Beyond: Two Souls can be played using only a smartphone or tablet

Friday, 27th September 2013 15:27 GMT By Dave Owen

David Cage has revealed that it’ll be possible to play through all of the upcoming Beyond: Two Souls using nothing but an iPhone. “Not everybody was born with a DualShock controller in their hands,” he said today at Eurogamer Expo 2013.

So Quantic Dream decided to develop a second-screen app for Android and iOS devices that greatly simplifies interaction with the game. The decision came from player feedback to the developer’s previous release Heavy Rain. Many people played it with someone beside them, often someone not generally interested in games, who was telling the player what to do.

“Sometimes it was the girlfriend or the wife,” Cage said, “sometimes it was the friend who was not a gamer. Sometimes it was the parents or even the grandparents; there was a guy who told me he played the entire game with his grandmother.”

We already knew about the companion app, but it had previously been touted as way to get a second player involved using very simple cooperative ideas. One player would control main character Jodie Holmes while another used the app to control the ghostly being linked to her. Now we know that the app can be used to complete the single player game.

“It connects to the console via Wi-Fi, and from this point you can play the entire game, in single-player if you want, just using your iPhone … just with one finger. It’s a very simplified interface [and] makes the game very passive and simple.”

Cage said that this was “a key feature in the game,” and another step on the road to expanding the audience for video games.

Beyond: Two Souls is a PlayStation 3 exclusive and is due out on October 11. A demo will be available next week.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. traumadisaster

If i could get my wife to join me through this I would be grateful.

#1 1 year ago
  2. darthroseman

I’ll have to wait and see, but this just screams, “Even more QTEs than Heavy Rain,” to me. Questioning exchanging my preorder…

#2 1 year ago
  3. VibraniumSpork

@2 I agree so, so much. How much precision and purpose can really be factored into the controls if it can be played through an iPhone? Either they’ve created the best ever videogame touch controls in existence or you’re basically selecting options in a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book.

This game – in terms of its development and its studio – raises some brilliant, interesting questions, but none of them make me want to buy it. I’ve pre-ordered too but might just wait til it hits the bargain price of £15-20.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Owen

Wait for the demo next week before cancelling pre-orders. Rather than going too-heavy on QTEs, I imagine the app just removes a lot of the more complex stuff.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

I had played the demo and the game is still a QTE fest but now you just match the right analog movement with the line of action of Jodie and I imagine its the same thing for this smart phone where you swipe in the movement that Jodie is going. The game is nothing ground breaking as far as gameplay goes. I would also say if you didn’t like Heavy Rain because of its lack of actual gameplay don’t bother buying this game. Its still an interactive movie no matter how much David Cage says otherwise.

#5 1 year ago
  6. MrWaffles

Next Quantic Dream “innovation to hit the news:
    “We know provide an auto-play functionality for those people who don’t like playing games at all!”
    -Quantic Dream CEO

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkees19

This just sounds stupid. My iphone is a phone for a reason. It’s not a gaming device. Leave the games to the professionals of consoles and PCs.

#7 1 year ago
  8. zoopdeloop

Game or interactive movie doesn’t matter.It seems like a unique experience amongst others and there are people who enjoy these.These experiences aren’t for everyone,not for the mainstream sheep anyway

#8 1 year ago
  9. Rosseu

I played the demo, and it really is a QTE fest. But it’s more straightforward and easier than Heavy Rain’s. (Because most of the time the only buttons you will be using are L1 and the analog sticks). This would piss people off but I did enjoy Heavy Rain and would buy this game too.

@7 No one’s forcing you to use it as a controller