Battlefield 4: pre-match squad creation will not be implemented, DICE confirms

Monday, 25th November 2013 09:40 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 4 lacks the option to squad up with your mates in the lobby before diving into online play. The feature was last seen in Battlefield 3, but won’t be making a return any time soon, according to developer DICE.

It follows the leaking of Battlefield 4: Second Assault’s Xbox One achievements.

MP1st spotted a statement from DICE over on the Battlefield 4 Facebook hub.

Replying to a fan query, the studio wrote, “We have a new feature in Battlefield where a new squad is created when a friend joins your game. You can toggle this option on or off by going into the options menu. We’re not offering the old squad join feature because we didn’t feel that the feature in Battlefield 3 was on par with the quality that we wanted to offer our players. We have no plans to add it in the future.”

It basically means you can’t make a private lobby, invite your mates into the squad and then search for a game. The Facebook post is followed by fans saying that the new method doesn’t work. What’s your experience of it so far?

Do you feel this system should return? Let us know what you think below.

1. Llewelyn_MT

There was a private lobby option in Battlefield 3? I never noticed in my 350 hours of multiplayer.

#1 1 year ago
  2. A2ra3l

Works fine on the PC version at least. As long as there is room in the team ie having your friends join your squad won’t unbalance the teams then it either adds them to your squad or if your squad is full and there is a squad letter available it creates a new one. I have even had it happen mid round when I have been autobalanced and it puts me straight into my friends squad.

It is one of the best features of BF4 imo. If they can eliminate the crashes and bugs then they will have a great game on their hands. It is fun, fast and pretty, exactly how it should be

#2 1 year ago
  3. LordCancer

@1 yes, i am certain there is likely quite a bit about battlefield you still don’t realize…

this auto squad feature worked in the beta it is unclear if it works on the ps4 version since it is impossible to get in a match with your friends. joining on friends often puts you in another server, sometimes a completely empty server or you get a message telling you the room is full. i spent 25 minutes clicking join server only to be finally let in and the server is completely empty.

how you will ever get 2 people in a squad let alone 5 with there current system is beyond me. they have turned 64 player multiplayer into a no-mic, solo, friendless affair and without friends and mics teamwork doesn’t exist.

#3 1 year ago
  4. FuntimeBen

It is definitely a step back. I play BF4 primarily with a squad and we now have to each join a game separately. Dice also got rid of the queue, so you now have to spam the join and cancel button for 5 minutes (not an exaggeration) to get into a game. Once you are in a game, you then have to try and find your teammates, most of which are either in maxed out squads or on the other team.

It staggers me that dice would remove a game feature from BF3 and not offer an alternative? This is truly a badly thought out user interface, which lacks the finesse of even the clumsiest Call of Duty game. Unfortunately all BF4 has proven to me is DICE is not ready/capable of creating a polished FPS experience that will ever compete with COD, which is unfortunate because I put in just under 1,000 hours in BF3 and am wondering if BF4 will ever be as stable.

#4 1 year ago
  5. manamana

BF4 continous to be look more and more uniteresting to me. Why oh why, DICE?
    @1 yes, in the main menu. Although it happened that mates where on the opposite team when the servers were full. I had high hopes that DICE would make it easier to team up with a squad, but hey!

#5 1 year ago
  6. Djoenz

If you cant make parties and its not easy to play with your buddies then wtf is the point of a MP? Sigh what a shame its a good game. Way better than COD. To think this game emphasizes on teamplay modes.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ddtd

Huge step back. On top of that, you can’t set up your soldier in the menus. You have to be in a match to do it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Os Money

the whole not being able to customize your soliders from the main menu (can in game or on battlelog) is a big F U to all players. I dont want to use your crappy battlelog on the pc when im playing xbox… you continue to force feed me this garbage and I’ll be looking for alternatives.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Laz

I actually believed EA was going to work with DICE to release something that was worth anyone’s time, but they didn’t. People who are actually playing this game understand that this product is the definition of crap. No squad features, Conquest mode falls apart every time, story mode crashes the system, and all game data gets lost from time to time. I stayed with them fighting the good fight and supporting Battlefield but enough is enough. I’m returning my copy right now. This article only confirms that the issues we are dealing with now are never going to be fixed. These guys aren’t about customer service. They got away with selling everyone something that doesn’t work the way it is meant to work and now they are all sitting around smiling saying, “Damn the public is so ignorant, we made lots of money off those suckers and we will do it again next year.” To EA and DICE, I have never returned a game, until now. I want my money back.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DoucheVader

There is a petition about this!

Sign it!!!

#10 1 year ago
  11. exBFgamer

My experience, no pregame squad and no dogfighting? How the fuck is this better than BF3? Fuck EA/DICE. I’ll go back to fucking COD before playing this bull shit.

#11 1 year ago
  12. sebastien rivas

EA/Dice reasoning does NOT make sense at all for BF4 considering the fact that BF4 is supposedly the sequel to BF2 with commender jobs and more squaddy oriented than rambo like with BF3.

There should be a lobby, a general lobby where people can try various type of squads if desires are.
    By this I mean as a BF3 and BF4 experiencer, I can tell you that the squad you evolve in and with is crucial and goes from perfection whereas about everyone have same mind set and play style down to hell where no one does anything comparable and move in the 4 corners of the map like Rambo wannabe or pure camper “I got my Sniping rifle hehehehe”.
    Making private lobby just so friends can befriend each other is cool but just help those 3 or 4 guys.
    I already have a short list of players to avoid because I don;t have the same mind set at all but I would gladly be testing out with more players desiring to squad up and test!.
    After all testing each other game implications, gaming methods and etc IS THE CRUCIAL factor of a lobby’s purpose.

What is it? EA/DICE do not want to open a server for each platform so people can type a 3 lines sentence and no more than twice a minute?
    Or haaaaa ok I get it. They will not do it until BF5?
    Dice told us 2 things a while ago.
    1) BF was going to be more entertainment oriented much like COD, ghost recon etc.
    2) BF was going to be more yearly development oriented.

This lobby purpose would fit so well in this system that it cannot be used now as it would be an unavoidable success in next sequel(s).

A load of crap if you ask me….

#12 1 year ago