Bethesda denies Arkane involved in Prey 2 development

Friday, 2nd August 2013 11:05 GMT By Dave Owen

Prey 2 seemed to be on the cusp of becoming vaporware when, a few weeks ago, it was strongly rumoured that Dishonored developer Arkane had been handed the keys. According to Bethesda’s Pete Hines, that simply isn’t true.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun spoke to Hines during QuakeCon. He had this to say about the rumours.

“All of that stuff, I have no idea where it came from. The Human Head Prey 2 thing is the Human Head Prey 2 thing. Arkane is over here, and they’re doing their thing, and that’s for them to work on. We’ll be ready to talk about what they’re working on when it gets closer to release.”

Hines goes on to insist that Prey 2 is still on its way – it might just take a while. “It just wasn’t where it needed to be,” he says. “It wasn’t meeting expectations that we had and – in some respects – Human Head had. We’re not just gonna proceed with a plan of putting this thing out until that gets addressed in a way that we feel like will be worth all this time and attention.”

Bethesda has suffered a similar, though less extreme issue with Wolfenstein, which has just been pushed back into 2014 after it failed to meet quality expectations. Although this is frustrating for fans, it’s better than getting half-arsed games a little sooner. At least we know that Prey 2 is still alive.

1. Pytox

i hope it wont be too messed up then

#1 1 year ago
  2. OmegaSlayer

I hope it stays the same as the demo we saw at THAT E3.
    It was one of the game I was looking forward more in all this gen.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Edo

@1 I agree,but this game has apparently been through some serious development hell and I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up getting another Duke Nukem Forever …

#3 1 year ago
  4. Max Payne

Maybe Bethesda wanted to be on next gen also ?
    But I think problem was game was very ambitious and they were developing on old ID tech 4 which maybe is weak for open world game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. absolutezero

Yay let Arkane do whatever they want please Beth.

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

” We’ll be ready to talk about what they’re working on when it gets closer to release.”

Hm, I swear I heard this before. Oh yeah, every god damn time he speaks about Prey 2.

Just let them release it Hines, the game looks better than most of your published games ever did.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Jahcoodie

What a load. If this was anything like Wolfy we would’ve heard some positive updates.

#7 1 year ago