Deep Down: Ono explains why Capcom is making a new IP for PS4

Friday, 1st March 2013 12:19 GMT By Dave Cook

During Sony’s PS4 announcement last week, Yoshinori Ono took to the stage and presented a trailer for Capcom’s debut game on the platform, a rather-lovely looking project codenamed ‘Deep Down’. Ono has now explained why Capcom has focused on a new IP for PS4, rather than making a next-gen sequel.

Speaking with MCV, Ono explained that Capcom went for a new IP like Deep Down because it didn’t want to be restricted by the lofty expectations of other IP like Street Fighter or Resident Evil.

Ono said, “We wanted to be free to utilise the PS4′s hardware capabilities and unique services without the constraints of working within an existing IP. Of course, the development experience we gain will put us in an even better position to bring our existing series to the console in a way that takes full advantage of its hardware and services.”

If you missed the Deep Down trailer, you can check it out here. It’s a great visual showcase for PS4.

1. SameeR_Fisher

So not a Dragon Dogma sequel as you predicted Dave :D ?!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 I know, my dreams are crushed :’(

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

So Deep Down is not exclusive to PS4 or?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Deacon

I can’t stop thinking about a Dark Souls / Dragon’s Dogma hybrid. Full co-op. I really hope that’s how this turns out! That’s a system seller right there.

#4 1 year ago
  5. No_PUDding

Yeah next gen Dragons Dogma would be a dream come true.

It’s seriously a superb game – only bad thing is the UI and maybe sketchy production values and pacing. The story itself is VERY sound – I’d go as far as to say I love it.

#5 1 year ago
  6. melonbuster1

It is dragons dogma 2. Relax. . When they give it a name you will see. Capcom isn’t known for jumping out the window and starting a new ip when they can really get paid with dd2

#6 1 year ago
  7. Mike W

If that was in game, this will be the last set of consoles I purchase. :)

We don’t need games to get much better than that.

#7 1 year ago
  8. CPC_RedDawn

What I want to know is if that trailer shown was ALL in game footage. Because I think there was a few tricks used to make everyone believe it was all in game.

When the character were around the first that looked like CGI and I found it very hard to believe that’s in game. It looked as if they just photo shopped in a few icons at the bottom corner of the screen to make it look in game. Certain parts looked in game as half way through the trailer the graphics and the textures took a nose dive in detail.

Still cant wait to see how this game evolves and to see what it ultimately becomes.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SplatteredHouse

@8 http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/6u0va9/the-depths-episode-5–going-deeper
    A 30 min show that looks at that trailer in a very high depth, discusses how it was created, techniques used, and essentially seeks to “decrypt” what was shown and explain the Deep Down trailer.

#9 1 year ago
  10. kaffikjelen

@8 GameTrailers did a good analysis of the trailer, revealing certain graphical flaws, indicating that it is indeed in-game.
    @9 Beat me to it…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Moonwalker1982

So it’s a new PS4 IP or is there a big chance it’ll come to new Xbox as well?

#11 1 year ago
  12. DrDamn

I had assumed it was partly pre-rendered too – the inclusion of a very basic hud looked a bit suspicious. Some of the stuff looked plausible though. The comment from the article is interesting though …

“He has also stated that PS 4 is developer friendly, enabling Capcom to create its Deep down trailer in a relatively short space of time.”

Very interesting.

One other vaguely related point … “Ono explained that Capcom went for a new IP like Deep Down because it didn’t want to be restricted by the lofty expectations of other IP like Street Fighter or Resident Evil.”

Exactly why I think Nintendo should do more IP not relying on their existing IP. I can see why they do what they do financially, but think what one of their top teams could do unshackled.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Fethennour

Mr Ono ? Mr Ono ! I have a question for you : will Capcom ever make a new Onimusha game ?

#13 1 year ago
  14. Max Payne

Maybe its new IP but it will be spiritual sequel to Dragon Dogma ( double D deep down) like demon’s Souls / Dark Souls.

#14 1 year ago
  15. WENDiGO

@7 Don’t underestimate the power of graphics just yet! Who knows how far it can go ._.

#15 1 year ago
  16. MadFingerz

Yeah, I would say it was using the game’s engine (as opposed to CGI) but I don’t think it was gameplay footage. They probably just used the engine to make a cutscene that looked like gameplay. It has been done before.

#16 1 year ago
  17. manamana

I would love to believe that but since Aliens CM I’m somewhat conservative …

#17 1 year ago