Herein lies 12 minutes of Dying Light gameplay footage

Friday, 16th August 2013 00:18 GMT By Phil Owen

Yep, Techland is making another zombie game, but this one is more Dead Rising than Dead Island in terms of how it plays. See for yourself below, and enjoy listening to a guy tell you how you play it.

Dying Light hits in 2014.

Thanks, Edo

1. macronia

saw it early , looks very good and solid , just hoping it will be more interesting and not boring like dead island , loved the night part will keep u at edge :)

#1 12 months ago
  2. Tyrantsoul

Pause at 04:19.See that screen glare,that’s why I won’t be getting this.I will never understand why devs build these amazing worlds then ruin it with stupid screen effects.

#2 12 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

The area the game takes place in looks authentic. Clearly the layout was designed to serve the gameplay, but I was left with the impression that it could be a real place. It looks like it should be interesting to explore and travel around. Really nice details, and I like the lighting tones used as well.

The effect that allows the player to see the afflicted is very clever! It reflects a pulsing unease, and it’s interesting in the way that you’re left aware of the enemy’s presence, but for the most part, it looks as if you’ll still need to rely on prevailing light to plan and carry out your movements. It’s clear that while you’re left informed, you’re not exempt from being caught unawares!

Super video. A promising start.

#3 12 months ago
  4. marijnlems

@2 You’re… not going to buy a game because it employs screen glare? You… don’t buy a lot of games then, do you?

#4 12 months ago
  5. marijnlems

This was fantastic. Looks like the first Techland game that would actually be worth buying!

#5 12 months ago
  6. Tyrantsoul

@4 Actually yes I do buy alot of games.Techland screen glare however has always been a joke.Just look at dead island as an example,even facing away from the sun the screen has glare on it.This game seems like you have a Battlefield 3 torch pointing at you the whole time(exaggeration a tad)

Screen glare can be fine in moderation(I.e not Dying Light). The worst offenders to me are 3rd person when you are not actually seeing through the eyes of the character.It’s an effect I have always hated,and if you look back a few years not many liked it either.Just because its commonplace does not make it ok.Seriously imagine this same vid without it,it would be brilliant and vibrant without the glare.Hell even Two World 2 had Command prompts to disable it so they are obviously aware of it.

I do hope you enjoy the game though.I’m not one of these”OMG Change or else players”, if I see something I don’t like in a game I simply don’t buy it.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Edo

Apart from some killing animations and weapons that are obviously straight from Dead Island,everything else looks genuinely exciting.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Froseidon

@6 – Do you go outside? The sun is quite bright there too.

#8 12 months ago
  9. manamana

Looks great. Mirrors Edge in Zombieland with great pacing. I hope the transition between day/night will be smoother.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Froseidon

This game looks really bloody good.

#10 12 months ago
  11. marijnlems

@6 Ah. I wasn’t aware that the problem was worse with Techland games than with other developers’. Thanks for clarifying!

Personally, I don’t mind screen glare – it’s an artificial but effective way of simulating how a character’s eyes react to bright light (but of course you’re right that it shouldn’t happen if the character’s facing away from the sun). I’m open to better solutions, but it helps immersion for me.

#11 12 months ago
  12. bradk825

This looks really fun. I don’t want to be out after dark though.

#12 12 months ago