Crackdown is one of Phil Spencer’s favorite games, franchise is “not dead”

Tuesday, 25th June 2013 20:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft Game Studios VP Phil Spencer loves Crackdown. You know this. What you may not have known though is that the Crackdown logo which appeared during the Microsoft Xbox One reveal was just a homage. Apparently.

“Crackdown is one of my favorite games, and not just because it’s a Microsoft first-party game,” he told IGN “I have a lot of love for that franchise. The homage to Crackdown in the reveal screenshots was… I know there was some, like, ‘Did we accidentally sneak that…?’ It wasn’t accidental. Definitely.

“I don’t think Crackdown is dead at all. It’s a franchise that’s still close to me. I think there’s a lot of room, especially… for me, the natural progression for a game like Crackdown – and you see this showing up on our stage – is in these living, open worlds that live in the cloud.”

So there you have it. It’s not dead. It’s just resting. Or maybe pining for the fjords.

1. SlayerGT

“I don’t think Crackdown is dead at all.”

He must have skipped the second one yeah?

#1 1 year ago
  2. fearmonkey

Loved the original, the sequel wasnt as good.
    I hope they get a great dev to make a 3rd game and really hit it out of the park.

#2 1 year ago
  3. OwningXylophone

To paraphase… PININ’ for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did it fall flat it’s back the moment I played the sequel?

The original Crackdown was awesome, the sequel was just terrible.

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

I think the new Saints Row should serve people’s ‘crackdown’ appetite quite nicely…

#4 1 year ago
  5. superjay779

The second one had 4 player coop. Zombies would come out at night. I enjoyed the second one. Saints Row is not the same. Half the fun was looking for agility orbs to gain experience. I wish they made a next gen version. I would get it day 1.

#5 1 year ago
  6. SlayerGT

“Half the fun was looking for agility orbs to gain experience”

I agree. That’s why the first one was great and second not so much, imo.

#6 1 year ago
  7. dkpunk

I have fond memories of the first game. If they can get a hold of someone decent to take on the third, it definitely has the potential to be a great game.

#7 1 year ago
  8. reask

Argh I tried the demo on 2 different occasions and just didn’t get in to it.
    I must pick up the full game and just go for it as I have heard so many good things about it.

#8 1 year ago
  9. The_Red

How can Crackdown be a franchise with only 1 game? Yes, there was some zombie DLC released on disc title “2″ but that doesn’t count.

#9 1 year ago
  10. xxJPRACERxx

Love Crackdown too! Some of the best co-op experience I’ve ever had! (and the 1st Gears of War)

#10 1 year ago
  11. superjay779

@slayergt the second one had orbs also thats why it was also fun. Try the game out and don’t listen to haters.

#11 1 year ago
  12. harr0w

@2 yeah crackdown was masses of fun. second one just looked shite.

#12 1 year ago
  13. SlayerGT

@11 Oh I didn’t. I bought it on clearance for $15 and traded it in after 2 hrs. I was skeptical to the whole”zombie” thing. Something that could have been cool*. But with the environments “destroyed” all the traversal got jacked up. Ledges weren’t always “grabable” or they were glitched out. It was half assed and it showed. A cash-in on the fans of the series, and a spit in the face.

*It could have been cool. If the zombies were as fast and strong as a “half powered up” agent, where it is actually scary/ dangerous to go out at night (until bad ass lvl of course) that would have made for more interesting gameplay.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DreadSabot

the 2nd was not as well thought out as the 1st but still a good game. The zombies added more challenge than the gangs but it became too hectic at times. I think they could easily make another good one. Though i am not sure how to fit it in the same city or even the same timelines as the 1st 2 – maybe reboot the story a bit or move in the future – still as far as hero games go the 1st to me is a classic – and i would buy a 3rd

#14 11 months ago