Call of Duty: Ghosts team invested heavily in the “emotional” aspect of the game, says Rubin

Tuesday, 6th August 2013 18:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Infinity Ward executive producer Mark Rubin has said the developer never rests on its laurels when it comes to creating the next Call of Duty game, as it wants every success to feel like a “Rocky” moment. With Ghosts, the team has invested heavily in the “emotional” aspect of the game, by bringing in a Hollywood scriptwriter to tell a tale was from the perspective of two brothers, and by tossing man’s best friend into the mix.

Speaking with GI International, Rubin said while its easy to become self-assured with the CoD IP breaking sales records year after year, Rubin is adamant his team remain focused, and consider every development in the series a challenge – and not a guaranteed “winner” in the shooter market.

“Every year, every time we made a new one it was the same thing [in terms of competition], and I like that,” he said. “I think that’s the part that keeps us hungry, that keeps us… we don’t want to feel like the top dog, necessarily. We want to feel like it’s a struggle every time. We want to feel that almost ‘Rocky moment’, which is kind of a weird thing to say, but we do want to feel like that. We want to feel like we’ve got a huge challenge in front of us. We can’t just phone this in and ship a game and expect it to sell.

“We actually really have to do harder work this year than we did last year.”

One of the ways the team at Infinity Ward hopes to accomplish another big win, is by getting the player emotionally invested in Call of Duty: Ghosts. Rubin hopes the storyline penned by Hollywood writer Stephen Gaghan will help accomplish such a feat – with his brothers tale, and the developer’s inclusion of the amiable German Shepherd which will serve as the player’s ‘war dog’ in the game.

“We’re really trying to push – paying attention to just those two [brothers] the whole story through and their emotional story and have the world have an emotional impact on it.

“[Steve] is really looking at this in a way that I’ve never seen a Hollywood writer look at it. He looks at writing for a game as an amazing chance at an artistic challenge as a writer. One of the things he described was… he goes, ‘As a writer, this is like art film. Basically, think about it. Your main character, your main star of your movie, is never seen and never talks. And so you have to craft a story that deals with that.’

“Think about it. If you took a game, our game, and you put it into a film where the main character never talked, never spoke, you never saw him – it would be like one of those black and white crazy French films. So he really loves the challenge of it and he’s been really engaged with everything. There’s a disconnect between Hollywood and the game industry. They have two different languages. And they haven’t in the past talked very well. And I think that’s changing.”

You can read the full interview with Rubin through the link, where he also discusses competition, and offers a few bits of information on next-gen.

Call of Duty: Ghosts releases on November 5 for PC, PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360. PS4 and Xbox One versions will release alongside the new consoles.

The first, live look at the multiplayer occurs on Wednesday, August 14 on the official website.

1. dsr

Spoiler: Dog dies in the end.

#1 11 months ago
  2. seanpr92

so i translate that to explosions explosions more explosions a bit of stealth and then somone you absolutly have no emotional attachment to dying at end right seriously though on COD fanboys actually belive actvison and ones that do the race to get to 10th prestige within a month

#2 11 months ago
  3. The Tempest

“the internet blew up and made the dog became this sensation… People are so in love with the dog”

That is definitely not the case. I’ve lost count of how many parody memes I’ve seen online about the dog.

#3 11 months ago
  4. FuntimeBen

Seems legit. They definitely have never said that before and then didn’t deliver.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

Spoiler alert the Dog dies at the end: the internet is sad :(

:D :D

Edit: I’m too late :(

#5 11 months ago
  6. salarta

YOUR NEW SQUADMATE IS A DOG.

THIS IS SOMEONE YOU CARE ABOUT.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Djoenz

muwhahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

#7 11 months ago
  8. Elrood

“We can’t just phone this in and ship a game and expect it to sell.”

As long as the multiplayer is up to par, yes you most likely can.

“We actually really have to do harder work this year than we did last year.”

Like making a new engine?

I can’t help but cringe whenever I see the word “emotional” in shooters. In most cases its just explicit violence, nothing more.

Spoiler: The dog dies at the end.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Mjorh

@1,5 +1!LOL!

Hollywoodic Game! Thanks!!!

#9 11 months ago
  10. G1GAHURTZ

Can’t get emotional about polygons.

End of story.

#10 11 months ago
  11. k1llabeast

That’s real cute Q.Q

Meanwhile in Battlefield 4: http://i.imgur.com/LJ59A9Q.png

#11 11 months ago
  12. deathm00n

““We actually didn’t make that big of a deal about the dog – it was just in a trailer and all of a sudden the internet blew up and made the dog became this sensation… People are so in love with the dog,”said Rubin. “They’re already emotionally invested. It’s amazing how many Twitter messages I get saying – in all caps – if you guys kill the dog, I will never play another…and I’m like, ooh, you’re emotionally attached.”

And this people, shows why people who don’t understand sarcasm shouldn’t be allowed to use the internet.

#12 11 months ago
  13. bradk825

You will THINK the dog is dead, but at the big “America is a country again” ceremony at the end you will see the dog all bandaged up and looking even more badass than before.

I hope they come through on the story front. I love it when I get wrapped up in a story. I started the new Tomb Raider game on Friday last week and finished it Sunday night. Every night when the kids when to bed I put a couple more hours in, it was just awesome. Cod needs a story that good, if you could combine that addictive multiplayer with a game that has a riveting story, you’d have the best game on the market, hands down.

#13 11 months ago
  14. actuallyisnotafox

I dont mean any disrespect to anyone but looking at most pre order sites battlefield seems to be more interesting to most people :’)

#14 11 months ago
  15. Erthazus

Lol… Ok.

I think devs achieved their goal because seeing how the game looks right now made me so emotional already.

#15 11 months ago
  16. bradk825

@14 Cod is in the lead for pre-orders, followed by Watch Dogs, followed by GTA, followed by BF4. Bf4 is fourth. Fourth. Not even second. Fourth.

Fourth.

#16 11 months ago
  17. stretch215

Yeah… Nobody cares about the sp for this game. Give me the mp and I’m good. Also, while I’ll definitely be grabbing both this and bf4 (xbox1), I’m looking forward to battlefield more. Edit: CoD hasn’t revealed the mp yet. I’m hoping for a surprise or two.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Erthazus

@16, Where have you seen preorder bullshit?

#18 11 months ago
  19. Agt_Pendergast

#19 11 months ago
  20. bradk825

#20 11 months ago
  21. Mjorh

@16 You see? that shows n proves that we have more casual gamers rather than hard-core! For the record, quality is not about sales!

#21 11 months ago
  22. stretch215

@21 lol. So you’re saying that the guy who plays CoD for 8hours a day isn’t “hardcore”? I’d say the exact opposite.

#22 11 months ago
  23. gusalomao

At the end the dog reveals himself as the big villain and you kill him with a knife in the chest. Thank god America is safe again!

#23 11 months ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

#24 11 months ago
  25. Armitage Shanks

You can already guess how laughable this will be and the memes that will be born from its ashes and yes as everyone says its a definite that the dog will be killed in a “big emotional scene”

#25 11 months ago
  26. Mjorh

@22 I’m not sayin all of’em are casual ,based on my experience n observation most of those who play COD as a top- priority videogame are buncha casuals with age interval 13-18 who have no idea whats goin on the gaming world and for the record being hard-core is not about duration ! i mean “the longer u play the more pro u are” is not true!

#26 11 months ago