Sony invites Notch to its E3 event by giving him a golden PSone

Monday, 27th May 2013 15:54 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Markus “Notch” Persson, the creator of Minecraft, has received a rather classy VIP invitation to Sony’s E3 press conference: a golden PSone console.

The developer disclosed this news via a tweet:

Although Minecraft has been released only for XBLA as far as console releases are concerned, selling well over 6 million copies on the network; it’s well known that he’s not too fond of Microsoft’s practices. He even tweeted about how unexcited he was by the Xbox One reveal stating that he “wanted a game console, not a voice and gesture based tv remote box.”

The invitation surely makes things interesting as Sony might be looking to woo him over to develop something for the PlayStation 4.

But we’ll have to wait until E3 to know for sure what the publisher plans to do by inviting him to its event.

1. Lengendaryboss

Kiss Up Much? :D

2. Cobra951

Let’s hope that Sony actually delivers a real counterpoint for the nightmare that is the XB1. If Notch can help, I’m all for it.

3. Erthazus

Sony is starting to kiss everyone’s Ass just for the sake of it.

Ok. Ok.

4. ps3fanboy

that is how sony treat indie… not like microsoft that smack indie down, then demand ass up and face down.

5. KrazyKraut

why? what he has to do with PS/sony or what he has done for them?

6. deathm00n

Maybe this is the VIP invite for everyone and he is the only one who showed it.

7. Lengendaryboss

I refer you to my comment or Erthazus’s comment, basically Sony is trying to poach indie developers from MS, well Sony is appealing to almost all of the indie developers. But to answer your question Sony wants a piece of that Minecraft pie :D

8. Clupula

I don’t think they’d just send him this if there wasn’t already a deal in place for him to announce something at E3.

9. Lord Gremlin

Not interested in his garbage.

10. ps3fanboy

@7 Lengendaryboss, poach indie developers from MS???. that was a new excuse i haven’t seen before… MS have officially gone public and told they don’t want to support indie. also Markus “Notch” Persson have said public on his twitter that xbone suck arse. so one thing is for sure there is no one that poach anyone here… you numb nut.

11. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    No what i meant is that they are poaching the formerly exclusive Xbox360 developer to bring Minecraft To PlayStation Platforms. Don’t call me numb nut as it is pointless your opinion of me like i said to a Nintendo version of you doesn’t mean anything to me.

12. Clupula

@11 – Wouldn’t it be hilarious if PS3Fanboy and Francis were really the same person, just with some sort of multiple personality disorder.

Now that I think about it, I don’t recall the two of them ever tangling. Hmmmm…

13. redwood

@11 poaching is a very large term to use here. and the kiss-ass comment is invalid, but i think you were just trying to be funny.

14. xBASSxMONSTAx

Minecraft on PS4. You heard it here 1st. :D

15. redwood

btw good move sony, but I really don’t see too much value in it unless they come out with some sort of exclusivity deal with notch. But i doubt he will do that, because mC’s major audience is on pC

16. G1GAHURTZ

Oh, I thought it was actual gold…

Turns out, it’s just paint.

17. Lengendaryboss

@Redwood
    I was trying funny, looks like i failed oh well and next time i will use a better term for poach, attract to their platforms maybe?
    @Clupula
    Very mysterious indeed.

18. Clupula

@17 – You would think two titans of fanboyism from opposite sides of the tracks would be natural enemies, like the badger and the dolphin.

19. ps3fanboy

G1GAHURTZ=BUTTHURTZ… *flush toilet*

20. Erthazus

Butthurtz? Classy.

21. ps3fanboy

@11 Lengendaryboss, sorry for calling u a numb nut. it is now clearly that Clupula is the numb nut here.

22. Phoenixblight

“because mC’s major audience is on pC”

Nope.

“Of course, while the PC version’s sales were impressive, they couldn’t top the sales of the Xbox 360 version. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition was purchased 100,416 times on Christmas day, jumping up to 325,591 sales during the larger Christmas week. 5,002,370 sales was the final tally for Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition, which again is something that we already knew.”

23. Clupula

Hmmmm…and just like Francis, he picks me out to insult. Hmmmmmmm. Coincidence? I think not.

24. ps3fanboy

@23 paranoid much?? maybe you should take a rest from the cybernet…

25. Clupula

@24 – Which is exactly what Francis would want me to do!

26. redwood

@22.. arn’t those just christmas season sales? also the next para says
    “With the huge number of people getting a new smartphone or tablet on Christmas day, it definitely isn’t surprising that the sales for Minecraft: Pocket Edition managed to come in on top of the Xbox 360 and PC versions. The mobile version of Minecraft netted 283,939 sales on Christmas day, 706,419 on Christmas week, and 5,899,727 for 2012 as a whole. Both iOS and Android sales are counted in this figure, so it would appear that Mojang is cleaning up across all platforms.”

27. redwood

interwebs tells me, total sales 20 million, and 10 million are just on PC.. the rest are xbox and pocket addition.

28. Francis O

@25 What the hell are you talking about….?

- Clupula, sometimes you try to hard man. Work on getting more subs on your YouTube than commenting so much on VG247.

29. Phoenixblight

I provided a link that of which you have not other than anecdotal. Link or it didn’t happen.

30. Lengendaryboss

@Clupula
    Damn I think we said Francis so much that it attracted him :D

31. Clupula

@28 – I dunno. I’ve never seen a picture of you two together.

In fact, I’ve never seen a picture of either of you. I have no reason NOT to believe that you’re both the same person.

Does make one suspicious, since I would assume you two would be attacking each other more than anyone on this site.

Although, in fairness, it is common, for someone with a split personality to black out when the other personality is in charge. You guys could be the same person and not even know it!

32. Clupula

@30 – Or was he ALREADY HERE THE WHOLE TIME?

DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!

33. ps3fanboy

@32 Clupula, look…

34. DocCylon

Everyone seems to have missed a major part of this story, and that is that this is the sexiest goddamn PSOne I have ever seen.

35. redwood

homie pleeeeeease

36. grizzlycake

Quite indeed. I wonder if it has golden controllers too.

37. Sadismek

@22 What?

“So far 10,650,032 people bought the PC/Mac version of the game”. I’ve just got that from their official site.

38. Lengendaryboss

“Well Oh No” Family Guy :D True it would have been even more sexier in stores back 1990s.

39. Phoenixblight

Ok you provided a number for the PC version but not of the 360 version.

40. redwood

the total sales are around 20 million, and the android sales have topped 5 million.. so they must be around 5-6 million , good but not as great as the pc.

41. Sadismek

@39 You’ve told us the numbers in your #22 post :|.

42. Phoenixblight

No that was for last Xmas not the most recent as redwood had provided for PC.

43. Sadismek

@42 Oh, me bad then :P.

44. Lounds

Does the PS3 have enough ram to run Minecraft? Java uses 512mb-1024.
    I know the Cell can manage Minecraft but does it have enough ram?

45. Lengendaryboss

@Lounds
    Developers can find comprises and who said anything about a PS3 version? PS4 and PS Vita, All of the above.

46. Lounds

seeing as PS3 has a massive user base, it would be dumb to not make it for that as well as ps4

47. Clupula

Yeah, I can’t imagine they’d skip a PS3 version.