Cyberpunk 2077 NPCs may talk in multiple languages, understandable via translator implant

Friday, 1st March 2013 11:55 GMT By Dave Cook

Cyberpunk 2077 developer CD Projekt RED has discussed the possibility of having NPCs talking in their own, original languages, made clearer by your character’s translator implant. It’s just a possibility at this stage, but the studio is considering it.

In an interview with dubscore.pl, CD Projekt RED’s Sebastian Stepien said, “Decisions are not yet made, but we are thinking about some kind of system which could tell more about the game world.

“The idea is to record everything in its original language. If there are, for example, Mexicans in the game, they will speak with slang. All performed by Mexican actors. Then a player could try a translating implant, and according to its level, he will get better or worse translation.”

The idea of multiple languages could add significant depth to Cyberpunk 2077′s world, and raise some interesting translator mechanics.

Would you like to see this happen? Let us know below.

Thanks PC Gamer.

1. KrazyKraut

why not? i liked the idea in FF10 when you couldnt understand the Al Bhed language, but when you progressed (or found all stone tables or what it was) you learned it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. CyberMarco

Reminds me of FF:X, trying to find those dictionaries to understand Al Bhed language.

@1 You beat me! :p

#2 1 year ago
  3. Gnosis

Awesome. Can’t wait for this game.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Mineral4r7s

Yes! I so want this. YES! Not everyone speaking the same fucking language. YES.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Tavarish

What 1 to 4 said before me, I’m all for this. Could be really nice addition to the game and add own level of immersion.

Always annoyed me slightly that English is language that all species, races, cultures and galaxies use as primary language no matter what game. Tho there has been gems like Crysis 1 with option to have enemies speak Korean.

#5 1 year ago
  6. SplatteredHouse

Sounds great. I’d like to see them follow this through!

#6 1 year ago
  7. MadFingerz

“Then a player could try a translating implant, and according to its level, he will get better or worse translation”

I’m impressed, these guys seems to be knowing what they are doing. Generally in movies and other games, when characters actually speak something other than english and the main character uses a translator, he/she always gets a perfect translation, which is totally unrealistic.

It’s really cool to see when a group of developers care so much about depth that they even think about these “little” things.

#7 1 year ago
  8. CyberMarco

I would really like to hear some Greek, maybe Italian too. Let’s see how this turn out.

#8 1 year ago
  9. sh4dow

This sounds like a great idea!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Telepathic.Geometry

I love this idea. Even if they implemented it simply, it would pay off. If they go to full nine, it could have an effect like Ico had back in the day…

#10 1 year ago