Blizzard confirms, details plans for World of Warcraft in-game store

Tuesday, 9th July 2013 14:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Blizzard has confirmed it is looking to introduce an in-game store in World of Warcraft, and will be testing some of the items it will include in the Asian region at the outset.

Speaking on the Battle.net forums, community manager Bashiok said Blizzard is still “pretty early in the exploration process,” stating that due to the in-game items currently on offer the “benefits of an in-game store are pretty clear.”

“We think everyone would appreciate the convenience of being able to make such purchases without having to leave the game, and ultimately that’s our long-term goal for the system, though there’s quite a bit of work involved in retrofitting those existing items into the new system,” he wrote.

“First, we’ll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset) based on player feedback: specifically, an experience buff to assist with the leveling process, as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune.

“We’ve had a lot of requests from players in different regions for convenience-oriented items such as these, and as with other new ideas we’ve introduced as WoW has evolved—including Pet Store pets, mounts, and more—your feedback plays a hugely important part in determining what we add to the game.”

Bashiok went on to state that it is still “too early in the process” to make any final determinations regarding the firm’s plans, but until things are finalized, the in-game store can be checked out by players once it is implemented on the PTR.

1. Tavarish

Double tipping, fuck yeah!

#1 1 year ago
  2. CyberMarco

Yey, World of Warcraft!!!

#2 1 year ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

We all knew this was coming, they are part of Activision after all :).

Still, can’t believe the cheek, surely they should drop the sub if it’s having an in-game store too.

So glad I’m sticking with GW2.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Tavarish

@3 Blizz wont drop monthly fee, they make way too much profit with them to drop it. They just try make double tipping work and bait in even more profits.

Yes, they are to make profit. It’s business and all, who knew? Still I personally find such double tipping to be shameful move from any company that runs MMO.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Tr0n

Triple dipping (game, sub, in-game).

#5 1 year ago
  6. dizzygear

@4 I can see them going for a Freemium model like Aion with monthly benefits like reduced instance CD’s, shorter queue’s, “free” mounts when your subscribed for an x amount of months, etc.

The reduced instance CD’s alone would make it so you practically need a premium sub if you want to do serious end game stuff.

#6 1 year ago
  7. hitnrun

Corporate idiocy at its finest.

Their shareholders and management can’t accept the decline in revenue from a 9 year old title, so they have to implement a model that will, of course, send remaining players heading for the exits.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Tavarish

@5 There is no such thing as “triple dipping” when it comes to MMO’s.

You pay 40€ for MMO and get 14€ worth of gametime with purchase so it’s very legitimate cost for initial buy in.

@7 Remaining players wont head for exit, they will head to in-game store and purchase latest mounts. There is nothing wrong with that if they are ok with double tipping model and love shit out of WoW.

Sure they lose some subs because of double tip model, but I would argue that revenues will go up a lot more than what they will lose in subs.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Tr0n

#8 Then it would be 14 € for the game client + 1 month, not 40 €. :) Pretty much every other MMO has a free client.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TheWulf

Well, hopefully this will help many WoW fans snap out of their conditioned stupor.

I think eventually games which are operant conditioning chambers like these will either be illegal or they’ll carry a warning. When people can die playing a game because it’s that addictive by design, then this is something that the law needs to look into.

This is the problem, it seems that most humans are far too open to operant conditioning, allowing themselves to be drawn into a fabricated addiction. The end result of this is giving a lot of money (one person admitted to five year’s worth in one recent comments section) to one company to feed their addiction. How is that any different than drugs, or having an alcohol or gambling problem? It isn’t.

I don’t know if this will drive away people, to be honest. But it may cause some who’ve sunken so far down into the swamp of the operant conditioning chamber that they won’t be able to stop spending money on it. They’ll either go broke, or they’ll seek out help to stop spending money. Both of which are going to make fantastic media stories. So… you go, Blizz! I think that Blizzard’s greediness is going to very much be their undoing, which is poetic and just.

I’m upset that more people aren’t taking a stance against this, though. Operant conditioning chambers leading to very real health concerns. I find it simply disgusting.

Oh well, like I said, maybe this will lead to a few more people snapping out of it. I really want that. I don’t hate WoW due to it being a bad game (which it is, but that’s not why I feel that way), but I hate WoW after almost having seen a person die from it myself. In my own home. It terrifies me to the core to think that a person can become so long gone after playing a game for just a few months.

It’s just not on, really.

Fans can apologise for a lot of things, but knowing that their game had a mother so addicted that she let her children die? Well, if they’d be apologists for that and try to brush it under the mat, they’d be nothing more than subhuman monsters.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Ireland Michael

You can tell who the people here are who don’t actually play the game.

This is simple an in-game store for stuff that is already available outside of the game in the Blizzard store, such as mounts and pets, which you are under no obligation to buy, and add no gameplay benefit to your character whatsoever.

Something like double experience points is just a quicker way to level. The levelling in WoW is already designed in a way level you past the zones you are long before you finish the quests anyway. 90% of WoW’s development is spent on the endgame content. So again, there is little reason to actually buy it. It’s entirely optional.

@11 People are responsible for themselves. If a person dies playing a video game, the problem isn’t with the video game. It’s with the person. If a mother was so obsessed with a game as to allow her child to die, then she was a terrible mother.

I don’t need to “snap” out of anything. I’ve never had any problem taking weeks or months away from the game entirely at my own whim. The game is designed in such a way now that its extremely easy to catch up to the end game if you stop playing for a while.

#11 1 year ago
  12. TheWulf

I don’t really care. I just want this game to go away for the loss of human life it’s caused and nearly caused.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

@11 Sure, but why should quicker leveling cost money?

People already pay for the code on a monthly basis, so why should they pay extra just to have an automated system switch a few numbers?

It’s just another case of money for nothing. It’s a product they’re selling because they can get away with it, not because it has actual value.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@13 Which is exactly why you don’t *have* to buy it.

The levelling as it is speeds you through the zones, giving you just enough time to experience the quests before letting you either head to another zone, or finish up the quests there. It doesn’t *need* to be any faster.

If other people want to get to get to end game faster, let them. I for one enjoy the journey getting there.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DSB

@14 Choice isn’t really an argument for or against something, and it really does nothing to explain why it wouldn’t be implemented by default.

The reality is this:

- You pay 60-80 dollars for the game+expansions
    - You pay 12 dollars a month for sub (may have been lowered, it was 12 when I was playing)

So after people have committed maybe hundreds of dollars to your franchise, you really want to charge them for switching a few numbers and making their game a bit easier?

Like you said, leveling is the bane of any Warcraft player. You want to max out your character and get to the real meat. I think it would be a nice gesture, and a decent way of honoring the people who spend possibly hundreds of dollars just to play a game.

To me it just reeks of a corporation starting to pillage a flagging series, and get as many bucks as they can before it’s over. Either that or they’re going F2P, in which case it would be a lot less abrasive, since you wouldn’t be paying them 60+ dollars just so they can sell you even more non-products.

It’s a classic EA maneuver in my opinion.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Hybridpsycho

So many stupid comments in these posts.

They’ve had this kinda mini-transactions for a LONG while. There are just a few and you DO NOT have to in any way buy these things. The only difference now is that they’ll be IN-GAME and not on the website.

There’s a reason Guild Wars 2 failed, it sucked and it’s F2P model is horrible (so stop praising it).

Also, I don’t currently play WoW and I don’t plan on doing so, so don’t pull a crappy “fanboy” card on me.

#16 1 year ago
  17. GwynbleiddiuM

@TheWulf, Oh, you again! ranting strong about WoW. Have you been treated badly in the game by players that it made you into this vindictive little angry boy who can’t stand the fact that WoW is alive and well? Or is it because your favorite of all times, GW2 failed so miserably that people rarely even mention it thesedays when they talk about MMORPG?

Either way, you are biased, and because of that what you say carries no weight. You just a spiteful wow hater and we all know haters gonna hate. You take rare instances of bad conduct by others as if it is a wide spread disaster. Idiots are everywhere, just because there are examples in a gaming community you shouldn’t act like they’re all to be blamed.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Tr0n

#16 Lol, you serious? GW2 is very successful. ArenaNet puts out free (yes, free) updates every 2 weeks and the player base is steadily increasing.

WoW players can only dream about support like this. :)

#18 1 year ago
  19. Ireland Michael

@18 WoW has been getting new, very meaty sized content updates every 2 / 3 months without fail since the new expansion’s launch. New content is being released faster now than it ever has in the game’s history, to the point where, personally, I can barely keep up.

I have no problem with people playing other MMOs, and I play others myself, but the grass is most certainly not greener on the other, whatever you want to believe. All these games have their good points and bad.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Tr0n

Yeah, well updates every 3 months for a game you have to pay for monthly vs. free updates every two weeks for a game you only buy once = there’s no comparison really.

Also, WoW has been out since 2005 and GW2 will only be one year old in August.

Just shows you how better ArenaNet has setup their development and update/patch pipeline compared to pretty much any other MMO out there.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Ireland Michael

@20 I disagree.

I enjoy Guild Wars 2, but there really isn’t half as much to do once you reach max level. WoW’s updates are much larger in scope, and add far more things for me to do over the same span of time.

I feel like I’m getting continued value for my money.

#21 1 year ago
  22. GwynbleiddiuM

@20 Because you have nothing to do in GW2 if they stop updating it. The game doesn’t even have an end game, you do exactly what you were doing while leveling, doing event’s or doing PVP.WoW has a formula that works for its audience. And even though there’s a wider gap between content patch a lot of people won’t/can’t go through all of it.

The content argument is hilarious tbh, the content Blizzard adds with every update is much bigger than anything NCSoft does in the same time frame.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Tr0n

@22 This only shows you haven’t been in the game lately. Guild Wars 2 updates are pretty large if you consider how fast they are putting them out.

You load up the game and there’s always something new to do, not just old content that you run over and over for a chance to get a good item drop.

#23 1 year ago
  24. DSB

@20 Guild Wars 2 does have a nice pipeline, but it’s still losing players a lot faster than WoW.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Ireland Michael

“@23 Since release they have added new PvE and PvP maps, new events, new dungeons (Fractals), new rewards systems, new mini games like Super Adventure Box, new jumping puzzles, a ton of new items and armor, new features like custom arenas, spectator mode, guild missions, revamp of achievements and network code,.. the list goes on.”

So… exactly like WoW then, just in smaller chunks?

“Saying that GW2 doesn’t have end game pretty much tells me you don’t understand the game or the developer. There is no end game, because the game never ends. It’s always evolving, hence the name “living world”.”

Okay, let me rephrase it. They’re next to no character progression.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Tr0n

@24 Actually, they are doing pretty good.

GW2 doesn’t have a sub, so if the player population drops at times, that’s not a big deal. They can, and it seems they do, come back when new content is available.

So ArenaNet needs to build good content for the players to enjoy it and play it and not just get their money based on faith that new content will come.

#26 1 year ago
  27. DSB

@26 Dropping the price isn’t something you do because you’re selling gangbusters.

They don’t just need people to come back, they need people to buy in.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Tr0n

I’m not saying they’re selling like crazy, but they have a steady growth of new players. ArenaNet’s main income are in-game store sales (cosmetic items, account upgrades and such) which in turn allows them to crank out new updates. A game sale is a relatively small % of that income.

And seeing that they have multiple teams working on these updates, both small and large, and the fact they’re able to put them out every 2 weeks, is a pretty good indicator that they’re doing just fine. :)

#28 1 year ago
  29. Tr0n

@25 “So… exactly like WoW then, just in smaller chunks?”

Yeah, but free. :)

“Okay, let me rephrase it. They’re next to no character progression.”

Lol, what?

#29 1 year ago
  30. Ireland Michael

@29 They’re barely any character progression at end game, no sense of team work to overcome challenging content, no real gear or character advancement – what little there in the game is extremely minimal.

I can’t believe you’re actually trying to pretend this isn’t an issue… the lack of end game content is widely considered the game’s biggest flaw, even amongst its own fanbase.

“Yeah, but free.”

It can be as free as it wants, but it doesn’t matter if I’m bored a month in and feel I have nothing to do beyond a few small events (PvP doesn’t interest me) once my character reaches the level cap.

#30 1 year ago
  31. DSB

@28 That’s obviously speculation, but I don’t think they’ll be getting 60 dollars out of every user from micro-transactions.

Personally I felt pretty discouraged from crafting because it was obviously just meant to fill your bags with junk so you’d buy even more space.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Ireland Michael

All of this is meaningless anyway, since neither game can do… this!

#32 1 year ago