Dragon Age 3 concept art hints at new features

Sunday, 21st October 2012 22:44 GMT By Brenna Hillier

These few pieces of concept art tie in nicely with the first Dragon Age 3: Inquisition gameplay details released over the weekend.

BioWare promised to release this small collection of art at the Edmonton Comic & Entertainment Expo, but apparently got so carried away by the hometown event that it ended up spilling quite a few new bits of information.

Check out the art below while you ponder the news: player-owned castles and larger environments.

Of course, this is only concept art; Dragon Age 3: Inquisition issn’t expected until late 2013.

1. deadstoned

Concept arts not that amazing :-/ . Star Wars the Old Republic, Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 weren’t great, not sure we can trust Bioware anymore. They need to go more hardcore in the graphics department defiantly. ME3 and DA2 look really dated alongside Witcher 2.

2. Dark

@1 I agree , but let’s give them one more chance and wait for the gameplay!

3. Erthazus

When it comes to RPG games I don’t care about graphics.

But Bioware are slackers. DAO 2 looked worse then the first game but this time they re using FROSTBYTE 2.

Why? Why for F sake?

Make a better game. Look at the CD Projekt Red. They made fantastic game and on top of that created beautiful engine that was suited for that game not to mention about visuals.

I’m not interested in Castles and other “gimmicks”. I just want good R P G with good rpg elements, with decent combat and customization system. How about decent dialog system that is not from Mass Effect?
    How about a decent loot system? Decent crafting system? How about giant cities full of quests and interesting guilds? How about exploration with secrets and chests? What about interesting story that is not about crappy orcs or dragons that we need to kill in the end?

4. Phoenixblight

THey are using Frostbyte 2 because EA invested in it to be a in-house engine so they don’t have to throw money at making engine for every game in house. It makes logical sense. You will be seeing a lot more of this trend. Konami is already doing and so is Ubisoft.

5. Night Hunter

@3: Well, you could argue that a castle is a way to really flesh out an RPG experience, especially if it’s party based. I for one was very pleased that they added a stronghold to Project Eternity. A homebase can be a very interesting way to give a player feedback about himself and his companions and also give him a sense of accomplishment. Although it is a JRPG I would really like to point to the Suikoden series in this regard.

I do understand your point, though. Do I really want BioWare to implement a castle if I can’t even really trust them with the basic game.

6. Levester

always misread this contributor’s last name as Hitler. good times.

7. Malmer

@3, @4 – Frostbite. Not Frostbyte.

8. roadkill

These concept art!? Thumbs up! :) Also I’m happy that Bioware will use Frostbite. It’s almost as good as the RED engine.