Alien: Isolation trademark filed by Twentieth Century Fox

Monday, 21st October 2013 11:00 GMT By Dave Owen

The Aliens game franchise hasn’t done terribly well of late, following the shambles that was Aliens: Colonial Marines. Yet it’s too lucrative a license to be abandoned, and now a trademark filed by Twentieth Century Fox suggests that we’ll be returning to the Alien universe at some point in the near-future. Is Alien: Isolation the long-awaited Creative Assembly project?

We’ve known that Creative Assembly has been working on an Alien game for a little while now. Back in March they teased us with a couple of images. Since then it’s been radio silence.

The trademark for Alien: Isolation is for use with computer game and video game software, downloadable mobile software, and, um, decorative magnets. So it could be a mobile game or, worse, just a new line of fridge magnets.

Ever since Colonial Marines, Aliens fans have been holding the Creative Assembly project up as the last great hope for the franchise. If this turns out to be one and the same, we can only hope to find out more about it soon, and that it won’t just be decorating our fridges.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. TheBlackHole

Arbitrary subtitles are the death nail in any videogame’s coffin.

Ridge Racer: Unbounded.

Seriously, “Unbounded”. It doesn’t even sound like it makes sense (especially when unbound means the exact same fucking thing).

Seriously though, any subtitled game sounds like cheap a spin off, rather than canon. Which I appreciate a lot of them are. I suppose I should be pleased that at least the publishers make it obvious which games to avoid.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Dave Owen

I think there’s been so many Aliens games now that they have to have a subtitle.

Unbounded was bloody terrible though.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Edo

@1 What exactly is it suppose be called,Alien V,Alien 5 or simply Alien,please do tell…

#3 12 months ago
  4. Panthro

Yep, games should ditch subtitles, since they completely ruin games…

Looks like your having a bad day Mr Black Hole…

Every thread I’ve been on you’ve just been complaining.

#4 12 months ago
  5. TheBlackHole

@2&3

This may sound weird, but I think the issue is the colon.

When you have a title that is bound to the brand name like that it can come across sounding and looking cheap. IF however, the game is from the alien franchise (so has a logo on the box representing that) but the game is essentially just called ISOLATION, then that’s awesome, and works much better. I think Star Wars do something very similar. think ‘Knights of the Old Republic. The brand name is still attached, but not linked to the title. People don’t refernce it as SWKOTOR, it’s always KOTOR. Isolation is a great title for a game. Alien: Isolation… not so much.

IN MY OPINION!

@4 and you appear to be following me around comment sections, which is slightly disconcerting.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Panthro

@5 not following, Its just your insistence to cry over incredibly futile things is quite annoying.

#6 12 months ago
  7. TheBlackHole

@6 If it bothers you so much, perpetuating it by continuing the conversations seems pretty stupid.

Also, aside from half-baked sarcasm and over generalisations I’ve yet to see you offer something worthwhile to the discussions. It’s not like I’m not trying to justify the opinions you take such an issue with.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Panthro

Just like generalizing every game which has a subtitle as a bad game?

Fallout: New vegas
    Almost every Legend of Zelda game
    Prince of Persia: the sands of time
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Xcom: Enemy Uknown
    Half life 2: Episodes
    Counter strike: Source
    MGS: Peace Walker
    Batman: Arkham asylum/ Arkham City
    Portal: Still alive (360 port)

See what I did their?

#8 12 months ago
  9. TheBlackHole

Yes, you missed the point completely.

I didn’t say having a bad title made them bad games, did I.

Also, *there.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Panthro

‘Seriously though, ANY subtitled game sounds like cheap a spin off’

‘Arbitrary subtitles are the death nail in any videogame’s coffin.’

‘I suppose I should be pleased that at least the publishers make it obvious which games to avoid.’

Yeah…

Oh, and thanks for correcting my grammar… one of the obvious signs of a massive douche bag ;)

#10 12 months ago