Halo 4 devs speak out against sexist abuse over Xbox Live

Wednesday, 31st October 2012 09:35 GMT By Dave Cook

Halo 4 executive producer Kiki Wolfkill and 343 head Bonnie Ross have spoken out on the issue of sexist abuse over Xbox Live, and has reassured fans that Microsoft currently does everything in its power to stop tirades and ban offenders.

Speaking with Gamespot, Ross said, “I’ve seen many of the sites that have documented some of the more gender-specific slanderous comments. This is behaviour that is offensive and completely unacceptable. I’d like to think most of our Xbox Live players don’t support this kind of behaviour.”

Wolfkill added, “It can be dangerous to give adolescents a broadcast mechanism. There are always going to be jerks out there, and if you give them a way to express that side of their personality without being seen, you’re going to see this type of behaviour manifest itself.”

The subject of gender was a conscious one throughout Halo 4′s development Ross revealed, revealing that the studio mulled over which characters would be male and female throughout the campaign, and to question their own decisions along the way.

Ross concluded, “Most people look at a franchise like Halo, and automatically assume it’s run by a guy. People are surprised to learn that it’s a woman who’s running the Halo 4 show. When Microsoft created 343 Industries to take over Halo, I was given first choice to run the studio because I had proven myself. My gender played no part in it.”

What’s your take on the abuse doled out to Xbox Live players – male or female? Should further action be taken to ban or report individuals? What could be done? Let us know below.

1. nikk900

One of the reasons I don’t like xbox live, is the community of mostly immature idiots who think it’s funny to say sexist/racist/stereotypical comments.

2. G1GAHURTZ

It’s not “mostly”.

They are in the minority.

It’s just that they’re loud, and in the more popular games, so they obviously stand out more. In MP games that I’ve played on XBL, the majority of people don’t even use a mic.

3. nikk900

It is “mostly” in my experience, I’m afraid.

4. G1GAHURTZ

Took a survey, did you?

5. roadkill

And that’s one of the reasons why I’m playing only on the PC. We can talk about anything with each other and no loser will go hiding behind his mommy’s skirt crying because someone hurt his feelings in an online game.

6. Dave Cook

@5 idiotic.

7. nikk900

Why would I take a survey? I am saying in my experience, a lot of people are abusive for no reason on xbox live. I’m not quoting statistics or anything. Just saying in my experience. What is your problem?

8. Gadzooks!

It’s the same on all online services, apart from Nintys. Some of the worst abuse I’ve heard was in MAG. The worst, by a million miles, is in MMO’s. WoW in particular.

It’s nice and easy to mute people though, at least on XBL it is.

9. OrbitMonkey

Kiki hit the nail on the head when talking about adolescent’s with a broadcast device. Though in all fairness there’s plenty of older jerks too, god knows I & my mates have dished it out too peeps we didn’t like.

P.S. Kiki Wolfkill? AWESOME!!

10. G1GAHURTZ

@7:

I don’t have a problem, but I strongly disagree that “most” people on XBL are the sort of scum that you described.

It’s easy to see how you can get that perception, because all it takes is one bad apple to spoil the bunch.

Do they exist? certainly. But “most”? I think that’s going a bit too far.

11. nikk900

@10 But you can’t seem to comprehend that I am saying – IN MY EXPERIENCE! As in, when I play. I can only speak for myself and friends of mine, that have to put up with little boys making pathetic comments.

Girls always have a harder time playing online on any service, like #8 said, but IN MY EXPERIENCE xbox live is the worst!

12. G1GAHURTZ

Your initial comment made a blanket claim.

You said “most”. Without restriction.

That’s what I responded to.

Nothing else.

13. KrazyKraut

i remember when someone asked me for my steam name in a game, “Its Princess_Peachy” I wrote…the next thing I read and heard was “FAP” and “orgy”.

14. roadkill

@6 You can just ignore them you know. That’s what I do in most of the cases. I only troll or fight back other trolls when they’re hurting my team, not me. Still, I enjoy it most of the time.

@13 LOL!! You see? How is that offensive? I find it funny. :D

15. FeaturePreacher

The only way to solve this is to delegate oversight to outside entities and allow them to control membership into their group and punishment for violation of rules that they set.

16. polygem

in gaming you will even get taunted if your nickname is polyGEM. it´s enough….it´s not manly enough. it´s sad really.
    @1: i think what you desrcibe is just the internet in general. i mean, i hear you and if it´s your experience with live than that´s how it is for you.
    i personally had my worst online experience playing uncharted online. the most agressive, offensive, rascsit AND sexist bullshit i probably heard in my life…and in my job i hear a lot of stuff you don´t wanna hear,trust me.

“Where the sexist side comes into play, well thats classic schoolground taunting. Find a perceived weakness & target it. The only way to lessen it, is to have more teachers in the yard.”
    yep. that is it. i agree Orbit.

i also think you should not accept someone talking shit in a game. call them out. argue with them. don´t get on the same level though. at least tell them to shut up. if it´s really bad, report to ms. what can you do. i don´t use that Rep system much myself though. it´s not really working, it´s easy to abuse it. my rep is around 50/50 and i am pretty polite online and do not chat that much. if people lose some games against you they start to call you a cheater and give you bad rep.

i always report offensive overly sexist or nazi GT´s though…