Thief will have “no competitive multiplayer,” says Eidos

Thursday, 4th April 2013 14:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Thief will not contain competitive multiplayer, according to Eidos.

Speaking with Eurogamer during a preview event, Thief may eventually contain some sort of online element by the time it’s finished, but it won’t be multiplayer.

“Right now, let’s say competitive multiplayer, like the example you just gave us – Tomb Raider – there is no plan for that,” said producer Stephane Roy. “We are looking to see if there is maybe a challenge mode with some online component, but I’m going to be very honest with you – our main goal with this team is to give you the best single-player experience, just to bring back this franchise, to convince you we’re part of the future and not something holding onto the past.

“It’s really demanding, so I don’t want to see my team wasting any energy… I want to see them focusing on that.”

Roy said some sort of challenge mode “could be interesting,” with an online component, but “no competitive multiplayer, single-player is asking a lot of energy.”

Thief is due out for PC, PS4 and other next-gen systems in 2014.

1. Lengendaryboss

No need to tack it on Right?

2. unacomn

I approve this decision. Tomb Raider style multiplayer for a Thief game would be a horrible idea.
    Were they to make a multiplayer mode, it would probably work best as a spin-off, with a variation of the same idea The Ship/AC:Brotherhood has.

3. xxJPRACERxx

Good!

4. ps3fanboy

just focus on the sp for this one… is a smart move.

5. Samoan Spider

All I can say is, phew.

6. CPC_RedDawn

Ok, what about coop?

I still only want a thief game that is 100% single player! Focus on that!

7. Mineral4r7s

Well the contracts mode to hitman is very good so… I see no problem here.

8. YoungZer0

A challenge mode with scores and stuff would be very interesting indeed.

9. TheSuave

Maybe like one of those Splinter Cell Co-ops would be great, or even like Hitman Absolutions contracts. But anything else would ruin the game in some sense.