Destiny players can totally avoid multiplayer if they wish, says Bungie

Tuesday, 30th July 2013 12:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Destiny developer Bungie has confirmed that players will be able to completely avoid the game’s multiplayer content if they choose, but warns that anyone doing so is going to miss out on a lot of fun.

In the latest edition of Bungie’s Mailsack blog, the developer said on the matter, “As for playing solo, this question still comes to us a lot, and we’re happy to answer it again. The company you keep, the challenges you tackle, the war you wage will all be products of the choices you make.

“If you never want to have a cooperative or competitive experience in Destiny, and if you want to experience every cinematic in private, you’ll have the option. We believe you’ll be having way less fun, and we think you may find it really difficult to resist the pull of our cooperative vortex, but when we say we’re building activities for every mood, that includes players who don’t want to party up.”

We know that Destiny features a heavy multiplayer component that bleeds into solo play, similarly to Guild Wars 2. If you want to see more of the game in action then check out Bungie’s latest gameplay video with commentary.

What do you make of the above?

Thanks OXM.

1. Fethennour

I bet trophy/achievement hunters won’t be able to avoid multiplayer. I’m 99% sure there will be online trophies/achievements. I guess we’ll have to “deal with it”.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Fin

Trophy/achievement whores can rarely avoid MP these days.

Also, I wonder if players can actively play offline, or is it more, you have to play online but can play in a private party?

#2 1 year ago
  3. viralshag

@2, I’m sure there won’t be an offline mode. Just an option not to play through group-focused content. You can play most MMOs solo, you’ll just miss dungeons, raids, PVP and group missions/quests.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fethennour

@2 I like trophies, does that make me a “trophy whore” ? There’s no need to be that rude, you know. I prefer the term “hunter”, instead of “whore” ;)

#4 1 year ago
  5. DrDamn

@Fethennour
    Why are you bothered by a trophy that requires you to play in a way which you don’t want to play? Just ignore and play how you enjoy the game.

@Fin
    I don’t think there is an offline option. Nature of the game is that it is online only.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

It’s a MMO, so it’s a Online only.

They are going to have Guild Wars 1 instance thingy so I’m sure you can have your own party with exception of public events.

#6 1 year ago
  7. MFBB

#5 I always say the same.

Never understood trophies/achievements on consoles/steam.

They force you to do very stupid/boring things or invest hours into finding 50 things etc and you dont even get anything for all that.

#2 its a online game (MMO server style), playing offline is not possible.

Same as Ubisofts The Division.

#7 1 year ago
  8. loci

@4 The only reason you hunt trophies, is because you want a virtual pat on the head from your peers. Like an insecure child.

“Look mummy, I collected 20 items, all by myself”
    “Well done son, you’re a very good boy, a big warrior” ~_~

#8 1 year ago
  9. ivycrew707

Im a trohpy whore who loves to hunt trophies lol…after spending my hard earned money on a game I feel I can waste as much time I as I want looking for stupid little things…and gladly accept my virtual pat on the head

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

I understand trophies and achievements. They can help give you new ways to play a game, targets for play or simply give you a virtual pat on the back for doing something good – recognition. I don’t understand the need to get them all for a particular game if it forces you to play in a way you don’t enjoy though – and why the game is at fault for doing this.

#10 1 year ago
  11. viralshag

I do like going after trophies but there’s a limit to how much extra work I need to do in order to get it. Like, I’m not willing to grind kills if it’s a ton more than what I would do from the main game but if it’s an hours work I’d do it.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Gheritt White

See? THIS is exactly why I <3 Bungie so much. CANNOT WAIT to dive into Destiny!

#12 1 year ago
  13. Ireland Michael

Trophies are a fun meta-game, especially if you really like the title in question, but I sure as hell don’t understand why people would play a game in a fashion they otherwise wouldn’t care about or don’t actively enjoy just to get a virtual badge.

If I don’t like the multiplayer in a game, I’m not going to play the multiplayer, even if 90% of the achievements are for that particular component of the gameplay.

#13 1 year ago
  14. ivycrew707

I go for trophies more for bragging rights with friends, but I read an article on Joystik I think where Steam has come up with a sort of rewards system for its achievements and really hoping Sony would do something like that

#14 1 year ago
  15. Vice

Wow, that’s an incredible news. I can’t stand any kind of cooperative/competitive play, this game just got much better for me. Now just confirm it for PC already.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Fethennour

@8 No, it’s just about getting 100% on a game. You have your point of view, please let me have my own. ;)

#16 1 year ago
  17. DrDamn

But if a game has an online element you aren’t 100%-ing the game if you don’t play it are you? You can’t have it both ways, i.e. I want to get 100% on a game but only have it apply to the bits I want to play.

#17 1 year ago