Battlefield 4: the first trailer is in, watch it here

Wednesday, 27th March 2013 05:22 GMT By Staff

Here it is, guys; your first look at the next-generation almost incredibly shiny but apparently current generation Battlefield, fresh from GDC.

Steph was in attendance at the shooter’s debut, which included a live gameplay demonstration. You can read her Battlefield 4 impressions here and check out a recorded demo below.

A publicly accessible press release puts Battlefield 4 down for a northern autumn launch, and a pre-order link offers it on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. According to Polygon, and Polygon alone, a PS4 version has been confirmed, too.

1. mkotechno

So, again script action -> boring aim and kill -> script action…

No impressive game mechanics, no impressive graphics, whats the point of all the hype? I’m very dissapointed and sad.

2. Mercu

And there it goes… another game that pass over Wii U.
    I’m starting to regret myself about buying this bullshit.

3. Nerdgazm

Everything was impressive except for that cut the leg part. Pretty cheezy.

4. jowadmax

Guys why complaining? What I see is a stunning masterpiece in graphics and technology. And the story is not that bad, at least from what I saw in the 17 mins. It’s better than some of the crappy movies we see nowadays! idk what did you expect? A whole new gender emerging through this game? Or a guy carrying a camera through a real city to get convinced with the graphics?

I personally think it’s impressive and worth praising.

5. YoungZer0

Looks really good. Glad that the story seems to revolve around you and your squad again, like in Bad Company 2. Barely remember any of the characters from BF3. The destruction seems to open up a few opportunities too, something I was completely missing in BF3. And it looks like the game has some team mechanics, so that’s good too.

Wonder if you’re gonna play as a russian again, but I highly doubt it.

Gotta admit the chopper rotor blade scene was pretty intense.

6. mkotechno

#4 Yeah, maybe the story is not bad, but I definetively not going to pay 60$ to see the other 22 minutes.

7. YoungZer0

@6: Nope, you probably pay 60$ for the multiplayer.

8. Francis O

It looks like every other shooter…. I’m just not into these shooting, western focused games.

The graphics are good though.

9. BrahManDude

umm time to buy a pc imagine multiplayer

10. ActionGameKing

Why is no-one commenting on the open-nature of the single player? Vehicles and destructible environments are now in single player! That’s a HUGE step-forward from the restrictions of BF3 campaign!

11. fearmonkey

Wow is the game beautiful, very impressed.

12. gomersoul

why are people harping on about innovation for next gen? what is everyone expecting? being able to pull the trigger with your penis?! this game looks awesome with obvious choices on how to kill enemies is present… it has to be scripted to tell you a story, the major changes next gen will come in multiplayer. how innovative does shooting guys get? stop whining and come up with your own ideas

13. ActionGameKing

@12 I don’t get the complaints either. Next-Gen has been around for a while if you take a moment to look at PC gaming.

14. powerbuoy

@1 – I too prefer dynamic gameplay over scripted events. Not many devs seem to agree though.

@5 – Agree about BF3′s story. Let’s hope this one’s better.

@10 – Yea I noticed that too :) Seems promising!

I was definitely hoping for more gameplay improvements though. To me it looked too much like BF3 with somewhat prettier graphics. Are there any devs besides Rockstar that focus on physics (Euphoria) and fun gameplay? I guess I’ll never get to dynamically blow an enemies limbs away. Well, perhaps in Max Payne 4.

15. The_Red

I guess I’m in the minority here but the graphics looked underwhelming. After visual masterpieces like Witcher 2 and Crysis 3 on PC, I was expecting a whole lot more.

Stale gameplay plus slightly better graphics are NOT the way to go. At least last gen we had the graphical leap. This time around, both graphics and gameplay in AAA games have disappointed me.

16. ActionGameKing

@16 That’s a fair assessment. I expect the first year or 2 of “next gen” to be full of very beautiful but average games. I think Destiny could be a game-changer though, that one looks different.

17. Erthazus

PC footage. Pretty much dissapointed. It looks great, but not as big of a leap. well, ok then, it’s still going to be good. They are trying to not go any further with a crappy Next gen hardware.

18. The_Red

There’s just one problem: Even as PC footage it wasn’t anything special. PC can do MUCH more than this in terms of graphics. When the gameplay is this generic and by-the-numbers, the graphics need to be a WHOLE LOT better than an slightly upgraded BF3.

19. Erthazus

I’m more dissapointed that DICE took Call Of Duty story approach with Evil Russians, now Chinese… with crappy linear corridors but with real time explosions, better particles and of course destruction.

It looks like a Call Of duty game but a bit better. That is not what I want from them.

20. roadkill

What the f**k is wrong with you you deepshits? How was that anything but unfuckingbelievable!? You fucking sad trolls, get the f**k out of here and crawl back under your rocks you pathetic losers!

21. Erthazus

@20, I saw that on my PC in 2011. Nothing spectacular for me. It was spectacular in 2011.

I’m a huge fan of BF series, but here I don’t see a big of a leap. I can’t see how DICE can surprise me.

22. manamana

Bonnie Tyler was the only surprise here.

23. Hcw87

Show me a game that looks better than this. You guys are talking out of your ass.

Oh and don’t try to bullshit me with ”Crysis 1 looks better”, because that’ll just make you look dumb.

24. Dave Cook

@20 because it looked visually impressive but seemed to have no gameplay innovation whatsoever. Same shit, better visuals. But I remain optimistic as always. I’m sure it will be superb.

25. Dave Cook

@23 visuals aren’t everything.

26. Erthazus

” but seemed to have no gameplay innovation whatsoever. Same shit”

you just described Call Of duty since 2003 year.

27. Hcw87

Ofcourse not, i’m just responding to the people whining about the graphics is all. It’s like they have to whine about everything no matter what.

28. Dave Cook

@26 I know I have just described Call of Duty as well. And? They’re both guilty of it.

29. Dave Cook

@27 Yeah it gets me down too man. Never a good thing to say eh? :(

30. monkeygourmet

This looks very, very boring and generic.

Graphically amazing, but it was like watching paint dry… Same scripted corridor rubbish over and over again.

Mindyou the single player portion of BF3 was god awful too, sometimes a ‘shiny’ game makes people forget it plays like a turkey.

Multiplayer is hopefully better, saying that, I always liked Bad Company over Battlefield anyway so I’ll have to wait and see.

31. nielsthomas1

I was bored the entire video, that is how “unfuckingbelievable” (in #20s words) it was.

It wasn’t even graphically amazing, just more grey and brown with pretty lights thrown in.

As for gameplay, what gameplay? It was just one giant setpiece in which for more then half the time nothing happened/you weren’t even in control of your character. It’s actually just one large cutscene with press LMB to shoot and press E to open doors. That’s it.

But so long as people buy it…

32. G1GAHURTZ

BEEN THERE

33. G1GAHURTZ

DONE THAT

34. Samoan Spider

Looks good to me. It’s on my list. Not near the top, but its there. I only just recently finished MoH:Warfighter and contrary to popular belief, I didn’t find it shit and really enjoyed it. I am certain this will be fun, but when it comes to MP, I’m out. I just don’t have it in me any more to play nice with the current generation of shouty-screamy kids that play these games.
    Its certainly a good looking game. What amazes me is how many people saying that the graphics don’t look that great blah blah blah. Let me get this straight, you’re judging a Youtube video on its graphical fidelity? Yeah, I’ll leave you with that thought.

35. YoungZer0

Can we please stop with this ‘Innovation’ bullshit?

Most of you who cry out that word will buy the new Call of Duty, like every other year.

As @10 pointed out, the gameplay seems to be much more open. You killing the enemy, hijacking their vehicle, using the MG to get the advantage, telling your mates to put some suppressing fire on the enemy so you can flank them.

What if the enemy didn’t see you? Maybe they would’ve just rolled past your characters?

There is variety, it’s just not the one you’re looking for. What, were you hoping you use rails to escape a handyman? This is still a military shooter.

The only thing I blame them for is sticking to the american side. I loved the parts in BF3 were I could play as the Russian. You could see a different approach to tactics, morals and so on and so forth. That is worth exploring, but we’ll never see it again. Not from a big publisher.

The suits want to make money. Biggest buyer is america, therefore: American Hero.

Think about it, how much more different the whole game would be if the ENTIRE game is played from the russian side? We could see the ‘enemy’ and how he thinks about the war, that’s interesting, that’s different.

It would completely stand out on the market.

36. G1GAHURTZ

…the gameplay seems to be much more open.

Are

You killing the enemy,

we

hijacking their vehicle,

still

using the MG to get the advantage,

in

2006!!??

37. Erthazus

Oh look, Call Of Duty fanboy came in to the Battlefield topic.

38. G1GAHURTZ

You must be talking about yourself, Mr ’500 hours in one summer’ Erthazus.

39. Gadzooks!

Boring linear ultra-serious rubbish. Just like CoD.

40. YoungZer0

I didn’t say it was unique, new or special, but a step up from the previous game. And it still has more variety than a Call of Duty game.

41. G1GAHURTZ

You said the gameplay looked “much more open”

Which is complete gibberish.

There was nothing very “open” about any of those, either.

42. YoungZer0

“You said the gameplay looked “much more open””

Yeah, I know what I said.

“I must have done every single part of the entire 17 minute section in at least THREE different games before.”

And this game combines them all, isn’t that grand?! O:

43. Samoan Spider

@41 So are you saying you wouldn’t have fun doing them in this game? That’s the point. There are very few entirely fresh things, what we don’t know is the context or what leads up to and follows each of the things you’ve seen so I can’t see how, if you’re a gamer, you couldn’t enjoy it? I don’t mean the harshly. If you don’t like this kind of game, you don’t buy it. If you do, you will. Its as simple as that. Unless they really fuck it up, I can’t see how they can go wrong.

44. G1GAHURTZ

That’s the problem with SP.

It never changes. It’s always the same old thing, over and over again.

When I play an SP campaign (which is very rarely), I usually play through it at least twice. Once on normal, and once on the hardest setting, to get the achievements. Then, maybe on the easiest, to get the collectables.

I usually get a good 20 or so hours out of it, overall.

After that, I rarely touch it again, if ever.

So, for me, playing the 17 minutes (which seems to have disappeared from the site) that they showed would be like going back to the levels that I left behind years ago.

Seriously…

Race to the top of a building to rendezvous with a chopper, only for the entire building to come down at the last moment???

Do you realise how many times I’ve done that in another game!? (Whose name I shall not mention here.)

It’s getting like a broken record.

As a gamer, I don’t just want devs to say ‘Hey, remember what you’ve done before? Well, we can do it much better than developer x!’

I want them to do their own stuff.

You know, be original.

Game does look pretty, though…

45. Fin

That’s def next-gen.

Anyone know what Rihanna song that is. Luv Rihanna. Her latest album is unreal.

46. Fin

Just watched some of the 17 minutes. It’s reeeeally scripted (which was my issue with BF3 SP). Not enthused.

47. roadkill

@24 “Same shit, better visuals. But I remain optimistic as always. I’m sure it will be superb.” Yup you’re definitely optimistic..

48. Moonwalker1982

Has BF4 been confirmed for next-gen consoles at all? Cause if not…i will not buy it for my 360 or PS3, because the way it’s going to ruin this game is just unimaginable. The ending of the video cleverly says nothing about platforms but if a launch next-gen console game is going to perform and look like this…sign me the fuck up right now.

From start to finish those graphics are insane and it seems to contain no QTE so far which is a really good thing. Far too many times the controller was snatched away from the player in BF3′s campaign. It seems to handle the cinematic bits better as well.