Metro: Last Light fundamentally the same on all formats, says THQ

Tuesday, 11th December 2012 17:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Metro: Last Light will fundamentally be the same on PC and Xbox 360, according to THQ’s head of global communications Huw Beynon.

Speaking with OXM, Beynon said the gameplay, dynamic lighting, physics and A.I will all be the same.

“We’ve obviously been showing it to you on PC all driven through an Xbox controller, but there’s absolutely no gameplay difference between platforms,” he said. “You have an, essentially, identical gameplay experience.

“There are obviously things we can do on PC, just because this is a studio where you give them a hardware limit and they’ll expand to fill it and push it – higher resolution, slighter higher frame rate at that resolution, a few fancier lighting and graphical effects, whatever we can eke out of the very latest generation of graphics cards for PC.

“But all the fundamentals – dynamic lighting, physics and A.I. – everything that has a material impact on the game is identical across platforms.”

Beynon said the game’s “interiors make it one of the better looking games on Xbox 360,” and the team made “massive improvements” to the engine in terms of how the outdoor environments were treated.

An in-game trailer for Metro Last Light was released today. The game is due in March 2013, on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. SameeR_Fisher

Xbox 260 ?!, did Microsoft release their new console already and it is before the Xbox360 :D ?!

In all seriousness though, what about the freakin PS3 version ?!, will it be a very bad port with alot of tearing and bugs ?!

2. deathm00n

Yeah, people forget us poor PS3 users. “OMG, I bought a videogame man!” “Cool, when are we going to play your Xbox360?” this happens a lot to me :(

I’m interested in Metro Last Light, but if it’s inferior in the PS3 then goodbye THQ, I’m sorry I can’t help you in these hard times…

3. Jerykk

I love how he’s trying to undersell the PC advantages. “Slightly higher framerate?” Unless the PC version is horribly optimized, it will run at more than double the framerate of the console versions. The difference between 30 and 60+ FPS is not slight at all.

4. Maximum Payne

^^ Yea I guess they want to say is ”console versions look much worse but you buy game for gameplay.. ” :D

5. dirigiblebill

Hi Steph. Any chance you could update the OXM link?

I went mental and deleted the original article, somehow. This is the exciting sequel.

6. Stephany Nunneley

@5 :D No problem! I hope your mental issues have subsided. ;)

7. SameeR_Fisher

@2: agree there, I get upset whenever a developer port a game from X360 to PS3, cause it ends up being total shit, Bayonetta for example had tons of trouble on the PS3.

while porting a game from PS3 to X360 never cause troubles on X360 as far as I know.

8. Erthazus

No one is porting XBOX 360 version to PS3.

This is a PC game with Xbox 360 and PS3 port. It’s only Sony’s part that their crappy hardware can’t do much better because of their crappy CPU and GPU combo.

9. NiceFellow

As someone who played the original on PC he’s doing a great job putting me off bothering with the sequel. I guess he is talking to OXM so he’s hardly going to be pimping PC but still… unless they’re flat out not bothering on PC (and he hints they are) there should be pretty big differences if they’re really using the PC capabilities to the max. This is sounding like a console title given a resolution hike only on PC with the core game gimped to console specs.

I guess I could just buy it on 360 but I prefer K&M for FPS.

10. Maximum Payne

^^ http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,852240/Metro-Last-Light-PC-aims-for-the-technology-throne-Developer-talks-about-DirectX-11-Tessellation-GPU-Physx-und-Co/News/

11. NiceFellow

@10 thanks. Well a fair bit of what they boast about in that article ain’t going be on 360 or PS3 so I guess they were trying to pimp 360 version more due to the interview source.

I really liked the original and would welcome more of the same (but better)

12. fearmonkey

Metro:2033 is so much better with the PC version that the console version. Yes it plays roughly the same, but the experience is better on the PC. With a decent video card, its still one of the best looking pc games I have ever played. Right now if you go to http://thq.me/g0mRB
    you can get a free steam copy if you like their facebook page.
    it was also part of the humble bundle which you could get for a meager $1.

13. roadkill

“Metro: Last Light fundamentally the same on all formats, says THQ” Sure it will! :D

14. TheDarkWeapon

I will get this beautiful game on PC for sure. Thank you THQ.