Kojima explains why Hayter is not in Metal Gear Solid 5

Friday, 29th March 2013 17:41 GMT By Phil Owen

Wednesday we learned that David Hayter, longtime voice actor for Solid Snake and Big Boss, will not be back for Metal Gear Solid 5. GameTrailers asked Hideo Kojima how that could be, and he gave them an answer. “It will be a new person, I can’t say who yet. What we’re trying to accomplish is to recreate the Metal Gear series. It’s a new type of Metal Gear game, and we want to have this reflected in the voice actor as well.”

1. Lengendaryboss

I will just wait for the David Hayter fans to come and bitch about the voice of Snake being replaced :)
    Anyway i partly admire Hideo Kojima having the balls to drop David Hayter but the least you could have done was tell him, not ignore him that is rude. As for recreating MGS don’t go too far, we have seen the backlash for dropping David Hayter. I want the long cutscenes and stealth to remain and freshing up the franchise is vital especially since its very established and convoluted.

2. Dragon246

*Goes off to sign the petition*
    I hope the petition succeeds (it will, 10k is not a big number), but I am skeptical if it will be addressed to.

3. Seraphemz

I dont care who does the voice, as long as the game is great. And the voice actor (as long as he is good) doesnt matter.

4. Clupula

Okay, that’s a bit of a bullshit excuse. If it had been story-related, that would have been fine, but “I want something different” is bullshit.

5. The_Red

What is going on here!? First Sam Fisher and now this? What’s next? Ryan Reynolds taking over Nolan North as Nathan Drake?

6. Max Payne

There was a rumor maybe Kiefer Sutherland is in MGS V .

7. Clupula

@6 – It’s not a rumor. He is in it. But he’s not Snake. He’s the bandaged man in the hospital, who we have all been speculating on. Most likely Grey Fox, but it could be a new character too.

8. POOP CRUSTY

DAMN IT I CAN’T WAIT!!!! I also think that if they don’t know who snake’s voice is going to be yet that Kojima is doing this on purpose so the fan outcry forces Konami to pay Hayter…….Nonetheless, I can’t wait.

9. zinc

So is this some kind of reboot? If their trying to recreate Metal Gear?

10. POOP CRUSTY

Ohhh…. Nvm read it wrong….. Still have hope

11. POOP CRUSTY

No Zinc. If it was a reboot it wouldn’t be called. MGSV

12. Kopite

Don’t really care that Hayter’s gone but if the Japanese VA is the same then this is a stupid excuse.

13. POOP CRUSTY

The fact that it is still the same shows that it’s all about money

14. Lengendaryboss

@9 They are refreshing/refining the series for longtime fans/newcomers they don’t want it to become stale (E.G. COD/Assassin’s Creed)

15. Lengendaryboss

@13 I don’t think so considering how much money Konami sunk into a New Studio, New Engine and two games, i don’t think they would cheapen out on voice actor.

16. Clupula

I wonder if Kojima finally got the chance to get Kurt Russell to do the voice and that’s what the change is about.

17. POOP CRUSTY

@15 I’m not saying they don’t have the money. I’m saying that Hayter wants more than what they’re willing to give. If it was really going to be “something new”. Snake’s JP voice would also change. Unless I see a big name actor or voice overist(yeah made up word). I’m sticking with money issue.

18. Lengendaryboss

@17 You expect me to believe a guy that has worked on the Snake’s voice for over a decade, payed for actors out of his own money to come back for The Twin Snakes decides to get greedy now? I don’t buy it something is up.

19. Clupula

Honestly, I think Kojima doesn’t care as much about the Japanese voices.

20. Lengendaryboss

@19 Slightly ironic.

21. POOP CRUSTY

@18 In that case I’m confused!
    Maybe he’s trolling like ge did with PP.

22. POOP CRUSTY

He*

23. Eddie Rodrigues

@2 If people like me, who want DH as “Snaig”, are making a petition then hell yea I’m going to sign that too.

24. Lengendaryboss

@23 who the hell is “snaig” a new hero i haven’t heard of :)

25. YoungZer0

If they keep the same voiceactor for the Japanese Version, then we have the ultimate proof that Hideo is full of shit.

26. Lengendaryboss

@YoungZer0 You know he could just be trolling like usual.

27. Dragon246

@26,
    You have to say, it would truly said if Hayter leaves though. Although I am sure he saw this coming A LONG TIME AGO.

2 proofs of that-
    1. He conducted a poll asking people how would they feel if he isn’t a part of MGS anymore, and he directed that to Kojima.
    2. An even bigger thing, something many here wouldn’t know, but in the latest DLC of MGS revengence, there is a award for finishing all 30 odd missions- a sword with commentary from Solid Snake. That thing is a Japan exclusive, so they even cut out Hayter from MGR from a role is counterpart in Japan played.

28. Eddie Rodrigues

@24 Not sure if irony

ANYWHO that is how some people (/v/) call Snake if anyone is wondering. High probability you aren’t.

29. GwynbleiddiuM

There we go again, Kojima can’t be honest even if his life depended on it. He said I’m going to explain why, and he says something more confusing than everything he showed so far.

30. penniman

I think its a good idea. Just somebody that sounds somewhat similar to hayter :)

31. dotfaust

This… This is just another one of kojimas tricks! The whole phantom pain act was just a ruse to draw attention away from this! David Hayter is totally in on this and still gonna be in the game!… I’m in denial.

32. Consolero788

I can only think of 2 reasons:

- Richard Doyle is gonna do the voice, since Snake is slowly becoming the Big Boss we know from the old Metal Gear games

OR ( you heard it here first):

- They already cast an actor for the Metal Gear movie, so they’re gonna use him in future games to sell more games / tickets

33. YoungZer0

Yep, he’s keeping the japanese voiceactor:

So yeah, he’s full of shit.

34. xxJPRACERxx

Hayters gonna hayte…

35. HauntaVirus

I got a good laugh out of that! Good on ya.

36. Protoman11

With the fact the Japanese voice actor will reprise the role, that phony excuse just lost Konami & Kojima a sale.

37. Beta

This a piss poor excuse. And as pointed out, they’re keeping the Japanese VA. Why don’t you tell us the real reason Kojima? Petition signed by well over 4000 people now.

38. Dimaco

Oh well, excuse or not, let’s see what Kojima comes up with… after all, as long as it keeps the quality level, that’s fine with me.
    Peace! ;-)

39. JayVoDaKing

Letting the truth be told,I was discussing this with one of my best friends.Have all the Fans and Non-believers,forgot that it is a big issue in breaking attachments in gaming or movies.Kojima has changed the direction of the game and story,due to the lack of interest of gaming.I think he did the right thing.People have to grow up some day and adapt to shit in these times ,he is giving you something fresh.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Hellhound30x

Yeah? Fuck you Kojima! I could handle you changing the voice actor of MGS if he had also changed the actor in Japan. Then I would totally get it, and be okay with it. I just wont buy the fucking game. I wont support it. I’ll support gamestop.
    And before some people start crying over my decisions, I am the type of guy who will buy ONE console for just ONE GAME!
    Bayonetta 2 comes out! Guess what? I BUY A WII U! I have no interest in the WII U, but I love Bayonetta, and I’m a fan. Thats the kind of guy I am.
    You want to cry over how I spend my money? DO it! You want to cry over my opinions? Do it!
    At the end of the day Kojima has already ruined MGS for alot of Hardcore fans!
    Kojima + David Hayter =Metal gear… remove one of these two, and its no longer MGS…
    Fuck him!

#40 1 year ago
  41. Lengendaryboss

@40 Your still going on? Dude i am a long-time MGS fan and even i am not bitching this much, your making MGS fans look like COD fanboys.

#41 1 year ago
  42. lexph3re

Interesting… And here I though I was a hardcore fan of metal gear for the metal gear story. Didn’t know it was because of a Voice Actor.

Seriously though, I don’t mind this decision at all. I do love Hayters portrayl of Snakes voice. But it isn’t a deal breaker if he doesn’t do it anymore after this. I still have all my earlier titles voiced by Hayter and they are still great no matter what.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Hellhound30x

@#41Lengendaryboss some people are more hardcore than others. “making MGS fans look bad?” So I suppose I should just lay down and accept what ever the gaming industry throws at me. How else as am I supposed to voice my opinion? With one comment? as if that would do anything. I have literally spammed this message on every single game site. I’ve twittered about it. Why? Because its really going to ruin my favorite franchise. Heck I became a hardcore gamer because of MGS…
    Maybe I should just quit gaming and look for another hobby….

#43 1 year ago
  44. Lengendaryboss

@43 I am willing to accept change, i am all for people voicing their opinion. But when you continually do so (Spamming) it just gets annoying, send deaths threats, keep doing petitions or twitt Kojima/Konami/MGS facebook page to death (That way you get your voice heard). One change is not going to ruin our favourite franchise, Its open world, its still has stealth, long cutscenes and convoluted story, lets at least hear the voice actor see if hes good or not. Your acting as if Snake is dead, he isn’t yet. “Maybe i should quit gaming and look for another hobby”, why don’t you take up gardening and get angry when someone replaces the leaves/flowers you love so much :) or football get angry when someone replaces the ball you love :)

Bottomline quit your bitching, I also got into gaming thanks to MGS and GTA, do you see spamming the same thing, twitting, petitions and making videos. Why? because that requires too much time, too much effort and too be honest i have an actual life to focus on instead of moaning about David Hayter’s exclusion.

#44 1 year ago
  45. zinc

^ er… I think it’d be more sensible if he kept complaining on the internet, rather than sending deaththreats o_O

#45 1 year ago
  46. Lengendaryboss

@Zinc Ok maybe death threats is too far, but there is a limit to voicing your opinion. I voiced mine just once he could have it done over 100 times :) that equals annoying.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Hellhound30x

@#46Lengendaryboss “i have an actual life to focus on instead of moaning about David Hayter’s exclusion.” Yet here you are…. oh teh irony!
    I’ve posted once on every thread, and to you thats me with no life? I’ve made one 8 minute video and thats too much time to voice your opinion?
    hmmmm….
    It might not ruin it for you, but MGS will forever be ruined for me. Imagine that, two different opinions?
    That being said, its just not MGS… its Silent Hill, Its Halo, its Splinter Cell, its Devil May Cry, its Final Fantasy… they’ve all changed and not for the better (in most cases). Everything is trying to cater to the call of duty come late-lies… Most these franchises are losing their identity…
    This is why I’m seriously contemplating moving onto another hobby…
    Maybe I’ll pick up drawing again…

#47 1 year ago
  48. Phoenixblight

“Ok maybe death threats is too far…”

Maybe? THis is why I can’t agree with you on any posts you have made.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Hellhound30x

oh and about the “death threats” thing… Thats waaaay over board. I’m cool with people stating their opinions, even if I don’t agree. I’m even cool with them being passionate about it through their delivery, but death threats is waaaay to far past the line for me. Its just time to move on….

#49 1 year ago
  50. Clupula

Enjoy your drawing.

#50 1 year ago
  51. Lengendaryboss

@48 Whether you agree with me or not is not my problem, or on any of my posts i have made still not my problem. I don’t care if people disagree with me as long as they state a reason, i will usually respect it.

@47/49 Well it has happened before, people that did take part it in has no soul and i was just suggesting it. Whether or not it happens is the fault of those people not me. I am not moaning about David Hayter’s Exclusion though i am and whether i am here or not doesn’t impact my life, seperate things. I am saying you just fixating on this too much. You do have have a point about the franchises, and i would be sad to see MGS join that list.

@Clupula Exactly.

@Dragon Yeah that GZ Gameplay seems more interesting than crawling to escape from what looks like Volgin, The Boss’s horse and the Mantis.

#51 1 year ago
  52. Clupula

@51 – I just find it annoying that he pulls the “I’m a bigger fan than you are” card when people call him out on his overkill.

#52 1 year ago
  53. Dragon246

Off topic (not on VAs), but is anyone else here thinking this hospital trailer is nothing compared to the original GZ gameplay video (which rocked)?
    Btw, my excitement for this has been reignited :D Also signed the petition, since having Hayter back one last time as Big Boss would be fitting (since this game will most probably end Big Boss saga).

#53 1 year ago
  54. Hellhound30x

This video is for you guys! (=

#54 1 year ago
  55. Lengendaryboss

@54 I admire your persistence and dedication, but i don’t hate David Hayter in fact i love the roles he has played as Big Boss and Solid Snake, he is an iconic voice and has classic lines no one else can pull off “Kept you waiting ah” or his classic groans but i am not going to through this again.

#55 1 year ago