Duke Nukem voice actor hates guns, GTA’s ‘gratuitous’ violence

Thursday, 1st November 2012 11:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Duke Nukem voice actor Jon St. Jon has spoken out against the depiction of guns in games, gun violence in the real world and his distaste of the gratuitous violence found in games like Grand Theft Auto.

The man who once said “It’s time to kick ass and chew bubblegum…and I’m all out of gum”, was interviewed in the latest edition of the Unlimited Hyperbole podcast. Yes, I’m aware the quote was originally said by Rowdy Roddy Piper in They Live, by the way.

On the matter of gun violence in games and in reality, the actor said, “I don’t care for guns in general. It bothers me in this country how free we are to bear arms. They say ‘Guns don’t kill people, people kill people’ – well, no, I think people with guns kill people. Quite frankly I’d like to see stronger gun laws in this country.”

He continued, “So, you know, shooting and killing in games…Hell, I don’t even like hunting. Shooting deer or whatever? Unless they’re shooting it to survive and they use every part of the animal…the thought of killing just to kill just disturbs me.”

“I like flying, racing, driving games more than first person shooters,” he concluded, “And gratuitous violence, like Grand Theft Auto? Not into those kind of games at all.”

What’s your take on guns in games and the depiction of violence? Speak your brains below.

Thanks Unlimited Hyperbole.

1. CyberMarco

But still he decided to voice that character despite his moral feelings… Yeah, i forgot, money!

2. roadkill

@1 Yup..

3. viralshag

Maybe they didn’t tell him what the voice work was for…

To be honest, the VA of Duke Nukem could be done with a soundboard.

4. Dave Cook

At least Morgan Freeman got it when he auditioned for the role. But he kept getting the character name wrong.

5. viralshag

@Dave, That’s awesome.

6. heyvc

hahahahahahahhahah very good Dave. hahahahahhahahaha

7. Dave Cook

Dick Dukem..oh he acts like a dick?…there’s no…story behind it…he’s’ just a duke?

8. ignoreLander

“It bothers me in this country how free we are to bear arms”

Wow that is…. very frightening. Very…. Frightening….

9. TMRNetShark

Morgan Freeman Trololololol…

I bet he was enjoying every moment annoying that VA director. XD

10. livewired500

I’m cleaning my Sig right now.

11. jayc4life

Kinda funny coming from the guy who voices both Duke Nukem and John Dudebro, both parodies of modern-day shooters.

Still, dude’s gotta get paid I guess. I mean, if Nolan North hated guns and the portrayal of gun violence in games, he’d probably be homeless right now.