BioShock 2 gets Steam update as Games For Windows closes, adds achievements & more

Friday, 4th October 2013 08:51 GMT By Dave Cook

BioShock 2 has been updated for Steam after moving away from the now-closed Games For Windows Live service. The shooter has been bolstered with Steam Achievements, new gamepad support and more.

Eurogamer reports that following the update – which was developed by Warframe studio Digital Extremes – BioShock 2 now supports Big Picture mode, Steam achievements, controller support and enhanced multiplayer stability, as well as smoother PvP levelling.

The site adds that if you bought the game on Games For Windows Live you can use the same product key to activate it on Steam, which also applies to any DLC you may have bought along the way. Players can also quick-search for a multiplayer match in any game mode, rather than having to select a specific match-type first.

What do you make of the above? Are you still playing BioShock 2? Let us know below.

1. deadstoned

I’m just glad GFWL is being closed, removed from some older games and isn’t being implemented in new ones. That service hasn’t had a significant update since 2008. Its had this death a long time coming and it’ll be longer still before I trust a Microsoft gaming service on the PC again. Just port some older 360 games Microsoft and the money + goodwill will come back. Eventually…

At last Old Yeller being taken out back and dealt with. Had to be done.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Llewelyn_MT

What about GTA4?

#2 10 months ago
  3. Judicas

Recently-closed ? Are you posting from June/July 2014 ? :P Almost gave me a heart attack since I still have 2 games almost completed with gfwl achievements.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 Shit, you’re right. I should know this as I play Super SF 4 on Steam :P

#4 10 months ago
  5. Judicas

Yeah I loaded up dawn do war 2 and it connected so breathed a sigh of relief, also need to get stuck into age df empires online again

#5 10 months ago
  6. rbevanx

“now-closed Games For Windows Live service”

It hasn’t closed only the marketplace for buying games from what I can see on MS’s site.

“You can continue to enjoy previously purchased games and downloadable content in your catalog by downloading it through the Games for Windows Live client. Although the purchase functionality will be discontinued, the Games for Windows Live service will continue to operate as usual.”

#6 10 months ago
  7. Pitts

Didn’t know GFWL was closing anything down. Not too broke up about it though.

Never was a huge fan of using services outside of Steam.

#7 10 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

I am so happy that the game now has controller support. When I bought it on Steam awhile back I was disjointed it didn’t have it like the first title.

#8 10 months ago
  9. NeoSquall

Meanwhile I’m locked out of Dawn of War 2, Fable 3 and GTA IV.

Anyone knows the reason for error 80048821?

Scratch that, I just discovered that the retarded GfWL protocol goes bonkers when you activate two-steps authentication on your Hotmail account and you need to use a rather lengthy, secondary, “app password” to access these services.

My gosh Microsoft.

#9 10 months ago
  10. DSB

If anyone was ever in doubt as to how incredibly shit GFWL truly was, I think this really settles it.

Now people can finally play a game that’s been broken for ages. Beautiful.

#10 10 months ago