’t a “dudebro” game, it’s a damned good satire of one. They’re heartlessly taking the piss out of all of those tropes, as you find out as you progress into the game.

And Trishka (voiced by Jennifer Hale) is a strong, independent lady who overtly hasn’t been oversexed, just to make a point. She’s far from a token character, too, as she plays a very prominent role in the story. She’s the “in-between” of the two factions in the game, and a lot of it is her story as she decides which way is the right way for her.

I mean, her father was a Human Rights leader who was assassinated, a lot of what drives her is to continue his work and make his killers pay. She’s pretty rad.

So, when Bulletstorm is telling a serious story, it’s also fairly intelligent.

I can understand why it’s easy to mistake for your average “dudebro” game based upon initial impressions, though, because I almost made exactly just that mistake without even realising what was going on. Saying that Bulletstorm is a “dudebro” game is kind of like saying that Borderlands 2 is. Except Borderlands 2 is more obvious about the satire. Bulletstorm is more subtle.

It’s as tongue-in-cheek as it gets. It’s not Gears of War, it’s making fun of Gears of War whilst pretending to pat it on the back bears Gears is too dense to notice. It’s just having a laugh at bad sci-fi, it’s being pulpy and over-the-top, and ridiculous. It’s saying ‘hey, these things are so completely imbecilic that if you look at it this way, it’s so bad it’s kind of funny.’

They pulled it off. At least in my opinion.

#8 6 months ago
  9. TheWulf

Did I really type bears instead of because? Wow. Brain, what are you even

Though that is the best typo ever.

Still, yeah, I honestly think to dismiss Bulletstorm as a “dudebro” game is missing the point, but I can completely understand how the mistake would be made.

#9 6 months ago
  10. TheWulf

I would also say that if the game was meant to be taken at face value. I’m actually genuinely amused that there are people out there who enjoyed Bulletstorm without realising it was satirical.

If you did that, Bulletstorm is giving you ‘friendly’ pats on the back right now and trying not to laugh too hard. Because, guy, you totally fell for it. >_>

But, yeah. Bulletstorm was more clever than it let on. Even the initials are BS, and I don’t think that’s unintentional in the least. It was a surprisingly clever little game. Satire in parts, and very human in others.

#10 6 months ago
  11. salarta

@TheWulf If that’s the case, then sorry I didn’t catch the intent of the game being satire in the time I played it. I don’t really feel like going into the game and spending more hours playing the game to check it for myself.

#11 6 months ago
  12. fihar

@salarta
    Lesson of the day.
    Try to keep your opinions to yourself if you can’t even be bothered to play the game for an extended period of time.

#12 6 months ago
  13. salarta

@fihar No.

I gave it about an hour and a half, and given that games of that type these days last around 10 hours and sometimes less, that’s plenty of time. Demos normally last for about 15-30 minutes, and those are expected to give a good idea of what to expect for the rest of the game.

#13 6 months ago
  14. fihar

@salarta
    Hey, I judge books by their covers too.
    I don’t go around claiming I know how the book actually is though.

#14 6 months ago