Thief fans petition for return of original Garrett actor: amasses 1,800 names

Monday, 15th April 2013 13:09 GMT By Dave Cook

Thief fans are petitioning Eidos Montreal for the return of original Garrett voice actor Stephen Russell, and the campaign has already amassed some 1,800 names.

PCGamesN reports that at present, Garrett is now being voiced by Assassin’s Creed 2 mo-cap actor Romano Orzari, and that some fans are none too pleased.

The petition is called “Eidos Montreal; Square Enix: Bring back Stephen Russell for Thief 4″, and you can sign it here if you wish.

Let us know if you do.

1. Beta

Much like the David Hayter petition (now nearly at 16K I believe.) I hope this has some effect. However Eidos weren’t complete douches about replacing Stephen Russell. Unlike Konami with Hayter they actually contacted him.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Gheritt White

This is futile… 80%-90% of the v/o and mo-cap stuff will have been captured by now, blates.

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheWulf

I can’t see this actually getting anywhere, really. And it’s their choice, I respect that, even if I don’t like it. I won’t force them to do what I want, but I certainly won’t be buying the game, either.

I just don’t like it. I don’t like the washed out look, I don’t like how it handles doors (just pushing them open), I don’t like how it sounds like they’ve turned it into an Assassin’s Creed-ish one button spectacle fighter, I don’t care for how they want to use the name but don’t actually seem to like the damned lore attached to the name, and I don’t like how they want to add magic into the mix. I just don’t like it.

To be honest, I’d rather see Frictional Games create a spiritual Thief successor. If you think about it, Penumbra and Amnesia had the right feel for such a game — the atmosphere, the movement, the handling of sneaking and doors… it was brilliant. Imagine those mechanics in a Thief-like game. That’s what I want. EIDOS can keep their paltry offering. At this point, I don’t have any faith in what they’re doing.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Stardog

The new voice is pretty generic compared to the first. It seems to be some arty-farty reason for changing it more than anything. They’re trying to say it’s because they’re acting it out on the mocap stage, yet I’m sure nobody would notice if the old was voice dubbed in.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Gheritt White

@3: Er… hasn’t magic always been a part of the Thief series?

If Eidos Montreal can successfully resurrect Deus Ex, I reckon there’s a pretty good chance they can do the same with thief, personally.

#5 1 year ago
  6. karma

^ Deus Ex: HR was no where near as good as the original.
    Its one of the reasons I’m not looking forward to this Thief remake.

– Signed because I cant imagine a Thief game without Russell’s voice, that would be the bigger disconnect. Why not make Garrett older?

Anyhow, this is another AAA I won’t be buying due to me not enjoying modernised, fast paced action and dumbed down gameplay for the masses.

#6 1 year ago
  7. CycloneFox

For Thief4, it is clearly explained why the voice was replaced. Because the new person for this job, does not only to have a nice voice, but because of new game-development procedures, he has to be a good actor, too. I don’t think a petition could or even should change that.

Maybe it is the same reason for MGS? But that would mean KojiPro produces the game on english, and translates localizes it in Japanese later, which would be odd.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Froseidon

I don’t get why people petition to have games changed. Seriously, you wouldn’t ask a writer to change their novel because something happens in it that you don’t like or an artist to change their artwork because it doesn’t do anything for you.

Its the company’s / developer’s game, not the player’s game. People need to stop wasting time with these petitions.

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

“Seriously, you wouldn’t ask a writer to change their novel because something happens in it that you don’t like or an artist to change their artwork because it doesn’t do anything for you.”

Erm, yes they would.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Froseidon

@9 By asking them to change it (and if they did), it no longer becomes their own work anymore. You shouldn’t ask them is what I’m getting at. People might ask them to, but they shouldn’t.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Hunam

Thing is with Metal Gear it’s kinda like… it’s a continuation of a previous game, changing the voice is stupid. With this, it’s a full on reboot… when rebooting it’s perfectly ok to change the voice actor, damn near required to give it’s own identity.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Who. The Fuck. Cares.

If you do, you really, REALLY shouldn’t.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Mus42

Wow, a whole 1800 names? Well that will really get SE’s attention…..

#13 1 year ago
  14. theevilaires

Fuck petitions! You want to hit them where it really hurts but enjoy the game still?….Buy it used ;) Thats what I’m doing with Metal Gear Solid 5 and every game from now that doesn’t give the mass hardcore audience consumer what they want.

I used to be against used games heavily but all these cocky ass devs leave me no choice. You want to switch things up without the fans consent then I’ll simply make sure I use your product (and enjoy it) without you getting a single penny for your hard work. Whose getting fucked now Mr. Kojima ;)

Spread the word. Its time to teach these motherfuckers whose really in charge of this industry and thats the consumers. All you losers who use that facebook and twitter crap this is the way to get what we want not petitions.

BUY THE GAME USED FROM GAMESTOP!

#14 1 year ago
  15. Bruno

@#14 wah wah wah I hate your game that you CHANGED WITHOUT MY CONSENT, but not enough that I won’t still play it and enjoy it! Jesus, do you even know how much of an entitled hypocritical little kid you sound like? Going out of your way to try to screw the developers over something as petty as a voice actor, something that you obviously don’t even really care about THAT much if you’re still going to play the damn game anyway, isn’t some clever revolutionary action, it’s fucking childish and pathetic. Your embarrassing spoiled little tantrum makes these petition people look like winners.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Gheritt White

@16: It’s okay, thanks to TEA and people like him *all* games will be F2P with MTX in three years time.

#16 1 year ago
  17. YoungZer0

@10: “People might ask them to, but they shouldn’t.”

Absolutely agree.

#17 1 year ago
  18. fearmonkey

It almost would have been better if they had a new thief and brought in garret to introduce the new character, as at least we would have Garret witb his original voice.

People would have complained just as loudly then too though, im afraid that a peition is pretty useless, nothing will change at this ti,e/
    Maybe using russel in someway like DLC, but I doubt it. If they released DLC later with Russel doing the voice overs, I wonder if people would buy it.

#18 1 year ago
  19. theevilaires

@15 Thats right i’m gonna wah wah wah my ass all the way to GameStop and pick up that $55 used copy. FUCK YOU KONAMI and FUCK YOU KOJIMA. And if any other dev wants to pull this stunt again I’ll make sure my money doesn’t go to you either. You make the game for me to enjoy not for you and the game just won’t be the same without David Hayter.

@16 Fine with me and with it the destruction of this industry. Somebody is going to lose and it ain’t gonna be me. You don’t see me losing my job every 4 to 6 months but I sure as damn see tons of lay offs in the game industry. Don’t give the consumer what they want prepare to lose industry.

If I really wanted to be nasty I’d just start hacking and pirating shit.

#19 1 year ago
  20. abbe

Wait, why shouldn’t we ask them and why shouldn’t they listen?
    So if you are at a screening/playtest session of a game and they have Mickey Mouse as the voice for Sam Fisher/Garrett and everyone is walking with their ears you should just let it go and say: “Hey its your vision, you rock!”?

Sure, extreme example, but the point is that if there is something you don’t like, should you just keep with the flow and sit in the back of the bus? (another extreme example)

Even if there wont be a change, we still have a voice and a right to opinion, bugger off with your bullying tactics. Maybe it wont help this time, but maybe some other dev with a similar choice of change will see and maybe respects the fanbase’s wishes and expectations.

Sitting down and shutting up have never solved anything.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

You all make valid points, but shouldn’t a developer have a right to change a certain aspect of a franchise because they created/owned it but shouldn’t us fans comment on it, because we will put down $60/£40.00 and expect to enjoy every aspect of it. I wouldn’t say fans are entitled, but more of expecting a certain standard from a established franchise.

#21 1 year ago
  22. HaMmOdY

@THEEVILAIRES if everyone is going to buy it used, how are you going to find it used ?! :-D

On topic, this is just like inFamous 2…. Sooner or later people will get over it.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Vice

Signed.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Quarles

I will amend what Legendaryboss said and say that essentially none of you have made ANY valid points. And nor will you, which is worse.

This petition is fucking awesome — no one should even need to explain why — so stop trying to ridicule it, as if it’s somehow fucking beneath all of you to care about a video game. I mean look at the website you’re registered to.

Video games are not made for the producers. Books are not written for their publishers, or even their authors. These things are produced for people who play them and read them. That is why they exist, and any producer who is so confident as to not listen to the people who are going to play their games is no longer doing their job correctly.

And I’ll say to TheWulf well just fucking sign the thing if you feel that way about it — Stephen Russell is part of the lore of the originals! Help put some back in, man!

THIEF is NOT Deus Ex. They are so different: THIEF is infinitely more difficult to reproduce than Deus Ex. There are so many subtleties to the atmosphere, character, dialogue, tropes, continuity — basically everything is nuanced. I know that. Fans of the series know that. Thus we know more than Eidos Montreal seems to. (Hence the petition, maybe!?!?).

CycloneFox do you think that there would be a petition if that was the case? Probably fucking not, okay?

Legendaryboss I’ll respond to you now: Looking Glass Studios created Garrett and the old, good Eidos published it. Eidos Montreal didn’t exist then, and as far as many reasonable fans are concerned, as well as myself, they are on their way to destroying their antecedent’s work. So, no, they do not have the right to destroy the essence of a video game that is not theirs, and which they are only the caretakers of for reasons beyond me. That is why there is a petition, and that is why, as you may have guessed, I’ve signed it.

All of you should sign it and do something useful.

#24 1 year ago