Metro: Last Light Survival Guide video is the first in a series

Tuesday, 9th April 2013 14:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Metro: Last Light has a new video available which is the first in a three-part series, in which viewers are taught how to survive. Get the first below. Metro: Last Light releases May 14 in Northern America and May 17 in Europe.

1. YoungZer0

Oooohhhh yeeeaaaahh.

Love the weather effects and the overall gameplay. Looks like this and Last of Us might become the best games of the year.

For me at least, especially after the disappointing Bioshock Infinite.

#1 1 year ago
  2. silkvg247

Played first for an hour, was bored senseless. Did I miss something?

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

You missed a lot. If you’re looking for an extremely immersive experience with a generally interesting setting, a touch of melancholy only eastern countries can pull off and a mature storytelling, this is it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Samoan Spider

@Silk yeah you missed a hell of a game. Its slow to start, but I played on Ranger-Easy but I’ve never played a game like it where I feel in peril at every single moment. That might not sound like fun but caring about every single bullet you fire brings a new dimension to a game like this and I can’t stress how rewarding it is to progress.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

Not really. THe game is a linear shooter with a horrible plot that can be completed in 6ish hours. I really wish they had just made it an open world game because that plot was horrendous and then the VA was even worse.

I will probably get this game but only when its on steam sale for 20$. The game play and environment are solid for the original but the voice acting, linear areas, and plot just sap all the fun of the game. From what I have seen in the videos it seems to continue to do the same thing in the sequel.

#5 1 year ago
  6. silkvg247

Trouble is games (or films or books) just don’t scare me, so if it’s all about atmosphere and survival I am literally sat there bored to tears.

@3 If it had a good story it would have pulled me in. My priority #1 in a game is story. I don’t actually recall there being one. People in a tunnel. Bad guys. Oooh scary.

@4 It’s not my cup of tea then really. I prefer to be the hunter rather than the hunted.

#6 1 year ago
  7. deathm00n

@5 Why being linear is so bad? The first game is so much better than other shooters out there. It is full of tension and survival. The history isn’t great? What did you want? There isn’t means to live in the surface anymore, they can barely live in the underground, the story need to focus on something that might seen simple but is of extreme importance to their world.

#7 1 year ago
  8. YoungZer0

Nobody said anything about scary. But if atmosphere and survival is not for you, avoid it. Because this is what the game is all about.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@5 It wasn’t that linear when I played it. It has corridors to drive progression but I’d liken the bigger areas to Crysis 2. Multiple approaches, hidden paths, tackle it how you see fit. I played for three hours and was no where near the mid-point, so I dispute that it’s six hours in total straight off the bat.

I think the game is superb, but that must make me bribed or something right? ;)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Phoenixblight

If a game is going to be linear it has to have a story or plot to make me go through it. THis game did not. What made me go though it was the gameplay at one point I just turned the voices down because they were just breaking the immersion.

THats you but I had beaten it in 6.5 hours. THe game doesn’t give you a reason to look through the environment and when you do go out in the open you are limited by how many air filters you have so you are forced to hurry up and get to the next area otherwise you die.

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

@9: Oh, yeah you could tackle the game in different ways. I think the sneaky path is the most rewarding experience. Especially when you’re in the tunnels were the reds fight against the nazis.

And exploration was indeed rewarded with better ammo/money and higher chances of getting the good ending.

@10: If immersion is so important to you, why didn’t you play it in russian? With some english subtitles if you don’t speak the language.

“THe game doesn’t give you a reason to look through the environment”

Erm, yes it does: More filter, more time. More bullets/money, better weapons and equipment that suit your playstyle. That mindset alone leads me to believe that you missed a huge chunk of the game here.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Edo

@10 “THe game doesn’t give you a reason to look through the environment and when you do go out in the open you are limited by how many air filters you have so you are forced to hurry up and get to the next area otherwise you die.”
    So much contradiction there it hurts my brain…really,I think Dave needs to do another round of “You’ll playing it wrong” just for this guy.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Phoenixblight

If you are out in the open you are limited by filters so you are limited on where you can go especially with the creatures going after you.

I was able to get the silent body armor and get a silent pistol which is all I needed for the playthrough and money or bullets were practically useless when I had beaten the game I had a lot of clean bullets that I couldn’t find a use for other than killing monsters. /shrug

“f immersion is so important to you, why didn’t you play it in russian? With some english subtitles if you don’t speak the language.”

Because I don’t care for russian language either. I just turned the voice volume down and put on subtitles.

#13 1 year ago