Pokemon X and Y each get their own Mewtwo Mega-Evolution

Friday, 13th September 2013 07:22 GMT By Ewan Miller

In Game Freak’s continuing quest to update my childhood in the hope of recapturing the magic of being five, Pokemon X and Y are set to each feature their own evolution of Mewtwo, both of which seem to be confusingly but directly named Mega Mewtwo. Thank god for the nickname fuction. Figure out which one you fancy below the cut.

Assuming this post formats properly, the one on the left should be the Mega Mewtwo from Pokemon X, with the upturned tail. He’s a Fighting/Psychic type, which pretty much invalidates the most common way of countering a psychic pokemon: using a normal type. No-one seems to know what’s up with the Y Mewtwo, who ditches the tail in return for Jesse-esque hair.

Look forward to hassling someone into trading you whichever one you don’t get on October 12.

Thanks to Siliconera, and thanks to all of you who’ve put up with my writing and typos this week. Your regularly scheduled Brenna Hillier returns next week.

1. MarcoosVGC

Actually, the Psychic/Fighting Mega Mewtwo is called “Mega Mewtwo X”, where as the pure Psychic one is called “Mega Mewtwo Y”.

Also, i don’t think you grasped what Mega Evolution is.. The Pokémon that mega evolves has to be holding a “Mega Stone”, in this case, Mewtwonite X or Mewtwonite Y, respectively. To perform Mega Evolution, in battle, you must select the “Mega Evolution” button on the “Fight” screen, where you choose your move.

So, basically, it would just be a case of trading the Item “Mewtwonite X/Y” across to the opposite game.

#1 7 months ago
  2. vitorsoarest

Just for the record: the Normal-type isn’t a good strategy against psychic Pokémon. I think you are mistaking with Ghost-type, as Ghost moves are ineffective against Normal-type (and vice versa).

Mewtwo being a fighting type makes it lose its non-effectivity against other psychic, as Fighting-type is weak against Psychich, and makes it more usable against Dark-type, as Fighting receives 1/2 of dark moves and Psychic receives 2x, making it even.

But thanks for the article, anyway (:

#2 7 months ago
  3. MarcoosVGC

@2 You hit the nail here, i missed that part. It seems like the only game our good man Ewan has played is possibly Red/Blue/Yellow, as dark was only introduced then. If we go by weaknesses of Gallade, who is also Fighting/Psychic, the only weaknesses it will have are Flying and Ghost.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Ireland Michael

It amazes me how utterly pedantic Pokemon fans can be.

Great job this week, Evan. Good work!

#4 7 months ago
  5. Francis O

- Dude, all you got to do is play COD online if you want to be five again.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

Good work Ewan, actually enjoyed reading your articles throughout the week.

@Francis
    Hit a nerve there did he? Wonderful generalization right there. I don’t think children played COD at the age of five so recapturing the magic isn’t valid.

#6 7 months ago
  7. Francis O

@Legendaryasshole

- No nerve was hit. All I said is he can play COD and be 5 again if he wants. You got to admit, the maturity level of COD players can “SEEM” like you’re playing with 5 year olds

Now be a good boy and STFU

#7 7 months ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    You would know :) Amazing I still can’t find someone who gives a damn about your cheap personal attacks.

#8 7 months ago
  9. Francis O

@Legendarydumbass

- Nice side step of my rebuttal by the way. :)

It’s obvious you do, all you do is stock me. So it seems like you care for what I got to say, otherwise you would ignore me

You’re a insignificant loser that has nothing better to do than stock me on this site.

#9 7 months ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

And nice side step of me saying Game Freak isn’t owned by Nintendo/and asking for proof.

No i don’t care as for the rest read from “Amazing”…

#10 7 months ago
  11. Francis O

Focus jackass

You sidestepped me in THIS thread. Stop stocking me loser. Its funny how insignificant you are yet you speak on here like your opinion means something. LOL. freaking loser.

#11 7 months ago
  12. viralshag

He stocks you?

Unless LB owns a store that sells Francis O merchandise I don’t understand how that works…

#12 7 months ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    And you side step too in general: All in your head for the rest. But if you care to prove what your saying which you won’t rhen i file this under “off your high Nintendo horse”.

@Viral
    Francis has his own definition of words.

#13 7 months ago
  14. CyberMarco

@Francis Hey genius, by saying “In Game Freak’s continuing quest to update my childhood in the hope of recapturing the magic of being five” he meant that he wants to experience again the same feeling from when he was 5 and was playing Pokemon. geez!

On topic: http://cheezburger.com/6964737280 :P

#14 7 months ago
  15. 3a75

I`m getting Pokémon X. And this Pokémon (MegaMewtwo X) influences that choice even further.

#15 7 months ago