New Wildstar DevSpeak video looks at Ability Mechanics

Friday, 27th September 2013 15:05 GMT By Dave Owen

It’s time for another edition of Wildstar DevSpeak, where developer Carbine Studios tells you stuff about the upcoming MMO. This time out it’s all about Ability Mechanics, which is how you control what your character can do.

Ability Mechanics is how you interact with the game in order to use your character’s abilities. Wildstar takes the typical MMO abilities of Instant, Cast time, and Channel abilities. Wildstar makes Cast time and Channel abilities mobile, so that you can use them on the go. The video also shows charging abilities and the different strategies you can employ against different enemies.

The idea is to take a combat system based on movement and aiming and add mobile casting and variety.

Wildstar is planned for release in 2014.

1. TheWulf

I continue to have a very mild interest in this, which will still be struck down by a subscription if they choose to have one. (Which is a really stupid decision from a business perspective when you could go buy to play and bring in so many more people.) I’m also leery of the levels and vertical progression though, and that this could be WoW 2.0, but well disguised. So I’m giving it the wary Philip Fry eye.

It’s a shame that I have to feel that way, really, because I like what I’ve heard in some of these DevSpeak videos and the aesthetic is nice. I just don’t want WoW 2.0 in my life after having lost people to it. (And that those people are now as good as dead to the world doesn’t help.)

So Everquest Next stays at the top of my list for being new, clever, and free to play in the same sort of way that PlanetSide 2 is. I doubt that’s going to change any time soon.

Still, due to my liking of the aesthetic, I find it hard to hate WildStar. Only hearing that it’s as bad as WoW with nasty operant conditioning trickery would make me do that. I’m really not fond of games which do that because humans can be easily conditioned creatures with all the constitution of will of papier mâché.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Hcw87

It’ll have a subscription unfortunately.

And it’ll have 40 man raids for example, it’s from the same people who made the original WoW after all.

Also, it has levels (level 60 is max).

I’m just hoping it will have stuff to do in it’s ”end-game”, the player housing (and decorating your house with trophies of fallen bosses) will be nice for sure. Also being in a guild, building a huge area and then trapping a boss inside it, only for other guilds to try and break in and kill it.

So far i’m optimistic about it.

#2 12 months ago
  3. DSB

It’s gonna be interesting to see how that will affect the raids. You always had problems with people buttonmashing and wanting to get the last few hits in when they should be protecting themselves instead.

@2 I’m quite happy about all of those things. I won’t have to use a VISA card to extend my bank space.

#3 12 months ago
  4. GrimRita

Graphics have put me off. I don’t want to play in a cartoon WOW. Apart from Player Housing and other Star Wars Galaxies features, I was hoping for more info on pvp but it’s clear it will have the same old boring Battlegrounds, warzones etc as every other MMO. yawn

#4 12 months ago
  5. GwynbleiddiuM

The 40 man raid is a bummer for me since internet in my country is shitty and I’d sure DC a lot and eventually left out of raids because of it. If I get to WildStar I wont rush to end-game though. It looks as if you have lots to do before you get to end-game which is great. In WoW you didn’t have anything but dungeons, pvp and quests. They changed it a bit with MoP but still your mind is trained for the end game, you have a rush to max out or you’ll lose something, at least it feels like that. I want to have fun while leveling for a change.

#5 12 months ago