Witcher 3 dev says talking about resolution before a game’s finished is “pointless”

Monday, 10th March 2014 12:14 GMT By Dave Cook

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt developer Michał Krzemiński has poured cold water on the often heated debates surrounding resolution and framerates before a game is complete, calling it “pointless.”

It comes from an interview with gamesTM, in which the CD Projekt RED employee responded to a question regarding Witcher 3 resolution differences between formats.

He replied, “If you’re asking me to throw a rock in the PS4 vs. Xbox One resolution war, I won’t. The game is not finished and talking about resolutions [and framerates] is, I think, pointless.”

Resolution and frame-rate parity across formats has become a regular fixture on gaming sites lately, with a polarising effect on gamers. Some claim these figures directly impact their enjoyment of a game, while others argue its just window dressing.

On which side of the fence do you sit?

Via Kotaku.

1. KAP

I sit on the side of ‘who gives a shit’ really?
    It’s obvious PS4 is a better system in terms of specs as Xbone, but lesser to PC. Next?

I think more should be focused on the games, Plain and simple..

#1 6 months ago
  2. Michael Ireland

@KAP Focus on gameplay? Pffft!

#2 6 months ago
  3. MFBB

I always want to know which one the best version is (technical issues, resolution, framerate, tearing/stuttering etc).

Pre ordered Dark Souls 2 PS3, first reports appear online and they are mentioning the technincal issues of Xbox and PS3 version.

—>Canceled, PC version pre ordered.

If FromSoftware is as lazy as last time and dosnt patch any of the issues, at least some skilled fans offer me patches/mods to fix it (like last time).

#3 6 months ago
  4. fengato

As a console only gamer, I care. I want the best experience I can get with a natively supported controller in hand, whilst reclining on my couch. I don’t care which corporation comes up with the goods – I like to know how each piece of software (I’m interested in) performs on the competing platforms.

For those who will say that PC supports controllers and couches – I call bullshit. Multiplayer is rarely supported properly for controller – and that’s where many of us spend our time. Interestingly, I tweeted Vince Zampella about controller support and aim assist for Titanfall – he confirmed that it was in. Since that time I’ve been receiving hate mail on a daily basis.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Panthro

@KAP

I bet you own a new console though, if you only cared about ‘gameplay’ you would have a $200 PC running everything on very low settings…

I mean, that would get the job done right? who cares about graphics.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Panthro

@fengato

You call bullshit on controller support?
    The controller support is always there if I need it in my online games… If you choose the lesser option and get assraped by people using a mouse and keyboard that’s your fault.

Us PC gamers don’t want a cheating auto-aim option in our games.,. fuck us right?

#6 6 months ago
  7. Panthro

@MFBB

Yeah me too…

The problem is though that console gamers don’t have the option to fix the resolution and framerate problems so they don’t even see them as an issue… Some people have lower standards I guess, I like getting the absolute most out of my games, gameplay wise AND visually.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Michael Ireland

@fengato Surely you already know at this stage that the higher performance is 9 times out of 10 going to be on the PS4?

Unless the game is terribly optimised it’s impossible that it wouldn’t be. The hardware is simply more powerful. So the need for a comparison is almost completely pointless. You already know how the hardware stacks up.

I’m still enjoying PS2 games in 480p, so I don’t really care. Unless the game genuinely suffers in a bad way on one platform, it’s largely irrelevant. 60fps allows for noticeable gameplay improvements in some genres, but resolution is completely meaningless to me personally.

Some of you people wouldn’t have lasted a week during the C64 / Spectrum / Amstrad days without having a mental breakdown.

#8 6 months ago
  9. bobnice

I don’t give a rats ass. Whatever it is is close enough. Killzone multiplayer was way lower than 1080p and no one was the wiser. After playing the game for 3 months no one knew it was lower than single players 1080p. People had to be told. So if it’s close enough and upscale anyway I don’t think I will see a difference considering I’m sitting 10 ft away from my 46 inch tv.

#9 6 months ago
  10. OlderGamer

“The controller support is always there if I need it in my online games… If you choose the lesser option and get ass****** by people using a mouse and keyboard that’s your fault.”

Controllers are great for many games. But if your going to play competitive online, MS/KB is … well, just better. Even outside shooters, try playing a game like Civ V with a controller…would be a mess.

#10 6 months ago
  11. fearmonkey

I think CDproject red favors Xbox over PS4 in their attitude. It seems that they always take up for MS and it’s abilities versus PS4.

#11 6 months ago
  12. the Bridgeburner

@fearmonkey

Or just maybe Michal doesn’t want to get into a pointless pissing contest.

#12 6 months ago