Thief playthrough video shows the first mission of the game

Saturday, 15th February 2014 15:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Thief has a new video walkthrough available, which was posted by Eidos Montreal overnight.

thiefnewfeb15

The video shows a playthrough of the Lockdown Mission and is hosted by the firm’s marketing coordinator Jean-Philippe Chicoine.

This is the mission which takes place right after the tutorial, and offers four different ways to infiltrate the building.

Thief releases on PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One February 25 in North America and February 28 in Europe.

1. Erthazus

Great… Dumbed down “shadow” stealth mechanic: Crystal has only two options available for stealth. Dark and light.

Dumbed down AI:
    Storm, rain.
    Garret shoots water arrow to extinguish a fire.
    Guard: Surprised for no reason and said “COME ON OUT SO I CAN CRACK YOUR SKULL.” – how the fuck he knew about this while there was a Rain and storm.
    then goes the same thing with lockpicking. “COME ON OUT SO I CAN CRACK YOUR SKULL.”

and of course the most epic part in this playthrough.

Garret says in front of the window: “This is my way out. But once I drop down there is no way coming back”

sums up everything about this game. Consolized POS for children where you can’t even go back because current gen consoles are so weak that they require a separate Memory cash for additional level loading. So the game basically will be a linear Thief game… amazing.

Want some big levels with huge exploration like in previous Thief games? NO. FUCK YOU. You will get three small Call Of Duty like corridors with great details in front of you.

New Thief is just horrible. It’s not Thief, it’s Splinter Cell in First Person at best.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Erthazus

Current gen killed this game. This is a huge mistake for Eidos Montreal. They should have been developed this game for Next gen. I see current gen limitations everywhere.

Or they could make game much better with less graphics.

#2 5 months ago
  3. BrokenSpline

This looks to be a good bit of fun. I will have to play this when it comes out.

#3 5 months ago
  4. TheWulf

I really don’t like the UI. It reminds me of the awful spiritual successor to clip art that iOS now calls an interface. The thing is is that it’s possible to do futuristic interfaces without them suffering an abortion of aesthetics, as Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance proved so eloquently.

Hang on! Why are we talking about space-age technology in a game that’s mostly dealing with steampunk and magitech? Sure, it’d be pretty rad if the Thief Universe had that technology and we had floating holo-screens and whatnot, but it doesn’t. They’ve gone out of their way to stress that, even insofar as making Garrett’s eye more magical than technological.

So the UI has an aesthetic dissonance with the game. It’s an inexplicably omnipresent neural interface that has no explanation. It almost reminds me of Borderlands in that regard — but, once again, Borderlands actually had neural interfaces. So what’s it doing there?

I could site DX:HR as another example. But Human Revolution also had neural interfaces. I can’t stress how much this actually irritates me. If they wanted to use a HUD of that ilk, they should have rolled it into the story, and that would have made the story more interesting, frankly.

So, we have a more magical, less technological Thief Universe coupled with a HUD that’s right out of DX:HR. I don’t approve.

It just bugs me.

How I would have handled it.

I would have made his eye more mechanical in appearance and I would have supplied it with some sort of rough HUD, I would have used some magitech technobabble to explain that it’s actually connected to his brain and has some fairly advanced sensors coupled in.

Even then, I would have used some skeuomorphism (in a culture that wouldn’t even know what that is, yet, and thus would be using it), I would have used a more typical font (fancier, similar to a newspaper), and I’d have it rougher around the edges. I’d also use this to explain how the light gem works, by measuring the light in the area and providing Garrett with a human-readable readout of that data.

But no. We have a space age HUD with no explanation as to why it’s there. You can claim that I don’t know that they wouldn’t have thought of this, but I can tell by the HUD that they didn’t. We’ll see who’s right. I know I’m right though because it comes across as more of a simple afterthought than anything else. It doesn’t seem like they actually understood how a good HUD works, they’re just copying DX:HR.

So… we have a neural interface. In a magical world.

That’s just lazy design that sets the stage for the rest of it. Yes, I’m a creative, artistic person who cares about aesthetic cohesion — things need to make sense in the context of where they are. And even if you don’t have a neural interface, it can be explained away as a game UI if it looks the part. But this looks like Assassin’s Creed, or DX:HR, and it feels completely out of place.

That would actively detract away from the game, for me. I’d feel like I was playing some kind of VR training mission. Immersion is a tricky thing to uphold, and you have to actually help the player with their suspension of disbelief. I guess, though, that with the more imagination you have the more difficult it becomes to overlook problems that you, personally, can imagine better solutions for.

I’ll let the rest comment on other things because I couldn’t watch it for too long. That actively bugged me too much. Even the way it fades in and fades out. It’s just too artificial.

If they can’t even get the HUD right, why would I believe they can do justice to anything else?

I want to compare it to Thief: Deadly Shadows so that there’s a point of reference. Unlike some, I didn’t hate T:DS, I actually thought it was okay. And the interface is something that they got very right. The level of skeuomorphism there just works for that kind of game.

And now I’ve pointed it out, you can’t unsee it either. :I

#4 5 months ago
  5. dontbescaredhomie92

Wahhh the game is dumbed down, wahhh the AI is so dumb, wahhh, wahhh, wahhh.
    If memory serves the AI in the previous instalments was just as dumb, you really need to evaluate your life if you can get this mad over what is essentially a training mission before the story deepens, although why would you of all people care about the story?
    Typical PC elitist’s mindset, graphics over content.

#5 5 months ago
  6. TheWulf

You know, just as I was navigating away, it occurred to me that this is how Dishonored did things? I thought that Dishonored was okay. It made things too hard on those who wanted to do a non-lethal playthrough (by design), it was way too grimdark, angsty, and emo in ways that I just rolled my eyes at (in place of having character, even), and it was desaturated to the point where I actually had to check my colour settings…

But it got the UI right. It used the mask to explain certain aspects of it, and the rest looked like some kind of tribal tattoo. Like this. It was still a bit too flat for me, but it’s leagues ahead of what Thief is doing. So Thief can’t even get the aspects of the game it’s aping right.

I’m sorry, but this just looks so, so phoned in.

#6 5 months ago
  7. Erthazus

@dontbescaredhomie92 “If memory serves the AI in the previous instalments was just as dumb”
    Your memory is bad because it was not that dumb and in fact when you shot the arrow in the wall, guards would not stand in front of it and aks themselves “What was that?”

“Typical PC elitist’s mindset, graphics over content.”
    Sums up console elitist mindset, I don’t read anything and don’t know nothing so U PC COMMUNITY is stupid.

I said here in the #2 post: “Or they could make game much better with less graphics.”

#7 5 months ago
  8. FLOW0410

Deep Down Ps4 : 25 Minutes of Gameplay

#8 5 months ago
  9. Telepathic.Geometry

It’s amazing how down some of you are on this game. For me, it’s not like the industry is swamped with games where you don’t need to kill everybody (or anybody for that matter), and I love hiding and nicking shit. So even if this turns out to be a 7 or an 8 out of 10 game, I still wanna sing hallelujah.

I suppose if you loved the Thief games of old, you’re shit out of luck, but that’s hardly a shock. Welcome to the modern age. If you loved those old PC games, they still exist on Steam I’m sure. Me, I’m just happy to get a game with multiple ways to complete.

#9 5 months ago
  10. orren

@Telepathic.Geometry
    I tend to agree. People are so eager to be negative these days. You could make a game that has a whole alphabet of things done right, from A to Y. And what will you read in the comments?

“This game is crap because it got Z all wrong!!!”

Personally, i liked how the game looks but i probably won’t play it. I like games that are much more open, sandbox-y, not corridor-y. That does not make it crap, it’s just not my cup of tea. Might buy it for dad tho, he likes that style.

#10 5 months ago
  11. YoungZer0

@Telepathic.Geometry That’s the thing though, they see the gameplay footage and they fucking know this game is going to be great and since they behaved like total fucktards before, they can’t admit being wrong on it, so they continue – to a point where it gets absurd and pathetic.

#11 5 months ago
  12. Erthazus

@YoungZer0 “and they fucking know this game is going to be great”

Keep believing in this shit. I am never wrong when I see gameplay videos of the final builds and yes, it is not going to be a great Thief game. It’s going to be a Splinter Cell with three corridors in first person and not a Thief.

#12 5 months ago
  13. Erthazus

and yes. Fans of the series already laugh their ass off at the level design:

#13 5 months ago
  14. YoungZer0

@Erthazus

It’s the first level, if they restrict the player in some way to tell an interesting story (something the previous games were lacking), I’m fine with that. Isn’t the clock tower his home? You never think far enough. You never do.

And I have yet to see you be right about anything, like, at all.

#14 5 months ago
  15. YoungZer0

@TheWulf

I rather trust the judgement of someone who actually worked on videogames before, then someone who writes stuff no one cares about on tumblr.

#15 5 months ago
  16. Erthazus

@YoungZer0 “if they restrict the player in some way to tell an interesting story (something the previous games were lacking), I’m fine with that.”

So they told you an interesting story with this corridor? You must be nuts right now if you think that corridors are going to deliver a better “story”. Child of NT games, Thief is not about the story, it is about STEALTH. It is about being a THIEF and that’s where story end’s and that’s why previous games were superb at gameplay magic with atmosphere of being a a stealth class in the middle of a fantasy world full of mages and warrior’s and not some “Ninja” with blink ability. Sometimes you are dief or just blind.
    “And I have yet to see you be right about anything, like, at all.”

Yeah ok. you won’t see it because you don’t want to see and I’m actually well informed about this game and I have a good discussion over eidos forum’s and know what is cooking up in the game compared to someone that says that it will be a great game for no reason at all.

#16 5 months ago
  17. Kieran

Cant understand all the hate its the first mission it might not be what use are expecting when it comes to level design but yeah the a.i needs to change next gen now like

#17 5 months ago
  18. YoungZer0

@Erthazus

Unlike you, I don’t think the game should be one thing or the other. It can be a great stealth game with a story.

All I saw was stealthy gameplay, very restricted of course, as it seems they want to tell you a little bit about the world, before they throw you into it.

You probably don’t realize that, but listen to the guards, the things they say and do tell you a lot of the situation the people of this city are in. It’s smart way of telling a story without taking away the controls, but you don’t seem to be a fan of that.

„I’m actually well informed about this game“

Lawl. Best joke ever.

„I have a good discussion over eidos forum’s“

Yep, that’s what you’re known for, good discussions. Very entertaining, keep going.

#18 5 months ago