Beyond is about opening doors & showing people games aren’t just about shooting, says Cage

Monday, 30th September 2013 12:10 GMT By Dave Cook

Beyond: Two Souls director and writer David Cage has explained his aspirations for the PS3 title, and hopes that it will encourage people to see the medium a little bit differently.

Speaking with me at Eurogamer Expo last week – in an interview you can read here in full tomorrow – I asked Cage for his thoughts on appealing to a wide range of players through diverse writing. He replied, “It’s a very interesting situation right now. I think with the games we make, we’re in a more interesting position. We get these preconceptions certainly from hardcore gamers who say, ‘Oh it’s not a videogame. It’s interactive cinema and we’re not interested in games where you don’t shoot.’ So they’re not interested in our games.

“But at the other end of the spectrum we see people who are like, ‘We see what you’re doing, delivering emotion, but videogames are still all about violence and shooting.’ So what I think we’re doing is trying to say to both ends, ‘Wait a second. Look at what we’re doing and then make your judgement.’ But we like to say to hardcore gamers, ‘Yes there are some great games out there whether it’s GTA, Call of Duty and all of those things, but look, this is something a little bit different.’ It’s not about shooting. It’s different but give it a try. For the sake of society have a look, because all games are not about violence. They are about very different things.

“There are very interesting indie games right now exploring very different reactions that are clearly not about violence, that are trying to make this medium really strong. There is definitely something happening in the industry just now and we should look at this. It’s interesting because with the presence of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe in the game, we managed to open some of these doors, where people who would never talk about video games before are now getting interested. With Beyond it’s about opening that door and to show people that all games are not the same, they are not all about shooting.”

Beyond: Two Souls hits PS3 on October 8.

1. gomersoul

Has anyone else completely lost interest in this game?

#1 9 months ago
  2. SpoiledWar

@1 Nope.

#2 9 months ago
  3. VibraniumSpork

@1 Yep. I have respect for Cage’s vision and opinions but some of his quotes…yeesh. I somehow feel like he – and, by extension his video game – are being kinda condescending.

I know that not all games need to be violent ya knucklehead. Non-violent games do -and have done – just fine with or without you; see Tetris, Candy Crush and most Nintendo games for clarification. You can even make it through certain ‘violent’ videogames without killing a soul.

Oh, and if the entirety of Beyond plays out without one person being punched, shot, killed or maimed, I will personally buy a hat, eat it, and send Cage the video evidence.

#3 9 months ago
  4. yeoung

Reductio ad absurdum and a strawman argument, that’s going to be one compelling interview I’m betting.

I feel pigeonholed. He’s coming off as a mom telling me to put down the G.I Joe and play with the rubixcube, except I’ve been playing with Lego’s all this time and I don’t even like G.I Joe.

(more partial to Dinoriders)

#4 9 months ago
  5. zoopdeloop

He’s got it all wrong.It’s not about shooting,it’s about an engaging gameplay that’s what the hardcore are crying on about.His games lack that,they’re heavily scripted and the gameplay revolves around moving the character and at many parts do mundane things…on the other hand many point and click adventure games were /are like that but still most of them had more interesting gameplay.
    Broken Sword,Last Journey etc.

#5 9 months ago
  6. absolutezero

”According to our information, in the European version of Beyond: Two Souls two scenes will be slightly cut. This affects all European versions (UK, AT and so on), as always with Sony. Reportedly, the US version will be slightly cut in erotic scenes. This means, according to Sony, that there won’t be a real uncut version at all.”

Its about being a windbag.

#6 9 months ago
  7. 2-D

This game has lost so much hype over time.

#7 9 months ago
  8. _LarZen_

I remember when the first Playstation was out, there was a more broad selection of games for consoles back then. One genera that was popular then was the adventure games. Typhical point&click games that there was a wast selection on PC back then…and even more today.

Back then that was games people loved. The FPS genera was not overpopulating the gaming space as today.

So I am glad there are coming games like Beyond: Two Souls for a console. It’s something different and a genera that should get much more games for consoles.

It’s not for everyone, just as FPS games are not for everyone.

My hope with the PS4 is that the Indie Scene is coming in a big way with it’s adventure games. Some are more old school point & click and some more like Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls.

There are millions of gamer’s out there. There should be more then enough room for more then just generic FPS games.

That said I have played parts of the demo (did not want to spoil to much) and I fell in love after minutes. I am super excited about this game and I cant wait to take the journey with Aiden.

#8 9 months ago
  9. DuckOfDestiny

Pity his games are a failure of the game designer.

#9 9 months ago