Destiny was almost a modern day fantasy game, says Bungie

Monday, 18th March 2013 14:48 GMT By Dave Cook

Destiny developer Bungie had a long hard think about where and when its online shooter was going to be set before it rested on a future sci-fi settings. The studio has explained that it could have been very different indeed.

Speaking with OXM, Bungie’s writer and design director Joseph Staten said, “We thought of a good handful of other genres as well. We’ve had a pretty long pre-production period and we explored everything from straight-up fantasy to something a little bit more modern to many, many other things as well.”

“Ultimately we gravitated towards this mix of science fiction and fantasy because it gave us this freedom. You saw small things like the prevalence of cloth in the game, a lot of characters have capes or cloaks and the combatants have cloth as well.

“Fantasy brings us this texture that we can wrap around sci-fi, which is really appealing, especially if you’re an artist who’s just been stuck making straight up space armour for ten years. A bit of cloth is very refreshing.”

It’s really strange to try and envision Destiny as some kind of fantasy-based Skyrim with guns RPG but then again that’s almost what Borderlands is.

What do you think of Bungie’s setting for Destiny? Let us know below, and be sure to check out the official Destiny reveal trailer here.

1. TheWulf

It’s clear that they have absolutely no idea what they want to do with this, and that’s a shame. Halo had next to no plot — and I’m sorry, no, extended continuity in novels doesn’t count. If you can’t present a great story for your games (see Obsidian), then you shouldn’t even begin to call them anything other than a rampage of mindless violence.

Some games do that. Saints Row: The Third did that. At least those games were honest about it. This though clearly is another Bungie game with no plot. I’m actually glad they didn’t try to do anything too close to an RPG, because they simply don’t understand what it takes to make a well written RPG. (With the paradigm shifting plot, memorable characters, and choice & consequence that that implies.)

Once again it’s the super-troped story of how an EBIL EMPIRE is threatening the tiny rebellion of GUD. And am I ever sick and tired of that story. It’s not hard to actually put together a sci-fi Universe that has some depth. Halo had the depth of a wet piece of tissue paper, hence my absolute lack of interest. And it seems like this is more of the same.

It seems like actually having something decently written in a game is becoming an ever lower priority. But still… EBIL EMPIRE versus GUD REBELLION again? AGAIN again?

:I

#1 1 year ago
  2. foofly

Snore… yet another sci-fi. I would of liked a modern day setting. At least it would of been different and people could relate to it.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Gheritt White

@1: Bungie don’t know how to plot, eh? You’ve clearly never played Marathon. Or Myth. Or even Pathways Into Darkness.

#3 1 year ago
  4. zinc

@1, Calm down dear, the Evil Empire versus The Good Rebellion has been a staple of cultural storytelling since before the Illiad.

It’s a good solid core which Bungie can attach various branching storylines & faction quests.

I’m intrigued by this, you could say I like the cut of its cloth :-)

#4 1 year ago
  5. Francis O

Modern day fantasy? I would have like that instead of a shooter. But oh well, thats what the PS3 and Xbox 360 fans eat up…. shooters.

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

Modern Day Fantasy sounds fantastic. How many Modern Day Fantasy games are there?

Destiny looks as uninspired as it gets.

#6 1 year ago
  7. zinc

Er, they never talked about modern day fantasy… The quote is “we talked about straight up fantasy, to something a little bit more modern”.

But, of the top or my head, I’d suggest Persona, if modern day fantasy is something your after. It’s the usual Japanese RPG guff, set in a modern day highschool.

#7 1 year ago
  8. YoungZer0

I know and love Persona. I just think we have very few Modern Fantasy games, especially in the west. The only one that comes to my mind right now is Vampire: Bloodlines.

#8 1 year ago
  9. zinc

@8, It is a underused genre that’s for sure. If you like reading Modern Day Fantasy I highly recommend the Dreden books by Jim Butcher.

Pulpy, noirish tales of a gumshoe wizard in seedy modern day Chicago. Very good :-D

#9 1 year ago
  10. YoungZer0

Yeah, The Dresden Files, I know. I read some of the comic books and even a few episodes of the series. Didn’t click, went back to Hellblazer.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Sadismek

Now that would’ve more interesting than what they have now. A lot more interesting. Sigh @ the wasted potential.

#11 1 year ago
  12. polygem

not the slightest doubt- this game will be mindblowing

#12 1 year ago