Mass Effect 4 star: ‘we don’t want Shepard 2′ – BioWare

Friday, 19th October 2012 09:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Mass Effect 4 – or whatever the next Mass Effect will be called – will star a hero that is not just a re-hash of Commander Shepard, BioWare Montreal has revealed to VG247. Find out the studio’s philosophy to crafting the next star of the franchise below.

Speaking with VG247 at a recent EA showcase, BioWare Montreal producer Fabrice Condominas agreed that the studio has never shied away from the fact that Mass Effect will continue after the current trilogy, but with a new hero.

We asked him what the studio’s approach to whatever comes next in the galaxy-hopping franchise will involve, to which Condominas replied, “There is one thing we are absolutely sure of – there will be no more Shepard, and the trilogy is over.”

“This is really our starting point. Now the Mass Effect universe is vast, and very, very rich. So at this point in time, we don’t even know what kind of time frame we’re going to be in. All we’re doing is more gathering ideas from the teams, gathering feedback to see several things.”

“So first, we don’t want to make ‘Shepard 2′, or Mass Effect 4 with like, ‘oh there’s no more Shepard but you’re a soldier in the universe’. So this will be a very, very different context for sure, and nothing has been decided on the rest.”

Who do you think is big enough to step into Shepard’s space suit? Maybe you’d like a brand new character who hasn’t been seen before? Let us know what you think below.

Meanwhile, BioWare’s next expansion for Mass Effect 3, the Omega expansion, has been priced and dated by the studio. get all the details here:

1. Sylrissa

I would be interested in seeing them choose a non-human main character this time and really exploring things that the Mass effect trilogy didn’t.

2. Hirmetrium

It would be great to play the game from the perspective of say, a Turian or Asari – hell, they could even pull a “Dragon Age” and have different origin stories. That would work out quite well. A Krogan, from the renovated/devestated world of Tuchanga (affected by your ME3 choice) who starts to look for his fortune…

They really could go miles with this sort of stuff. It would do a lot to recover my faith in the ME series.

EDIT: And maybe not call it Mass Effect? That would be great – set in the same universe, but distanced somehow. Almost like COD and Modern Warfare titles.

3. SplatteredHouse

I’d rather they give us a character in this universe, rather than just a template. Actually connect my character, integrate it. I often felt like an unanchored boat on a river, in ME trilogy. Explore the mundane, with the hi-octane. The world is different, it’s new. That can be a huge advantage, for player, and studio.

4. davidkenobi

Mass Effect = Shepard. I just want to play with one of my favorite character. End of story ^^

5. AmiralPatate

I agree with Hirmetrium, a “Dragon Age” thingy is definitely something I’d like to see. But as far as influence of the ME trilogy go, I think they should go far enough in the future so decisions made don’t have a significant impact.

6. Sylrissa

That would be nice to see, but who knows what direction they’ll end up going with for this universe.

7. Ireland Michael

Go back to the time of the Protheans and do a story centred around the time of their downfall at the hands of the Reapers. If that was a trilogy, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

8. Jorge

Gimme Protheans! It would be super nice to follow up their fall in another trilogy ♥

9. viralshag

I would really like to see a game based on the First Contact War, where they play from both Turian and Human sides, Halo style.

10. Jor Kaleen

I want it so we can import our save from previous games. It will affect the game, and also, I want to be able to choose race, and every character to be able to be different.

11. GwynbleiddiuM

@3 It is very sad to see that you consider a character like the Grey Warden (Dragon Age: Origin) as just a template.

12. friendlydave

@10 In less it’s a game that’s based During the time period of mass effect 1-3 I can’t see them using your save. The endings are to different to allow that.

I agree with a Prothean era game!

13. Bomba Luigi

Prothean Era? So, I would fight the Reapers again, and I would know, that I fail, even bevor I start the Game… that really would be boring as Hell.

14. friendlydave

It doesn’t have to be when the Prothean’s where at war with the Reapers, It could be before!! It could be from the view of an’adopted’ Prothean, showing the true Protheans dark side ect.. There’s loads.

15. viralshag

@13, I’m with you on that one. Plus from most of what we know, it would really only be Protheans that we deal with too.

I would like to see something move away completely from the reapers. Maybe even something along the lines of the Krogan Uprising. There’s some really interesting intergalactic politics and past conflicts they could exploit to make a really interesting game.

I would have no problem playing an ME game where we didn’t have any, or at least very few humans at all. All the races are decent to me, Krogan, Salarian, Turian, Batarian, Geth, Quarian… Asari not as much.

16. 2nd horseman

I think it should be about one of the older races that fought the reapers that we don’t know anything about, such as the race that caused the great Rift Valley on Klendagon. http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Klendagon. It could be said that this powerful race fought the reapers but were losing so they left the Milky Way galaxy and would someday return. But when they return which could take place after ME3, another race of aliens followed them from one of the other galaxies and began waging war. A waring alien race that laid siege to many other galaxies so this caused the aliens who left the Milky Way to flee back to their original galaxy cause it had not yet been conquered by the waring alien race!?

17. 2nd horseman

Andd it could be said that the Aliens from the Milky Way that left and come back seen this new waring race as more formidable than the reapers and wanted to lure them back to the Milky Way during the time of a reaping so that the reapers and waring race would destroy eachother, only to find the reapers had been destroyed and the Milky Way is threatened once again but now by the waring race.

18. Bomba Luigi

The Problem really is that there has to be a lot to shoot. Thats something we have to Face because thats the Way it goes. Parts like the over one Hour Walkaround on the Citadel without using your Gun when we got the First Time on the Citadel in ME1 is not really something that seems very possible. ME got far, far away from a Direction like that.
    So they have to make a lot to shoot, because its a shooter first. Not particular the Reapers, but doing a lot of Stuff without the Gun is just so unlikeley. I can be terrible Wrong with this, but I really dont have a good Feeling about any future ME-Games.

19. SplatteredHouse

@11: I’ve not said anything about the Dragon Age Grey Warden character, the character in Origins.
    I, in fact, think of that one higher than “Shepard”. He/She has a place in the Dragon Age saga. At the start of the first game, he is in a place of wealth, with his family, and their hounds.
    His life is interrupted, he’s rescued, and starts anew. (That’s no template, and there’s an amount of the surrounding world established, early on.)

Shepard on the other hand, is like a bungling surgeon, prodding and poking at seams, trying to tear the ME Universe to his own wish, but is often forcibly, and notably, kept separate at arms length from it.

In DA:O, there was no time that I was pulled from the game by an inflexibility of writing. With Mass Effect, there were several occasions this took place in the trilogy. I found Shepard, and the lazer-focus on him, to be amongst the few shortcomings in that series. So, I am happy that Bioware will both try something different, and plan a return to this franchise, already.

20. SplatteredHouse

“So they have to make a lot to shoot, because its a shooter first.”
    First of all, I groan at that. What a low bar to target.

So, not another Shepard, but another shooter. Well, wouldn’t that be a change! ;) It’s only fun in that world to oppose, and damage…? That’s really constraining creativity, (to my taste putting a stranglehold on it) if they just make another war. I reckon you can well have opposition without just ramping the scale, continually. Mass Effect has many stories to tell.

21. chasslez

@13: Two words, bud: Halo REACH. Most everybody at the time knew that REACH fell early on in the timeline, yet dare I say millions of people loved it.

@15: Prothean, to my understanding, was less of a race and more of a title. To quote Javik: “… In time, all races called themselves ‘Prothean’”. You would still have the diversity of the original trilogy.

And honestly, I think it’d be cool to have a post-trilogy world, where you import your save and play the game based on your final decision. Downside would be that if ME2/3 was on two discs, imagine three different games.

22. boot20

I’d love to see a new character or to be able to play Garrus or pick my own race ala DA:O.

To be honest though:

A) I’d love to see a Universal Combat game done right. You can fly your ship, pop out and engage in ground combat.

B) A Privateer flavored game. You are a merc doing your own thing in your own way. Sure there is a story, but there are missions and you can do the story at your leisure.

C) No more Shepard. His story is done. Please let us pick something new….also, bring back Drew to flesh out his world even more.

Lovey you Bioware!

23. lordbyro

“No more Shepard and the trilogy is over”.

What they’re saying exactly with all this discourse? I mean… We should understand the term “trilogy” something like… the complete content of three episodes? In this case, it will be sufficient Bioware to say they will do a new game. Nothing more!

It is not necessary they makes references to a supposed “Mass Effect Universe” because, based on their declarations, a future new game will have nothing in common.

I think Bioware doesn’t manage to be clear/ sincere.

Ps. I miss Shepard so much.

24. Omelette

What I think will be super nice is that the next ME game will most probably be next gen, and that means there will be a lot of available memory and processing power to open up interaction in the game. I don’t want to shoot all the fkg time, I want to interact in other ways than with my gun or my mouth in this universe. I want to do all kind of nice things like drinking at the bar and such. Also, I want more planet exploration like in the first mass effect. I want to visit more barracks, houses, etc. The planet scanning was lame imo. I want to do more missions on spaceships, etc.

Plus, I didn’t really like Shepard and the story around him. “He’s the only hope, and blah blah blah blah.” I mean, come on. The mighty human. The one without whom the world is over. I’m glad we’re done with him. And I’m glad we’re done with the reapers.

25. LuLshuck

Can we have a game where you can play as a spectre and none of this end of the world bullshit

26. aimei11

sewjhrtj

27. Gelde3001

Its quite simple – and what they SHOULD have done at the end of me3…..JOKER, he should have come to pick up the mantle left by shepard when shot by the beam. That was the end of shepard, or should have been. Imagine him and EVE (another ai of course) being the ones to carry on to the protal.

Its a shame they completly destroyed that trilogy with one bad, or at least rushed and silly idea. So once again I say Joker, upgraded leg supports with eve etc etc etc…..btw I wrote my own me3 ending which is around the above. As a fan I had to do so after reaching the end choice and making my choice to shut the game down rather than any of the pointless and quite stupid 3 on offer, so no I have not technically completed it, but did enjoy the last installment of sheppard up to that point.

Would have preffered my end but how many of you out there have your own endings already ?

28. a.moukal

I feel as though a story line based on a few years following the ending of mass effect 3 would be exciting. We could see how all of the various races came together to help rebuild the galaxy. Idk just seems like it would be nice to know how things pan out a few years after shepard save the galaxys ass and all. Plus if you chose to destroy all synthetics ending and got the chest breathing end maybe we could somehow run onto our old Shepard player. Idk just an idea :)

29. stainless steel

NO NO NO some of these people just don’t get itthe mass effect games show humanities effect on the universes so having any other race as the main character is just doomed from the the start. But yeah there are a lot of good here like being able to import your me3 witch everyone wants to see. I’ve came up with some of my on ideas if you import your ME3 game you’ll here about how the krogan are ether spreading to new worlds and helping rebuild after the war or you’ll hear about how they are hardly seen do to the genophage where way they’re still those that hold hatred toward the rest of the races so you’ll fight panty of them and the racni if you saved them in the first one and the theed one you see them on some missions or hear about how the queen was contacted by the council , you or the reapers depending on if you became a reaper died or lived; to become the new keepers since the cidedel blew up

If any of y’all out there like my ideas I’ll add some more or if y’all diss agree please let me know

30. Deronic

i dont belive this. we get a shitty ending of mass effect 3 and now sheperd is just going to vanish, i will buy a mass effect 4 if it comes but i dont think i can enjoy it like i did with mass effect 1,2 and 3.
    when i started to play this game i really loved it and the best of the game just got destroyd in the ending off mass effect 3,that you where able to choose you destiny,
    you can choose to refuse the star child and keep on fighting but then humanity just gets wipe out cuz the reapers are probebly invinseble, BUT THEY ARE NOT!!! even since the start off mass effect they said that we can`t defeat the reapers but still sheperd defeated them in every kind off way.
    if theres going to be a mass effect 4 i will buy and hope that they do the same thing they did with the trilogy, its just sad that a good trilogy go to waste only becuse of the 15 min ending in mass effect 3

31. SaturnFX

With all due respect to those wanting non-human races for ME.
    ME is a story about humanity and its evolution into the galactic community..not about the salarians, or the asari. Its our perspective.

So, no..I personally would feel the game went from serious space drama to fluffy monsters in space crap that cheapens the whole series.

As far as where to go from here. Chances are they will canonise the red ending (pretty much assumed by most fans after the end of 3) and move on from there. Thats really the only pathway left open for future storys.
    I would bet a dollar this is what will happen. I am fine with that. Will be nice to see how many geth made it through the destruction

They will have to also offically declare other aspects..such as krogan fertility, quarian numbers and if they are back on Rannoch, etc..again, fine with all this.
    I am only worried that they may be thinking of a prequil..which in my opinon would -suck!!!- compared to where they could go.

I want more complexity, modifiable, and open..turn the 40 hour game into 200 hours (see skyrim’s sandbox)

32. SaturnFX

The only reason for a ME3 save game import would be for purposes of backstory resolutions
    aka, if you nerfed the research and shot mordin, it speaks of how some other salarian a few years later came along and resolved the genophage,or how even though you let the quarians die in favor of the geth, a couple years later, some geth came across a few thousand quarians and made peace, etc. basically to unscrew what you screwed up to official line things. This is the only viable use of a save game import..and would probably be little more than a beginning cartoon slider like in ME2 to catch you up.

Really looking forward to hearing more. Bioware is still aces in my book. For all their sins, they still remain kings of character development.

Now..if bioware and bethesda got together…
    gamers nirvana.

33. OrbitMonkey

eh, just rehash the same old story 100 years in the future with different aliens to have lesbo sex with.

34. Kim A

This is just “greate”.

How can they just kill a char like shep?
    I agree that it should be a way to keep on going with the savefile.
    I dont agree with ME 4 without shep.

This is because my understanding and many mores, is that Mass Effect universe is about shep. And they say that they can change the name og the next game? Well, thats also not a good idea, the concept would be the same, just with another name. Still gonna remind us of shep.

Its unbelievable how they treat their fans after getting a lot of money to play around with. Businesses like this should get a law, or a very very short leash.

For all fans, we should realy just boikott the whole firm, both of them, EA and BW.

As far as i understand is that a firm that makes game should be realy carefull with what they do. It is the fans that support them, feed them, give them a job. Why do they play with our feelings like this.

I have been broken up inside by this for months now, crying, confusion, wanting. Someone got to put them i someonce A”#!

And for the guys that wondring, yes i am a blood fan of game. And the number one is Mass Effect 1,2,3. I havent been more disappointed over a games ending then ME 3, and how BW/EA manage how they make game and think they are goods.

35. DarkElfa

Now we see the truth of EA’s Bioware purchase, just crap out more sequels of famous IP’s.

36. viktorbane

They really should think about going open world. it’s a momentous undertaking but since there is no immediate threat to the galaxy. just imagine if you could create your own merc gang or join the alliance or be turian or asari. imagine the possibilities.

37. carl22swe

I want to play as an Asari end of story :D

38. Sami1001

I hope the game will somehow link to ending you chose in ME3, and in red ending shepard would live!

39. Eddie Rodrigues

@38 I don’t think it will be a sequel, might be what SotC and Dark Souls were: spiritual successors. Although SotC happens before ICO, so I hope the next ME is something quite like this.

40. jogamamasita

No no no no no I don’t want a new character I want sheperd i got to far to start all over playing in the prothen era will suck so bad I will throow the disc out of my window the reapers are gone but what about thier creator ? Bioware

41. jogamamasita

Bioware will have to work hard and replace sheperd for the blue and the green endings but for those who see Shepard breath at the end should get to play another time with sheperd and no prequals only sequals

42. Phoenixblight

They won’t be continuing with Sheperd nor are they going to make a separate game for those that got the “secret” ending. THats what this article talks about, they will be starting from scratch in the same universe.

43. jogamamasita

Well I hope i won’t be disappointed

44. fearmonkey

What #1 and #2 said – To be able to play a non human and have its own origin story would be awesome!

What #9 said – First contact war would be a good choice.

What #7 said – Playing in a previous war with the reapers would be nice, though it would end depressingly. Maybe be the prothean from ME 3 and tell his story.

If I had my wish, it would definitely be dragon age influenced with multiple characters choices and not all humans. I would love to play a turian or Asari, or even a prior wiped out race. The world has alot of rich and varied history, id love to see that further explored but a bit more open world. Think Privateer or freelancer meets Dragon age.

45. kuthy

I don’t think I will play this new mass effect my fav series and character and followers it just wouldn’t feel right playing a different character in a universe I’m soo use to plus the secret ending could invite so much more for Shepard also mass effect has become known for what it is now changing that could really risk everything I’m leaving this one when it comes out

46. EarthAngel

I think it would be good to create our own character again; whether human or non-human wih different attributes. Apart from that I’m looking forward to seeing what we get from this but also though, we don’t want to kill the franchise – I’m not paticularly a sci-fi fan but the mass effect trilogy I found brilliant!

47. someguy

I think that the choice to make a new person from a different race is cool, I would like it to not be called mass effect if they go that route but its not a bad concept. I am still a Shepard fanboy tho. I would be thrilled if they brought them (shepard) back. I mean if halo is gonna bring back master chief why not bring back the commander? But I also know some people are tried of shepard (for whatever reason) so who knows. I just hope the game lives up to the first three games regardless of weither it Mass Effect 4 with Shepard. Or something else but from the same universe.

48. Clupula

The spelling in this thread seems to be worse than usual. It saddens me.

49. CloudJumper

Honestly, I believe that the events of “Mass Effect 4″ should take place around the same time as the events in Mass Effect 1. But I think you should be able to pick a race. Then you could get your own ship and have a story. Similar to how they did Dragon Age 2.

50. dallo1818

The Mass Effect trilogy has opened up a vast world with endless possibilities for future games. However, I believe the creators really shot themselves in the foot with the ending of ME3. Creating another game in the same time period, or even before, gives us the inevitable ending that we choose at the end of ME3. While it is most definitely possible for “Mass Effect 4″ to rewind some and start over again in a different direction, the game looses a good deal of its ability to grasp people by their curiosity and drag them in. Even going back to the protheans, their fate is sealed as well, along with any preceding race. It is such a bummer that Mass Effect 3 determined the fate of a galaxy with so many more possibilities stored away in every system and every planet we probed throughout the trilogy.
    However, there is a possibility for a game set in the “sealed” fate of the future. Possible unknown alien invaders from other galaxies! From what I can recall, and correct me if I’m wrong, no mention is made throughout the trilogy of anything inter-galactical. Everything is isolated to the Milky Way Galaxy. In my opinion, with the way the trilogy ended this would be a fantastic direction/plot for Mass Effect 4, or whatever is would be called.
    But honestly, whichever direction the creators decide to take it, chances are I’m going to buy it and play it again and again. Although some hearts have been broken by the end of this trilogy, the concept of the game is marvelous. It seamlessly reaches out to anyone with in interest in space, technology, war, aliens, planets and much more. Whatever happens, I’m just glad to know there will be more.

51. overlord2486

I like to see continued what happen next when Galatia is change!!! There no need to bee a Shepard or play as shepard but in the game want to see old character no need to bee in the team to know how they been true with out Commander like joker,garrus, grunt or wrex or others.
    Can chose a raise with want play and opportunity to play with old character or new want. Interesting story and different ending. May bee the story will bee different how players ending all mass effect serials most important in mass effect 3 ending will change different story in mass effect 4. I thing maybe if someone have romance in mass effect serial the can play ass Shepard son or daughter.
    Pleases rite me comment what you thing about this thought!!!

52. codyassq

this is just a suggestion..but i think it would be soo sweet if you could choose your race and background, like dragon age. to have multiple options for skills and fightig and dialogue responses. just to experience being a drell, quarian, salarian, ect. who agrees?

53. NinjaHart

Personaly I think it would be awesome to play as Tali in a journey on creating a new home for her race, after all they do live on their fleet.

But I do agree with what @52 said, having the option to choose race. You did have background options in the trilogy tho.

But also having the race limit to what type of weaponary that race is specialized in, you will fight better with people who you make your friends. Having a lot of choiced of people you want to recriut to yout staff as in Star Ocean 1 and 2 or the Suikoden games.

Get special dialogue options and cut scenes for your own race. Which would make for great re-playability to experience different races, get the different cut-scenes and such.

But basically I think this is a genre that BioWare does better than anyone, so I trust them and hope that space traveling won’t seem so empty. Have some pirate attacking randome ships on the space map if they still keep it and stuff like that.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Clupula

@53 – But in some people’s games, she is dead, so to have a game starring her taking place in that time frame would ruin the continuity for some people. A game that takes place previous to ME1, though, that might work.

#54 1 year ago
  55. NinjaHart

@54 They said it themselfs that they don’t know in what time frame the new game will be, so it would be possible to make it before the trilogy.

Also they said that this new game is NOT a part of the trilogy, so the decitions you made in the trilogy have nothing to do with the new one.

#55 1 year ago
  56. Joe_Gamer

It will be a fucking prequel, gods I hate prequels, the…shit…ending makes a sequel too problematic for the newer, lazier, shittier Bioware so only a prequel will do.

Is it too early to ask for a reboot?

Whatever, I don’t care how many aliens the player character gets to bone, I won’t be giving Bioware a cent so they should just keep making more dumbed down casual games for joe-walmart. That ending….well, I’ll restrain my vitriol.

“stop beating a dead horse already”…This “horse” took something that was precious and shit all over it, I will beat this horse until one of us is dust.

/rageface

#56 1 year ago
  57. NinjaHart

@56 While you are still bitching over the ending, I choose to give BioWare credit for making that Extended Cut DLC and giving it for us for free. It proves that they did understand how badly they fucked up, and unlike most, they fixed it.

I’m not gonna judge their new Mass Effect at this point, we hardly know anything about it. Don’t judge something you don’t know.

#57 1 year ago
  58. Bomba Luigi

But will it not be a guy shooting Guns again and talking with People? You can call him a Lawyer, but its still a guy shooting Guns, so its not really a diffrence.

Or you make complete diffrent Gameplay. What is Possible, but I somehow doubt that.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Mjorh

As 57 said , Bioware tried to make up with the DLC n it ain’t fair dissin’em.
    Personally i don’t thing having a protagonist from the characters we know already is a good idea

#59 1 year ago
  60. Joe_Gamer

Guess what buttercup, life aint fair, I’m not so easily bought with some shitty DLC…DLC that fixed fuck all by the way. It’s…It’s not even fixable, to me it is irrevocably broken. I can never again enjoy a game in the Mass Effect universe.

Till one of us is dust Bioware…

Fucking right I’m bitter, I own EVERY game Bioware ever made, from their mechwarrior wannabe debut all the way to up to DA2 where Bioware said “fuck quality, we need some casual shit for EA to sell, copy\paste this shit bitches we got deadlines to meet!”. For fourteen years I bought their games, and now, never again. I know it’s fucking silly to get mad about this shit, but I can’t fucking help it.

#60 1 year ago
  61. zinc

^ Dry your eyes mate, in some alternate universe’s, Bioware wrote the happy ending with Femshep & Liara living happy ever after.

Go read some fan-fiction :-P

#61 1 year ago
  62. Maaa122189

I think the way they need to go is like any other huge RPG. Have a selection of different races, fighting styles, backgrounds, personalities and abilities that allows this new hero to be completely customized. Perhaps a selection of last names as well so the dialogue can flow and you hear your character’s name. Mass Effect already had a leveling system in place and this could be greatly expanded on. Of course, the Renegade and Paragon system should be expanded as well.

Personally, I would like to see more with in-space flight and planet exploration. In ME3 you no longer searched planets for materials, you simply scanned an area and the ‘artifact’ or other asset would appear. I missed scanning for the most concentrated area of materials. I’ve also always wanted to pilot the Normandy in a free-flight space battle, similar to Star Wars: Battlefront II, where you fight other fighters, and attempt to destroy cruisers by either external damage or landing on the cruiser itself and dismantling it from within.

As far as the plot goes, I don’t see why it would be too difficult to continue the story after the Reaper War; it would be almost a post-apocalyptic setting for the galaxy, with this your character could be no more than a citizen that stumbles over a conspiracy of some kind only to find that they have above-average abilities in combat and other areas that most do not. Or maybe an experiment done to test a new generation of implants goes not as expected and spawns your character or the antagonist (or both together), you could then be a rogue that the different governments are trying to capture, giving you a soldier-like experience without ‘being a soldier’.

There’s a million ways to go about it, but the bottom line is that if Shepherd’s story is truly over, then they need to focus on delivering the player an entirely new level of experience that they can get involved in and will continue to carry data on to it’s sequels. It might not be too bad of an idea to put more detail into the landscapes and items too, so you can explore as freely as the Elder Scrolls series but in the Mass Effect Universe.

The possibilities are endless really.

#62 1 year ago
  63. AL13N

Well, as gloomy as I was when Shepard died, all I did was buy ME1, and played it. I beat it, then started a ME2 game, beat that and started an ME3 game. I didn’t really care that it was over. I just like that I can relive it over and over again.

About the new character. I’m kind of glad that the new character won’t be ‘Shepard 2′. What @52 said would be okay to see. If Bioware could pull that off it would be cool. But at the same time, they may make the new charcters quest a personal one. Here’s an example. If you’re a Krogan with no clan. Maybe your characters goal will be to find one. It would be cool to see it. But I don’t think that’s what they’re headed for.

My personal dream characters. Well, I have two dream characters. One, a drell assassin. The other, a quarian. I don’t know why but I’d like to be one of these in the new mass effect.

~ AL13N ~

#63 1 year ago
  64. DeeSnizzy

Let’s be real guys. All we really want is a Garrus spin-off.

#64 1 year ago
  65. Dragonbait

Personally I would like to play as Shepard’s son/daughter (to add a feeling like the romances were actually there for a reason) or at least be someone trying to protect them etc.

I think it would be cool to see them as they grow struggling with being the child of a legendary hero in a new universe without him/her. Helping to rebuild civilization and perhaps relationships with other alien races as the universe struggles to rebuild.

#65 1 year ago
  66. bradk825

Could be a prequel set in the early days of human space exploration before we were accepted into the citadel. I also wouldn’t mind a game with Garrus as the lead character.

Someone suggested something more Dragon Agey where you can select a race and backstory like Origins, this would indeed be awesome. Not just awesome, savagely awesome.

I’d had an idea for a time-is-all-fucked-up storyline before that may or may not be good, lol. I was thinking after the destruction of the mass relays, mankind is not exploring space for hundreds of years. The thing after the credits points to that. But eventually we find plans on Mars showing us how to build our own Mass Relay. After building it, we want our first stop to be the citadel, so we send a detatchment there to settle in and begin preparations to travel and build more relays. We find it already occupied, by assholes.

So we are cut off from earth and we fight these assholes, and they are good but we start to win, and on the cusp of victory, the reapers arrive and we realize two things. We are at the beginning of a reaper harvest, and something was fucked up with our Mass Relay, because it sent us back in time, not just across space. We are before the Protheans even existed.

So we avoid the reapers until we can fix the problem and build a new mass relay in the original location so that when the time comes humans will find it and explore the galaxy, because if not Cmdr Shephard will never defeat the reapers, and then we all die. or something like that…

#66 1 year ago
  67. SpartanSpurs

#65 – That’s exactly what I wanted to happen but I doubt it will, would require too much work on their part :(

#66 – Interesting idea actually. So we’re part of a group of humans sent back in time and it somehow ends up with us needing to help the protheans warn the people of the next cycle.

#67 1 year ago
  68. Moreno19

It

#68 11 months ago
  69. Moreno19

It would be cool to pick your own race and background like codyassq wrote and it wil also be cool if you get to switch to other teammat

#69 11 months ago
  70. Moreno19

It would be cool to pick your own race and background like codyassq wrote and it wil also be cool if you get to switch to other team mates during a fight like gta 5 n just fuk shit up n do solo missions 4 them

#70 11 months ago
  71. Topmanste26

just to say I bum all mass effects like so much av completed each one about 7 times or more, i am a huge fan of the mass effect trilogy, iknow pretty much everything about all 3 of them and all i can say about this is that if bioware don’t put commander shepard into the fourth one then its just a big kick in the nuts to everyone playing, at the end of me3 ( if you have extended cut ) you see shepard right at the end taking a breathe, you cant just leave a game like that and not put him in the sequel/prequel so if am honest i think bioware are full of bull if they say theres no shepard, in my total honest professional opinion i believe theyre just trying to mis lead us all into thinking it wont be shepard. Don’t get me wrong it would be alright if they changed the time and character for the 4th mass effect but it wont be anywhere as near as good because it wont be mass effect…you cant have mass effect without shepard or the reapers. So Bioware/EA if your reading this, don’t take out commander shepard because if you do then youd just be spoiling one of the best games that’s ever been made, plus that would totally change the story line, which aswell is the best storyline av seen on a game or tv in my opinion.

#71 6 months ago
  72. Topmanste26

adding on to what i just said, if it is not commander shepard the how the hell are ya gunna explain where he went, what happened to him? because he doesn’t die in the third one at all even if you’ve seen the extended cut, it is obvious that hes not dead, because if you listen to the catalyst properly he says ‘everything you are well be absorbed’ if you pick to control the reapers of use the 3rd option (sythnesis) and if you choose to destroy the reapers he doesn’t say anything about absorbing but, in all three options, if you listen, the catalyst says nothing about the commander dying and also is it me that only thinks that shepard and the catalyst have a connection between them? i mean he sees him right at the start of me3, then he keeps having dreams about him and the catalyst brings shepard up to wherever he goes, this suggests to me that the catalyst always wanted shepard at that exact place at that exact time ( this has nothing to do with the next game btw ) but in my opinion i believe that shepard and the catalyst is in fact the same person, the main reason why i believe this is also because the catalyst says ‘i made oppertunites, but i cant make them happen’ that’s when shepard says ‘but i can’ the catalyst also said ‘we must do it’ ( or something along those lines ) suggesting there are 1 person

#72 6 months ago
  73. Panthro

I dont have much hope for the ME series really.

They have awkward animations, the characters look like they are made of plastic and are too ‘still’ and lifeless, those dead eyes every character has make me laugh at how bad it makes the characters look and the shooting still feels nerfed and powerless.
    I had to pretty much run through the games using a sniper because every other gun felt like a childs toy.

Fix the gameplay, models and animations and I’m sold even if I was playing shephard going back in time and reliving the events of ME1 through ME3 again since the lore, stories and overall ‘trek’ feel is something I always want to go back and play but then get deterred by those gripes I just listed.

#73 6 months ago
  74. Panthro

I would like a FTL type story, having to travel from one end of the galaxy to the next without Mass Relays to either avoid detection or due to them being destroyed/ shut down while carrying something you and the crew have to protect.

Something different from the ‘I as shephard will end this war’ and more of a insignificant crew hoisted into chaos and having to complete an impossible objective which will only assist in your side of the war (if there is a war) rather than save it completely.

Brb. Gunna’ go and start writing this story. Prepare to see ME sequel credits with my name in them, this is gold.

#74 6 months ago
  75. TheBurner2000

I owuld like to see that all the team members from ME2 and ME3 come back and you will be able have different stories where you switch charcters, that way you could even do multiplayer. and of course you can only choose charachters that you didnt let die ( which in fact did not happen to me in the collector base but has happened to other friends). i would also like to see online multiplayer with different game modes.

#75 5 months ago