Metro: Last Light Ranger mode will cost $5 – because retailers

Saturday, 11th May 2013 16:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Metro: Last Light’s pre-order incentive, the Ranger Mode DLC, may be free for those who drop cash early for the game, but retailers have forced Deep Silver to charge $5 for the DLC for non-pre-orders.

Speaking with PC Gamer, Koch Media’s global brand manager Huw Beynon said the Ranger pre-order DLC – which removes the HUD and makes enemies more volatile – was included as an incentive because exclusive content such as this is becoming “a requirement by retail” anymore.

“Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case,” said Beynon. “We rejected requests to make story content or additional missions exclusive. We also rejected requests to make this a timed exclusive.

“We do not recommend Ranger Mode for a first playthrough, and this is made very clear both in-game. We expect Metro fans will want to try Ranger Mode for a subsequent playthrough, and we think that for this hardcore player, Ranger Mode offers a richer experience – but only once you’ve clocked the game at least once.

“We took all the steps we could to ensure that, while still offering retailers a pre-order incentive that met their needs, we did not force players to pre-order, or make them wait to get this content.”

Those who don’t pre-order the game can purchase Ranger Mode at launch for the aforementioned $5/£3.99, which Beynon said is “the lowest 1st Parties would permit us to charge for content of this nature.”

Metro: Last Light launches in North America on May 14 and across Europe on May 17 for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Bomba Luigi

What freaking Big BS is that? Charging extra Money for Hard Mode, wtf? Yeah, Retailers want some shit for Pre-Order stuff, but I doubt they ask specific for that. Some Guns or whatever and they are fine.

But even when Retailers forced them with some Gangster Bone-Braker Stuff, its still stupid. “The Way its ment to play” they call it, and then charge 5 bucks.

When we have to pay extra Money for a difficulty Mode, that really is too much. That DLC stuff is going way to crazy. And they wonder that I buy Games like that Used or not at all.

2. Nerdgazm

“Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch”

I don’t see what the big deal is, if you’re a fan or interested in a game why is it so hard to just slap down some cash for a pre-order? Especially if you KNOW you’re going to buy it. I’ve been doing it for years. It’s not rocket science.

3. Lengendaryboss

Sometimes people don’t preorder, sometimes they just walk in and pick up the game, money problems pick up the game when cheaper or not enough time. I don’t preorder all my games, i don’t missing out on preorder content, it is the main course i am interested in, not starters.

4. Nerdgazm

@ 3 Yes I know, I worked in the video game retail for years. I get it. Not sure why they even have to do this silly little pre-order ‘bonuses’ Something like this ranger mode should be free to all later, not $5 bucks.

5. ps3fanboy

another game of my wishlist…….

6. The_Red

Next-gen begins! Want hardcore mode? Pay up or buy before final product and reviews are out.

Coming soon: Want casual? Heck, want difficulty selection? Pay up. Hardcore, super microtrasaction coming to a next-gen console near you.

7. zinc

I think the real issue here is that most pre-order dlc is never worth the amount of butthurt it generates on the internet.

Take Mass Effect 2 & 3. Zaeeds revenge & the Promethean mission. Neither added anything great to the game, yet some peeps act like Bioware were ripping the soul out of a game.

I personally believe all the internet outrage actively encourages pubs to do this kind of thing. They know they’ve got an audience who *need* every last bit of content.

8. Raven67

I believe deep silver in this. If people don’t buy the game for this thier not hurting GameStop, amazon, and best buy or publishers, but the developers who worked hard for this game.

9. JimFear-666

Its when i see things like that i hope a game will be pirated like hell just to send a message.

10. Lengendaryboss

To all the developers and publishers earning less money to develop games, more likely to shut down and leave families starving? Of being the worse care scenario.

11. lancevan

Talk shit on deep silver all you guys want but hoping a game fails because of the publisher is terrible, seeing as it effects the developer. I hope last light does great, because I loved 2033 to death and having more metro games sounds great to me. On the topic of ranger mode, its honestly the only way I play metro.

12. Stephany Nunneley

@all .. “because retailers” – did I do that right? I am not to “hip” on how the kids speak now and days. :p

13. zme-ul

if the “industry” keeps doing this then I have no issues with “it” going belly up and hoping to see “it” burn to the ground

BS like this needs to stop, taking content out of the game and demanding people to pay up for that is not OK
    this crap will lead to piracy instead of increased sales

I always thought Deep Silver to be more level headed than the rest of the pack, guess I was wrong

14. Lengendaryboss

@Steph
    Much better if you said “cause retailers son, we need to teach dem a lesson” but other than your close to being hip :D

15. Emperor of Man

This is really not a wise decision. I know they don’t recommend playing the game in Ranger Mode in the first playthrough, but many people (including me) would like to do it first. I dodged the bullet by getting the steam pre-order version, but many people would be unhappy about this…

16. MidlifeAxe

@12 Too many people want to jump on the hate band wagon!

Out of all the publishers in the industry, I’d say Deep Silver are the least evil and they haven’t given me any reason to get my pitchfork out so I’ll take their word for it on this one.

17. Clupula

@7 – That’s not true. Javik’s dialogue is stuff that should have never been taken out of the game. You learn so much of the franchise’s lore, just from having him in your party half the time.

18. Gigabomber

@12 It summarized the article perfectly for me.

@6 Yes, the microtransaction and pre-order bonuses are shit. They are both only necessary to boost cash flow because of how many horrible games are made nowadays. It’s too bad they’ve been muscled into this.

19. minxamo

Day 1 pirate.

20. Llewelyn_MT

Preorder bonuses… Timed DLC? Fine. Extra character skins? Fine. Extra items? Fine. Discount on Season Pass? Fine. Removing game modes that supposedly “the way it’s meant to be played”? He’ll no!

I never preorder, so I’ll be waiting for a Steam sale on this one. Satisfied?