World of Warcraft: Blizzard considering micro-payments

Thursday, 4th July 2013 12:51 GMT By Dave Cook

World of Warcraft developer Blizzard has confirmed it is looking at ways to add micro-payment items to the MMO.

Posting on the Battle.net forum, community rep Jonathan Brown wrote, “We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses.”

Polygon adds that rumours of paid in-game items began after an experience-boosting spell was found on one of the games public test servers

While the World of Warcraft store does already offer additional items, it does not offer am in-game microtransaction model.

What do you make of the above? Is this a worrying step, or is it the way of the future? Let us know below.

1. hives

Well you can buy mounts now and other silly stuff, just not in in-game store but on website.

But this info is a sign of free-to-play WoW coming I guess.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Blue Oni

Microtransaction payments on top of a pay to play subscription model?That’s a ballsy move even for something like WoW.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ireland Michael

This is fine… just so long as they don’t start adding stat boosting items, especially at end game content.

#3 1 year ago
  4. MFBB

#1 NO WAY! :)

I dont play any MMOs but they would never go free to play with millions of subscribers.

Last news I read was that it dropped to 8 million susbcribers, which is still more than all other subscribtion MMOs combined :D

#4 1 year ago
  5. ps3fanboy

the wow addicts will not even notice this, so lets cash-in blizztards… BRING ON DAH MICROS!, LOL…

#5 1 year ago
  6. noamlol2

it was always a pay2win

hence why you could buy items with real cash

#6 1 year ago
  7. Sciva

Microtransactions + Sub? Piss off.

#7 1 year ago
  8. KineticCalvaria

This is why GW2 rocks, I just wish more companies would go the ‘Buy to Play with cosmetic items in the store route’.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Ireland Michael

@8 Guild Wars 2 has micro-payments all over the shop.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Tavarish

So Blizz really goes for double tipping with monthly sub and then popping micros on top of it? Hopefully that double tip move from them tanks and hard so they don’t push it into any other games…

Secret World tried to do same double tip and it tanked hard.

#10 1 year ago
  11. GrimRita

Cant see WoW going free2play – this is just another way for them to make more money from the game I guess.

SWTOR already has its Cartel Market, and subs and free 2 play, and other confusing tiers of playing and its the wrong way to go.

Having a tiered system just creates a game of the ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ and its wrong. Either you are free to play with MTs or you are a subs based game because people are already paying enough through their subs fee for content and extras.

#11 1 year ago
  12. KineticCalvaria

@9, which is why I said cosmetic items… there’s nothing in the shop that you need to play the game… at all. And you can convert in game gold into store currency. So… no.

#12 1 year ago
  13. For Blood

This is why pimply face dorks who live in their parent’s basement play MMOs.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@13 Speaking personally, I’m neither pimply faced nor do I live in my mother basement. Guilty as charged on the “dork” front though.

As someone who plays MMOs regularly, I can safely say that the stereotype of most MMO players being socially detached, overweight nerds who live at home is entirely untrue.

#14 1 year ago
  15. For Blood

Did you know that all stereotypes are generated from actual facts. So yes, the majority of MMO players are pimple faced dorks in their parent’s basement.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Gnosis

@15: So you’re basically saying that for example black ppl are all criminals, Russians are all alcoholics and Americans are all fat and stupid? Cause, you know, stereotypes.

#16 1 year ago
  17. For Blood

Don’t forget the Brits and their bad teeth.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Ireland Michael

@15 Stereotypes are derived from exposure to the lowest common denominators. That doesn’t mean they’re even close to the majority.

It’s a stereotype that Americans are obese and lazy, but the actually obesity rate is only about a quarter of the population. That is far from “all” Americans.

I’ve bounced around dozens of guilds in numerous MMOs over the past decade, and almost none of the people I played with on a regular basis even remotely fit into the “pimply nerd in their mother’s basement” stereotypes. Sure they exist, but they’re not even close to being any sort of majority.

I’ve played those games with mothers, fathers, people in their 60s, disabled people, people who are young, old, gay, straight, transgendered, male, female, and people with families and kids and well paying jobs.

I’d go so far as to say I’ve encountered a greater amount of diversity playing MMOs than I ever have playing any other type of online game in my 25+ years of gaming.

You want stereotypes come to life and no-life people with bad attitudes? Just boot up any popular shooter’s multiplayer mode.

#18 1 year ago
  19. For Blood

I’ll give you the fact about multiplayer shooters. It is true a good majority of Americans are obese, just like me. I am 340lbs, however, I’m 6’10″ so it all evens out.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Ireland Michael

@19 But its *not* a good majority of people.

It’s about a quarter of the US population.

1/4 is not “a majority”.

#20 1 year ago
  21. For Blood

I’d say its about half to be on the safe side. Not all of us Americans have been sized up to gauge obesity. It’s better to over estimate than to under estimate.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Ireland Michael

@20 Actually, the “overweight” population is only about 1/3.

But that’s not really the point. The “majority” of MMO players are not all “pimply face dorks who live in their parent’s basement” anymore than the “majority” of gamers are all reclused geeks with no friends and no lives.

Surely gaming has come on far enough in the last 25 years to dispense with those sorts of stereotypes?

#22 1 year ago
  23. lookingglass

All they’re aiming to do is get more people exposed to the mounts and pets they offer on the website. Most of which benefit a charity with the proceeds.

In regards to the XP boosting spell, I believe they’ve realized a way to not lose money by allowing people to quickly level. The game is designed to pace you so your sub ticks as much as possible. This way, normal leveling takes 2 months and costs $30, or one month and a paid xp boost totaling $30.

This isn’t going to help FotM classes, but improving the alt game can certainly prolong the attention of long time players.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Mineral4r7s

yo wow going for micro? I am gone for good then. I used to come back now and again but that would keep me away for good.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Hybridpsycho

@8 Guild Wars 2 sucks

Not the F2P model, but GW2. It’s a terrible game and there are tons of F2P games that are better.

Also I like how everyone gets their panties in a bunch as soon as they mention micro-transactions.

They haven’t even said HOW they are going implement it, wait until then at least before you start whining.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Ireland Michael

I get the impressive this message has been construed completely the wrong way anyway.

It seems what they’re saying is that they’re just looking for a way for existing transactions to be done from within the game itself. Not that they’re considering adding actual micro-transactions.

#26 1 year ago