The Sims 4 announced, always-on netcon not required

Monday, 6th May 2013 18:28 GMT By Debabrata Nath

The next installment in EA’s life simulation series, The Sims 4, has been officially announced.

The game is in development at Maxis and will be hitting PCs and Mac sometime next year.

EA’s put up an official announcement post on its website -

“The Sims franchise is fueled by the passion and creativity of its millions of fans around the world. Their continued devotion to the franchise ignites the fire of creativity of the team at The Sims Studio, driving them to continually improve and innovate on one of the world’s most successful simulation game that has sold more than 150 million copies worldwide.”

TheSimsHub, a Sims fan site, has put up an extended version of EA’s announcement which reveals that the game won’t require players to be connected to the internet in order to play it.

“The Sims 4 celebrates the heart and soul of the Sims themselves, giving players a deeper connection with the most expressive, surprising and charming Sims ever in this single-player offline experience,” it reads. “The Sims 4 encourages players to personalize their world with new and intuitive tools while offering them the ability to effortlessly share their creativity with friends and fans.”

Maxis’ recently released SimCity was subject to a lot of negative reactions because of the game’s always-on internet requirement.

1. Lewis247

I wonder what more they could possibly add to the franchise.

#1 1 year ago
  2. sg1974

Apart from on the next XBox.

I kid, I kid. I think.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Yoshi

@1 Same. Good thing it’s not always-on bs.

I’m not sure if this is in the current games but is it possible to create an entire town/city of sims with a bunch of friends? I haven’t really heard of it within a Sims game yet and it really seems like a missed opportunity to create some nice community fun.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

the sims rip….

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

I wonder what happened that made Maxis change its brilliant and exciting “vision” of connected and interacting game from Sim City 5…

#5 1 year ago
  6. DuckOfDestiny

@1 Don’t you mean what they could take out, then sell to us via DLC?

The amount of content in The Sims 3 was fucking shocking, especially considering the PS2 games had more items available in the store.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Eddie Rodrigues

If they sell us the full game this time and develop an actual simulation then maybe I can grab it… maybe.

#7 1 year ago