Witcher 3 dev says the game counts, not the money

Monday, 17th June 2013 16:08 GMT By Dave Cook

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt developer CD Projekt RED has often spoken out against the desire for money without intending to invest it back into game development. Now, studio CEO Marcin Iwinski has re-affirmed the company’s stance by saying that the game is what matters, not the money.

Speaking with RPS Iwinski stressed that although making money is essential to a studio’s survival, the quality of games and the gamers themselves must always come first.

Iwiniski said, “But at the end of the day, the game [counts]–and not the money. Because the game will make the money if it’s good,” and added, “I think it’s in a way our trademark. People buy our games on day one because they trust us. And if we screw that up, it’s the end of the story pretty much.”

In the same interview Iwiniski added that all add-on content for the PC version of The Witcher 3 will be free. “It’s too early to talk specifics, but definitely all the DLCs and updates will be free,” Iwinski continued. “Of course, we’ll see what the platform holders will allow–what we can do for free [on next-gen consoles].

“I mean, there are different business models on consoles. From our standpoint, we’ll definitely do everything we can to deliver the same experience across all platforms.”

Last week, the famously anti-DRM CD Projekt RED announced The Witcher 3 for Xbox One, a move that sparked outrage among critics of Microsoft’s used blockers and 24-hour authentication. Check out what he studio said in response to the anger here.

Thanks Gamespot.

1. Bomba Luigi

I Love you Marcin, you can count on me buying your Games Day One.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Pytox

wait whut free DLC omg must insta buy witcher 3 !!!

#2 1 year ago
  3. backup

PS4 version all the way

#3 1 year ago
  4. Pytox

^3 pc version all the way with ultra settings :p

#4 1 year ago
  5. Pytox

and redkit with mod tools :p

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

I’m planning to buy the newest videocard when Witcher 3 will come out. I hope that 800 series of geforce will come out.
    To play on ULTRA settings and with Redkit tools.

I’m such a CD Projekt R fanboy. I played all their games at LAUNCH and have all limited editions.

I’m CD PROJEKT RED FANBOY AND I”M PROUD OF THAT! Yesh!

#6 1 year ago
  7. backup

good for u then me going for PS4 version

#7 1 year ago
  8. OnionPowder

@6 better than being a PS3Fanboy.

Here’s to hoping that Nvidia launches the 880 ahead of The Witcher 3.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Pytox

or witcher 3 free with new 880 card? :D match made in heaven

#9 1 year ago
  10. YoungZer0

It must be awkward for those guys.

They are planning on releasing Witcher 3 on the Xbox One. Yet the Xbox One won’t even launch in Poland until further notice.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Erthazus

880 and Witcher 3 for free? Nah. I want collectors edition.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Max Payne

Nvidia is to cheap to give something for free.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Belmont

For once I understand the reason behind your thinking ! They are really good at what they do.

#13 1 year ago
  14. UuBuU

Im not a big fan of their games ~ but you have to respect their attitude towards game development

#14 1 year ago
  15. hives

I was wondering if I’ll buy W3 on PS4, but seeing what they did with W2 on PC… No way I WON’T buy PC version :) Mods, free big updates and game modes. Great thing.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Tavarish

@2 It’s how CD Projekt Red rolls. Quality content and large updates for free when you own theirs game on PC.

#16 1 year ago
  17. f1r3storm

If MS and Sony don’t change their policies, they’d just have to release the DLC for free on PSN so they could offer it for free on XBL as well.

#17 1 year ago
  18. TheWulf

I think what’s being said here is that they make the game they want to make, rather than the game marketing tells them to make. This is actually very unusual. I remember when Electronic Arts did that, and we had Mirror’s Edge and Dead Space because of it (and yes, the first Dead Space was very good, before it devolved into a witless, popcorn-munching action shooter).

Whilst I’m not completely interested in what they do since I’m drifting further and further away from the more typical forms of fantasy, I do respect that they’re creating the games that they want to, and they’re still willing to treat their users like they aren’t idiots. One thing I’ve always respected about the Witcher games is that, similar to my favorite developers, they’re willing to tackle issues and put throw some genuine consequence into the mix.

The last two mainstream RPGs I can remember which did that were New Vegas and Mass Effect 3. And Mass Effect 3 was mostly just with the ending because the best ending there was a very transhuman, symbolic one that went whoosh over the heads of most gamers. (Which isn’t all that surprising.) I’d like to see more developers creating games for the sake of making good games, rather than making games which fit demographics.

#18 1 year ago