Resident Evil 6: Capcom says next game will return to series roots

Thursday, 15th August 2013 13:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Resident Evil 6 developer Capcom has recognised that the action-horror title received a mixed bag of reviews and opinions at launch, while the positive reaction to Resident Evil: Revelations has confirmed to the company that it has to return to the series’ roots in the next instalment.

Speaking with MCV, Capcom’s former SVP of marketing Michael Pattison said, “We have obviously seen the consumer response and the PR response. There was some great positives out of that, but it was a mixed bag, as we saw from the review scores. We have got to take that on-board, we can’t ignore that, and we have to take that onto the next game when we make the next Resident Evil.

“With Resident Evil 6 specifically, we probably put too much content in there, there were comments from consumers that said it felt bloated. The Leon missions went down very well, and because we did Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS, there was a cry out for us to focus our attention on survival horror, rather than be too many things to all people. You’ll find where we go next will likely be more targeted at our core fanbase.

“A lot is said about the saturation of this zombie, post-apocalyptic survival horror. But it is still alive and well. The Last of Us shows a good direction of what the consumers want. Tomb Raider as well, we spoke to R&D and they looked at that and they enjoyed that experience. I think that proves there is still a strong market for that sort of content.”

Is it about time for Resident Evil to return to its roots or should it just shuffle off gracefully? Let us know what you think below.

1. deathm00n

“The Last of Us shows a good direction of what the consumers want” No capcom, make your own ideas, Resident Evil was a pretty good series until they begin drawing inspiration from things that were doing well. But thanks for finally waking up… I guess

#1 11 months ago
  2. KAP

I’m sorry but Resident Evil 6 was an awesome and it sold 6 million copies, the only poeple that had an issue with that was the gaming press, we all know they hate to be wrong.

#2 11 months ago
  3. SameeR_Fisher

well that’s good and all, but I am sorry, I will only believe RE returned to its roots when I actually see it.

#3 11 months ago
  4. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Bring back jewels, tiger eyes and damned awkward controls and I’m happy.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Kieran

RE6 sucked a giant fly and a monster fish !!! seriously ?? dint get me wrong i loved RE5 but wesker boss fight & death was a bit weak !!! im glad there going back to the roots when resident was at its best

#5 11 months ago
  6. Bashtee

Resident Evil Code Veronica was probably the last good title in this series. I see why RE4 got such good feedback, but tbh, I was really dissapointed. The plot was weak, the virus stuff got out of hand and so on.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Dave Cook

Resi 6 was last year’s biggest disappointment after Assassin’s Creed 3. Both games felt poorly-designed and years too late. Terrible.

#7 11 months ago
  8. deathm00n

@7 Hear this man, he speaks the truth.

I’ve fell in the AC3 trap (payed the brazilian pre-order for the signature edition, price US$85.00) worst spent money in my life. I’ve tried the demo for RE6 and I’m thankfull for not having bought it after looking the reviews and the community opinion.

Edited: wrong price

#8 11 months ago
  9. Logion

Good to hear. I think they tried to please too many people with Resident Evil 6. Last of Us and Tomb Raider have indeed proven that you can still make a game that is not a generic action title and it will still sell pretty well.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Mus42

The last decent Resident Evil was the remake on Gamecube! Since then they’ve become a series of shooters, not survival horror games. I’d rather they remade the originals, in the same vein as the GC remake, for the next gen machines.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Francis O

Assassin’s Creed 3 was a better game than Resident Evil 6 though. Chris’ campaign is so bad….I quit out of frustration. AC3 was just boring at times, but was ok overall.

#11 11 months ago
  12. systemr

@9 No offense, but the new Tomb Raider is a generic action title. It’s a good game though, and I enjoyed finishing it :). But I doubt if it’s possible to create a game that is more generic than exactly that game.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Blackened Halo

Wasnt they saying exactly the same before the release of REsident Evil 6 ? :) lol :DD but I liked RE6 alot :)

#13 11 months ago
  14. spazman

bring back the director dude from 4, keep and expand the music, the UI, gun /firing mechanics in 4, use a wilderness stage moving onto a small town where you save and meet ur female cohort. Then onto a driving section; car, boat, whatever, surprise me. Leading on, to a futuristic underground complex. You’ll need keys and stuff in one stage to unlock guns and other stuff in another stage, at these points you discover a sub stage let’s say, an old mine shaft, and a new enemy which can only be killed with the gun you dropped because you can’t find any ammo for it. This new gen, really bring home the atmospherics, snow, hail, thunder, bright sunlight, mist, I want to see a zombie slip on some ice, snow hiding doors, sun melting snow. And nice little twists along the way, ie; you become a zombie and your cohort has to fight you while trying to find a cure to bring you back. Addendum. I didn’t play 6 I couldn’t bare another six hours of the shit I had to endure playing 5.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Ireland Michael

PEOPLE WHO PLAY RESIDENT EVIL WANT SURVIVAL HORROR WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!

I swear, talking to Capcom is like being punched in the face over and over again sometimes.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Obernox

Please Capcom, Resident Evil 6 was an awful game.

Playing Revelations HD right now, and i gotta say, they nailed downed the creepy atmosphere.
    Just do more of that Capcom, and maybe i’ll forgive you.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Jaclie

Between the constant QTE’s, unavoidable (unless you know it is coming) instant death tricks, IE the ambulance that will flatten you outside the gas station unless you know it is coming or were just plain lucky enough to be standing in the right place. Crappy inventory system. Stupid plot. Zombies who can take 12 shots to the head before dying, while others are one and done. The gun shop where the owner is upstairs and won’t close the security gates till all the zombies are dead, then the zombies somehow scale the building and come pouring in the windows…just no.
    I’ve enjoyed every RE game I’ve played before this one.
    I should have trusted reviews I’d seen online.
    I still have hopes that they can turn the series around.

The one thing I liked was being able to shoot while moving.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Professor Zoom

This piece of shit actually sold 6 million copies? They should take a 10 year break and find some new franchises to make before they come back.

#18 11 months ago
  19. ududy

Revelations wasn’t much better, with some really terrible gallery shooting sections and bosses, and the usual childish writing. RE6 had some nice parts, some awful parts and lots of mediocre parts.

Resident Evil needs to be reinvented, but definitely not as a third person Call of Duty clone.

#19 11 months ago
  20. grizzlycake

Didn’t they say the same thing about RE6 back in the day?

#20 11 months ago
  21. budoshi

resident evil 1 ,2 and 3 , all after that was rubbish

#21 11 months ago
  22. Ireland Michael

The original games were complete and utter garbage. Rose tinted glasses, FTW.

#22 11 months ago
  23. xino

RE6 was SICK!

WTF!?
    The game had a lot number of animations just like Last of Us, yet people praised Last of Us and hated RE6

because it’s not scary? gtfo!
    the older you get the less things gets scary

#23 11 months ago
  24. Dave Cook

@24 It was a car wreck. The Smurfs 2 has a lot of animations – being a CGI movie and all – and it looks fucking derelict.

#24 11 months ago
  25. Unknown_Gamer

KAP , xino

Both of you STFU , people been begging Capcom since ages to return to their roots and you idiots still sticking to this michael bay piece of garbage “games” , Fuck your opinions

JUST WAKE THE FUCK UP .

#25 11 months ago
  26. Clupula

I’m glad to hear that. I did enjoy Leon’s campaign a great deal, but Chris’ was torture to get through when playing solo, because it really did just boil down to being a generic shooter most of the time. At least with a partner, we could make comments about the longing glances between Chris and Piers.

Jake’s campaign didn’t bother me, but it didn’t feel like Resident Evil, at all. It felt more like a James Bond or MGS game than anything.

I guess people should be glad that Tomb Raider and the Last of Us (both of which I have yet to play) sold well.

On a side note, it is not lost on me that if he does end up getting his RE7 starring Claire or whatever, our resident (HA!) Tomb Raider hater will have Tomb Raider to thank for it.

#26 11 months ago
  27. Clupula

@18 – Amusingly, I never got hit by the ambulance until I actually tried walking in front of it, because I had been wondering if it was possible to get killed by it.

I had a lot of problems with Resident Evil 6, but none of the things you bring up were part of it.

That said, I still think RE5 was a lot worse of a game as that did not have a single horror moment in it and was pretty much purely a shooter.

#27 11 months ago
  28. salarta

Have RE7 star Jill and/or Claire and I’ll care, without that I’m not buying a damn thing. Their exclusion from RE6 needs to be made up for.

By the way, everyone.

“Tomb Raider.”

#28 11 months ago
  29. Clupula

@29 – Yeah, you didn’t read #27, did you? I mentioned you.

#29 11 months ago
  30. Clupula

Thinking about the ambulance thing. I loved a lot of the chaos on the streets where stuff like that was happening. I couldn’t help, while I was playing, but think of how cool an open world game would be like that, where events like the ambulance or the motorcycle were randomized and you had to be on your toes at all times as the town was going to hell. But then again, for years, I’ve talked about how much I’d love to see a GTA: Raccoon City crossover game. lol

#30 11 months ago
  31. salarta

@30: Your bacon is on fire, you should go catch it. :D

#31 11 months ago
  32. BluMag

I liked every RE titles except for OpR .But still missing the classic puzzles and horror .

#32 11 months ago
  33. YoungZer0

@27: I didn’t like Leon’s campaign at all. They made him actually cool in RE4 and RE6 transformed him into a mouth-breathing idiot.

Trying to reason with Zombie President? Sure.

Walking into an elevator with someone that was obviously bitten? Sure, what could go wrong.

Partner up with a whiney asshat? Sure, why not.

I kind of liked Jake. He’s new to the whole franchise so I’d say it would be much better if they used him in the new game.

Leon and Chris, they’ve gotten used to the whole thing. Nothing should surprise them now, yet Capcom forces them to act surprised, which makes them both look like complete fools.

There is a lot of potential with Jake’s character and honestly, his hand-to-hand combat gameplay was the best thing about the entire game. Loved running towards an enemy and jumping left and right to avoid fire.

I’m glad they took a look at the last Tomb Raider game. I really liked the open world nature of the game. That’s what I would want for the franchise.

Isolated on an island or a small european country (completely underwhelming in RE6). No one to save you. No big organisation behind you. It’s you against them.

Make it dark, make it atmospheric. Add in collectables, some side-quests, interesting enemies, great puzzles, keep the shooting mechanics from RE6. Nothing wrong with those. Just make the enemies more difficult, so that players would be forced to use everything they have at their disposal. Bring back the inventory from RE4. Bring back the weapons dealer.

No big cities, no Umbrella. Hire actual writers. No forced/dumb tension building. Chris had no reason to tell Jake that he killed his father, especially not in that situation. Jake had no relationship with his father. All he knew was that he was world-domination-crazy. So why would he be upset at Chris, let alone point the gun at him?

Fucking dumb.

I can’t stress this out enough: Hire actual WRITERS!

And make Co Op Optional.

#33 11 months ago
  34. RageOfThorn

They say this eveytime, but ALWAYS fail to deliver.

What they need to do is return to prerendered backgrounds, find a way for the characters to react without tank-like control, better physics, natural movement ect. I loved the way the Resident Evil remake looked on Gamecube. Fixed camera helped suspense, as bad as I hate to say it. It doesnt have to be that way all the time, they could mix it up, but make those backgrounds scary, stop playin Rambo meets monsters, and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP MAKING AMMO SO EASILY ATTAINABLE…..

To put the feeling and sense of impending doom back in the game, I really think they should reboot the series one last time.

#34 11 months ago
  35. salarta

@35: The most important thing they need to get rid of is QTEs. Fuck those things. They serve no positive purpose whatsoever. All they ever do is make people lose battles they otherwise won and distract them from what’s actually happening.

Also, I disagree on a reboot until Jill and Claire get to be the focal stars of a main entry Resident Evil game again. After that, a reboot is fine, but not before.

#35 11 months ago
  36. vicrysty

Remake, Resident Evil 1,2 & 3 on PS4 and Xbox one. Many say that Resident Evil 4 is the best in the series. I personally think it’s another game, different from Resident Evil franchise. From my point of view with Resident Evil 4 started the decline of the franchise. When they gave up zombies and introduced the kind of infection that shoot a gun, machine gun, throwing axes at you, you poke with fork, locations not very successful (castles, countryside, caves). Infection that occur in Resident Evil onward (including Resident Evil Revelations) are uninspired look ridiculous, I want to see zombies without forks, axes, pistols, machine guns.

#36 11 months ago
  37. CPC_RedDawn

As long as there is NO QTE’s, minimal explosions, and the old style of controls (or the option for it), and a spooky, creepy, tense, and new atmosphere then count me in.

Bring back Claire, Jill, Chris, and Leon and make one massive game in one (or more than one) MASSIVE mansion…. DONE!

#37 11 months ago
  38. Clupula

I am against a reboot 100%.

I wouldn’t mind if they got rid of the QTE’s, to be quite honest.

As for Claire, storyline-wise, she doesn’t want any part of what the BSAA are doing. She’s done dealing with zombies and monsters. She wanted a nice office job at the end of Degeneration.

Which, as a writer, would actually make a Claire game work, especially if she doesn’t even get a gun until halfway through the game.

The key to a new Resident Evil game is to keep it small. You can definitely have it within the world of Neo-Umbrella and the BSAA and the Family, but you don’t have to focus on the entire world being in danger.

If you had Claire in an office building, where an outbreak happens and the BSAA aren’t going to be able to get there before a nuclear strike is launched, you could have the entire game focus on that. There’s no guns until, say, you kill a security guard zombie, but he’s all the way on the first floor of the building. Maybe make it open world. Maybe have a few side missions where you rescue and arm survivors. Make survival the key thing. Make it so you have to mix your own heeling items or fix broken limbs. Take out co-op. Make it so you have to improvise melee weapons. Pulling a pipe off a wall that burns your hands and drains your life if you don’t wrap them first. Using a letter opener as a knife. And then, as I said, you don’t get a gun unless you kill a zombie that had one. I kinda liked the police/riot zombies in RE6 that fired wildly at you but I hated that you couldn’t just take their guns. That should be the ONLY way to get more ammo/guns in the game.

Really, you don’t even need Claire for that story, you could just have a game about an ordinary, every day person who gets stuck in this situation.

Maybe have one of the regular cast members rescue them at the end of the game if you manage to get out of the town.

That would be how I would handle an RE7, personally.

#38 11 months ago
  39. bzahediasl

capcom said this things before but they do nothing and getting bad and worse

#39 11 months ago
  40. Clupula

And for the love of all gods in every pantheon, do not bring back the stupid fucking tank controls. I put up with that shit on the Saturn and PS1 RE games, but that sort of shit has no place in 2013. I didn’t think it added anything in 1998. I certainly don’t think it adds anything now.

I was so happy when Silent Hill 2 let us just control our characters like a normal person after the first one had tank controls.

#40 11 months ago
  41. salarta

Resident Evil 4 took the incredibly important step of moving beyond Raccoon City. Until RE4 came along, the franchise was stuck there, with the only outlier game being Code Veronica, which wasn’t taken very seriously due to not being a main entry. The series was in decline because its whole universe revolved exclusively around that one location for every game.

Silent Hill was a different case because unlike Resident Evil, that franchise (only ones that count are SH1-4) covered various time frames and provided entirely brand new situations. Resident Evil is always set in the present day and always involves the same basic situation, so expanded locations is important.

#41 11 months ago
  42. Ireland Michael

@42 > says Resident Evil didn’t work because they didn’t expand out of a certain environment
    > selectively decides which of the Silent Hill games do and don’t count in his argument

There’s a giant, kraken sized hypocrisy in your argument (arecurrent theme in every argument you make, admittedly) so big its practically pummelling you in your face, and you don’t even seem to realise it.

Silent Hill was better because it actually had some thought put into its concept, the design of its setting, and its characters. It was harrowing, psychologically compelling and smart.

#42 11 months ago
  43. Clupula

Yeah, as much as I love the Silent Hill series, they actually reused the same maps in Silent Hill 2 & 3.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I liked that, but it goes completely counter to #42′s comment.

Not to mention Code Veronica is VERY much a main entry in the series. It was only titled Code Veronica because Sony wanted the numbered titles to be exclusive to Playstation, so Capcom took the side game, Last Escape and titled it 3, while they took 3 and titled it Code Veronica. Jesus, sometimes I wonder do you know anything about the series or do you just type to read your own words?

I mean, RE3 added so little that if RE2 had come out today instead of in the PS1 days, I fully believe Last Escape would have just been DLC for RE2.

#43 11 months ago
  44. GwynbleiddiuM

@IM “Resident Evil had zombies and shitty controls. 4 is the only decent game in the series. Nostalgia tells us otherwise, but the story was always bad and the characters were one dimensional… things that any modem franchise would get blasted for.”

What it lacked in story and character design, they always made up for gameplay and thrill of surviving a zombie apocalypse. I agree that the controls were poor but it was at the beginning of 3D adventure genre, it was acceptable in its time. You can argue that RE4 was the best in the series but it set the stepping stone for the series to go entirely the wrong direction. They shouldn’t have bothered themselves with the perfecting the virus in a large scale. It totally killed it for me.

RE always had the potential of becoming an open world survivor horror game, slow paced and a lot of puzzle solving to unlock secret labs, armories and story plots… and never give the player the power to shoot their way up, rather give them a gun to use it when they are in tight spots.

Everything that went completely wrong with series started with RE4, but RE5 totally destroyed it.

#44 11 months ago
  45. Clupula

I totally think RE5 is the worst of the series (and I say this as someone who not only thinks RE4 is the best of the series, but feels that RE4 is my second favorite game of all time). It is a pure generic third person shooter with not a single horror element to it and an AI partner who would often cause a game over no matter how well you were doing. RE6′s Leon campaign was a huge improvement over RE5, but Chris’ felt like an extension of everything that was wrong with 5.

#45 11 months ago
  46. monkeygourmet

I really enjoyed 5 in co-op, played it though twice.

I would like another Dino Crisis at some point.

Dinosaurs > Zombies

#46 11 months ago
  47. zinc

I wonder if they’ll pull the reboot card?

#47 11 months ago
  48. monkeygourmet

If they had any brains, they would make a Resident Evil / Dark Souls type game.

#48 11 months ago
  49. Clupula

I don’t think anyone would care if they rebooted Dino Crisis.

Resident Evil, on the other hand, you’d piss off a lot of people and render 10 games completely useless, as there has been a consistent canon between all of them, except for that one where you’re Umbrella people, but that doesn’t count.

#49 11 months ago
  50. Clupula

@49 – I would not want to see Dark Souls gameplay in Resident Evil. Too different from the style the previous games have had.

The only thing they should take from Dark Souls is maybe the open world aspect of it.

#50 11 months ago
  51. monkeygourmet

I know… :(

Would be a prime candidate for download only though, less risk…

#51 11 months ago
  52. monkeygourmet

Really?

I think that would work great!

Also:

“Too different to previous games”…

What?!

A survival horror, a co-op game, a light gun shooter, a online co-op game, an action game…

They only have a few different styles to try! :)

#52 11 months ago
  53. zinc

@50, Well they rebootd DMC, that worked out ok…

#53 11 months ago
  54. Kuwabara

@7 Sorry but i thought AC3 was the best in series. I really enjoyed the naval missions and i thought the stealth opportunities which arose in the forest areas were superb. Theres nothing better than hunting through tree tops and laying traps or taking out enemies in various ways.

#54 11 months ago
  55. Vice

Now also get rid of chris and leon, and I’m ready to give it a try…

#55 11 months ago