Tales from the Borderlands announced by Telltale and Gearbox

Saturday, 7th December 2013 23:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Tales from the Borderlands has been announced for 2014 from Telltale Games and Gearbox Software. It’s an episodic adventure series being developed in collaboration.

It’s being solely developed by Telltale using assets from Gearbox, Randy Pitchford said. New characters, some familiar ones, some”wanna-be Vault Hunters” and the various locations from the Borderlands series will be included.

Tales from the Borderlands is “very much in the Borderlands world” but it will “play like a Telltale game,” only in the Borderlands world, said telltale’s Kevin Bruner.

The reveal video is below alongside the VGX interview with Pitchford and Bruner.

1. Erthazus

*facepalm* The biggest facepalm ever.

#1 8 months ago
  2. pukem0n

the first 5 seconds of the trailer i thought they were going to make a Firefly game, then i realised its just borderlands and cried

#2 8 months ago
  3. Dark

O_O

#3 8 months ago
  4. POOhead

i agree with 1, this is gunna suck

#4 8 months ago
  5. KAP

Definition of “Gamers”. Never fuckin’ happy.
    I remember when Walking Dead was announced and this site covered it, everyone said it looked like it sucked. 12 months later… Game Of The Year.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Erthazus

^ It is game of the year for people who never played Adventure games.

It is not a bad game at all but GOTY is a bit off. Wolf Among Us on the other hand was much better in writing, storytelling but again, hard from the “Masterpiece”.

#6 8 months ago
  7. KAP

*facepalm* The biggest facepalm ever.

#7 8 months ago
  8. POOhead

@5 i was the rare ones that said it wouldnt, also said the 2ds wouldnt fail, i personnally just hate gearbox and dickhead randy

#8 8 months ago
  9. Hcw87

Borderlands and Walking Dead is among the best games of this generation, so this can’t be bad.

In fact, it’ll be great.

#9 8 months ago
  10. xFidelCashflow

woah. i want to be excited, being a huge fan of both Telltale & Borderlands, but everything about this just screams wtf. the ‘wtf is this shit’ type wtf.

i hope it turns out good…fingers crossed?

#10 8 months ago
  11. Erthazus

@KAP, you are the biggest facepalm here. If it was your first adventure game congratulations.

#11 8 months ago
  12. absolutezero

What was the story in Borderlands again?

It feels like they just saw that the art-styles matched up and decided to make a quick buck.

No one cares about the Borderlands stories it was about the characters and even then most of them were terrible.

#12 8 months ago
  13. KAP

You create a game, which then becomes Game Of The Year and you can moan as much as you damn well please lol

But until that day comes, use this platform to complain to no body who give a shit what you think. lol

#13 8 months ago
  14. Erthazus

@KAP, I don’t care about GOTY nominations from stupid shows like VGA that has no substance or quality.
    If you liked and enjoyed the game then it is good for you. I played Adventure games like this before. Nothing spectacular and nothing bad about it. Deal with it.

#14 8 months ago
  15. DSB

I quite liked the Borderlands characters. It was an 80′s action movie, but unlike most videogames out there today it was actually intentional.

That being said, the story was only there to provide you with the slimmest possible reason to blow shit up, so I’m pretty skeptical about this too.

It would be interesting to know whether Mikey Neumann or Anthony Burch have anything to do with it.

#15 8 months ago
  16. Obernox

Mister Torgue or no buy.

#16 8 months ago
  17. Ireland Michael

People are complaining about this?

This is like the best fucking news ever.

#17 8 months ago
  18. absolutezero

I’m sure the game is great I trust TT more than enough to get that part done.

I just hated most if not all of Borderlands 2. I would rather have seen a TT take on the Rage universe.

Fucking Handsome Jack. urgh.

#18 8 months ago
  19. Dark

@17 yeah i’m actually excited about this.

#19 8 months ago
  20. fearmonkey

@1 – Im excited about it, so not everyone shares your opinion.
    hardly the biggest faceplam, that’s the urban music concert and the video of the guys leading up to it.

#20 8 months ago
  21. NeverNude

Not something I really wanted, but I’ll definitely check it out

#21 8 months ago
  22. ddtd

Should be good. Borderlands 2 had some great characters, regardless of the quality of the actual plot. It’ll be cool to see TellTale give them a good story to be in.

#22 8 months ago
  23. TheWulf

This might actually be pretty okay.

I’ve expressed my wish before to see Gearbox making cartoons instead of games, because they’re better at it. In my opinion, the Borderlands games, as games, are pretty terrible. However, the lore, world, aesthetics, and everything else is pretty interesting.

Telltale are the perfect people to handle this IP, and with their truly exceptional writing? Well, we may be in for something a bit special. The Borderlands setting deserves better than a tepid co-op shooter, and TTG might deliver. I hope they do.

#23 8 months ago
  24. Cobra951

@1: OMG . . . I agree with you. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

@5: You never heard that The Walking Dead is GotY material from me. And you never will. Point-and-click fest. Even getting E1 free couldn’t get me into it. I’m still waiting for the fully passive video version (doesn’t take much) so I can watch it with some popcorn in hand instead of a controller. This Borderlands cross-many-platforms, no-tech cash-in “game” will get the same treatment.

@23: You are so clueless about the greatness of the BL games that I have to wonder how that could have happened. They are the pinnacle of their genre. No first-person shooter feels better, deeper or more satisfying. Is it the genre itself you dislike?

#24 8 months ago