Dragon Age: Inquisition delay allowed for multiple playable races, says BioWare

Thursday, 15th August 2013 09:55 GMT By Dave Cook

Dragon Age: Inquisition wasn’t delayed as such, but the unannounced release date was pushed back before Bioware publicly revealed an Autumn 2014 launch window. The team has shed light on this extra year of development has given rise to multiple player races based on feedback from fans.

Speaking with Game Informer in a video interview, executive producer Mark Darrah explained how the date shift allowed more time for different playable races. “Because we moved the date we were able to bring it back,” he said. “We basically just had the time necessary to bring it back.”

According to series creative director Mike Laidlaw, the decision was “100 per cent” based on fan feedback and based on what members of the BioWare team wanted to see brought back.

“Why didn’t we bring it up?” he added of the release window shift. “We wanted to make sure it was locked down; we wanted to make sure our homework was done so we could commit to it and people could, with absolute enthusiasm, get ready for elf or dwarf or whatever.”

As a result, at least Humans, elves and dwarves will be playable races in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Fan-favourite Morrigan will not be a party member however.

Let us know what you think of the decision below.

Via Eurogamer.

1. absolutezero

and watch all of them be more or less different coloured humans.

#1 1 year ago
  2. macronia

#Gameplay ?! :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. MFBB

#2 there are a few minutes of gameplay on youtube, mixed in with behind the scenes/interviews of the staff.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ayman03

doesn’t fit the story
    the Inquisition were a human group dedicating their life to pursue blood magic and since they were all human the templar and seeker orders were human only throughout the entire books games.
    i never seen or heard of an elf seeker
    this is worrying that Bioware are trying to please fans regardless of their source material

#4 1 year ago
  5. infernalism

#4
    They are looking across the ocean and they see what is happening with The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077. They can only ride on their big name for so long until people start realizing who has the better, more polished, more ambitious product, and who is less concerned about DLCs and armors for the horses, and more focused on post-launch support and free DLC.

The Witcher 3 doesn’t have any kind of character creation, so they try to hit the perceived “weak link” right there. People love character creation for some reason. I could care less if the character given to me by the game creators is one I can role-play with. There is always a risk I will not be invested enough in a set in character.

On the other hand, blank characters usually have very general, generic storylines. I think only a few games managed to tackle this problem correctly, like Fallout series for example, so it can be done, it’s just quite hard and it usually involves setting some part of the characters past in stone, like with F:NV Courier and his trip to The Divide, and the fact that he is a human (like every Fallout protagonist) courier. Adding a different race, like being able to play super mutants, or intelligent deathclaws, would definitely change the story significantly, and not in a good way I believe.

This kind of approach never gives you so many options, as with a set character like say Adam Jensen from Deus Ex, Geralt from The Witcher and even Shepard from Mass Effect.

Bioware has to compete like everyone else, they are feeling the heat and their last product was abysmal (DA2). I love RPGs, and usually I’m willing to forgive many design flaws but…rehashed dungeons? Waves of enemies falling from the ceiling? No, that’s just insolence. And they dare to attack TW2 for their alleged misogyny? Heh…

#5 1 year ago
  6. Ireland Michael

What a lot of people seem to forget that is that Dragon Age: Origins was in development for years before it came out, whereas the second game was put together within a very short span of time. Extra time

@4 Do we actually know what part the Inquisition plays in this story? The previous organisation was disbanded. There’s nothing saying that a new organisation couldn’t invite different races to help them, especially with the whole, you know, demons invading the world thing going on.

#6 1 year ago
  7. fearmonkey

@6 ^ – well said….. Criticizing the game before we know more about it is dumb. I have faith that Bioware learned from the mistakes they made on DA2. Comparing this game to Witcher 3 is silly, The witcher series were always more complex than the DA games, I imagine it will be the same in the next games for both franchises.

#7 1 year ago
  8. GwynbleiddiuM

@infernalism Yes, there are times that you can make exception, like in Mass Effect, Witcher and Deus Ex. Those characters are well thought and very likable. But there are times that we want to have that old school feeling of pen and paper RPGs, where your character was what you want it to be, a beautiful elf maiden, a disfigured dwarf or a normal looking human, etc. There’s a huge room and demand for variety. I for one love those games, I also love Baldur’s Gates, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter, and Dragon Age: Origins. Where I could have a character that he or she would be, what I want them to be hang out with people that they wanted to hang out with, be a total jackass or a good-guy archetype or some grey place in between.

that’s why I absolutely hated Dragon Age II. It was nothing like DAO, it completely ruined the good name of Dragon Age, something that my Grey Warden worked hard to build and one sera Hawke did his/her best to screw it up.

Master Geralt has his own place, he is one great fucking antihero. Whereas Hawke was just a guy who wanted riches and fame. He couldn’t even come close to the people he fought against, Meredith and Arishok.

#8 1 year ago
  9. TheWulf

I don’t know how I feel about this one. I have a love-hate relationship with BioWare because I’m never sure what they’re about to do, and whether it’s going to be the same old troped thing, or something very new and refreshing. Dragon Age II was at least a little bit different in regards to fantasy and didn’t have a save-the-world fetish, so I didn’t hate it.

Inquisition, though…

This is what they haven’t told me, yet. What’s the player’s raison d’etre? Is their purpose to be The One who saves the lesser troglodytes who can’t save themselves, or is it something actually interesting? I don’t care about races, and I’d even play a human in it if it’s interesting enough. I just want to know whether it actually is.

I’m just so tired of save the world plots at the moment, they are the absolute epitome of lazy writing and unimaginative power fantasies. Honestly, if you’re going to have a power fantasy, at least make it an interesting one.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TheWulf

“Whereas Hawke was just a guy who wanted riches and fame.”

And ended up being a billion times better and more engaging than po-faced, cardboard cutout characters who fap to saving the world.

I don’t understand why having a fantasy game which is about other things is bad. Is there something sordid and horrid happening within this world of ours that I’m not aware of? I’m getting paranoid that people are having their imaginations surgically removed at birth.

I’m really getting very paranoid about this.

Just for clarity, I’m not championing Dragon Age and saying that it was a great game, hence that quote. I’m well aware of Dragon Age II’s problems and I was annoyed at BioWare for them for the entire time that I played. The bugs (almost as bad as a Bethesda game); the questionable game design choices (the endlessly spawning guards); and there was just so much lazy asset reuse that it was nauseating.

Hawke as a character, though? Hawke was okay. He had believable motivations and personality, he actually had some personality. He was engaging in his unusual and, for fantasy, uncanny amounts of depth.

No, he wasn’t about saving the world, but heroes who want that and only that tend to be these one-dimensional zombies that flit from place to place, slaughtering endlessly in the hopes that if they kill enough whilst hypocritically spouting their pious ethos, they might actually save the world. And worse, they do.

I’m sick of that. I feel like I’m playing a robot.

DESIGNATED PRIORITY: SAVE WORLD
    PROPOSED PATH TO SOLUTION: KILL ALL OF THE THINGS.
    PROPOSED PATH TO OPPOSITION: KILL ALL OF THE THINGS.
    PROPOSED PATH TO RESOURCE ACQUISITION: STEAL ALL OF THE THINGS.
    GOAL EXPECTATION: BE HERALDED BY PEOPLE ACTUALLY STILL ALIVE.

Bleurgh.

Hawke I liked as a character who wasn’t just this typical fantasy robot. Yeah, he was greedy, but at least he was something.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

Well, after the absolute steaming pile of shit that was DAII, they’re going to have to do quite a lot to regain my favor. This is a definite move in the right direction, though, as is making a bigger, more engaging world. What I do worry about, though, is the battle system. That was the biggest negative change from DA:O to DAII, imo.

#11 1 year ago
  12. zinc

^^ No, that would be your narcissem flairing up.

If it was paranoia , you’d be *unwilling* to spew your views all over the internet.

#12 1 year ago
  13. TheWulf

I’m kind of curious. Gameplay and world aside — did you at least like the plot and the characters?

That worry about people having their imaginations vivisected at birth is popping up again.

#13 1 year ago
  14. TheWulf

Well, whatever you say. It’d be nice if you’d like to discuss my ideas, though, rather than me as a person.

I’m a gamer, not a politician.

#14 1 year ago
  15. jamesx

So that means they weren’t going to do multiple races originally….

I am not sure what you mean about Hawke being engaging. He/she is a hideously written character. And the idea that he raised to gain power is moronic. In every chapter he is a tool for someone else who has no determination of his destiny – but that can just be a result of the unidirectional storyline.

While you don’t have to be Lord of the Rings or Wheel of Time or Game of Thrones to be good. It also doesn’t mean it is good because it deviates from the norm. Like the last 3 book of Wheel of time is atrocious. It is about as badly written as the mistborn series the writer is famous for.

#15 1 year ago
  16. zinc

@14, Oh quit your “sole voice of intelligent gamers” self aggrandization :)

I agree with the whole 2nd half of your post. (well put too)

I’d argue that the current “dumbing down” off games is due to the Pubs expectations of the gamer, nothing to do with the gamers, themselves .

#16 1 year ago