Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC releasing early

Tuesday, 9th October 2012 07:22 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Borderlands 2′s first extra class – Gaige the Mechromancer – has been bumped up for an early release.

Originally expected on October 16, the DLC will apparently be available today.

“So – here’s the surprise, Mechromancer for Borderlands 2 is ready about a week earlier than I promised. October 9, all platforms,” Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford said on Twitter.

“Should be available for download on all platforms by the end of the day,” he added.

The Mechromancer DLC is free to those who pre-order Borderlands 2 and will set you back $9.99/£7.99/800 MS Points otherwise.

The class is the first to be offered as DLC, although Gearbox has said others may follow if the idea takes off. Gaige’s skill tree, published in full earlier today, allows for an “easy mode” build or an advanced setup suited to the most expert of players.

1. Talkar

Come on! I’m going to play Dishonored today :(

2. roadkill

“Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC releasing early” Haha! More like “Day 1 DLC releases late”. Seriously! Did anyone really think this wasn’t ready when the game shipped? Come on Gearbox, we’re not idiots! Stop lying to our faces!

3. Talkar

^So i’m guessing you haven’t been following the development process eh?

4. Nakorson

Did you even inform yourself before posting this? The development of the DLC started after the development of the game has been finished. It was always said that the DLC would release 1-2 months after the game releases. The release date of October 16 was already a earlier release date then expected by Gearbox them self.

5. roadkill

@3 Here’s a tip for you: THEY LIED TO YOU!!

@4 And here’s a tip for you too: THEY ALSO LIED TO YOU!! Actually “The release date of October 16 was already a earlier release date then expected by Gearbox them self.” should change my tip to: DOOOH THEY ALSO LIED TO YOU!!

edit: I like you guys! Believing in whatever publishers and developers tell to their customers. So sweet! :)

6. Nakorson

Arguments become more true if you write them in CAPS…. and if you don’t support them with any facts and sources.

7. JackTheFaux

@5 It’s so cute when people like you pretend to know what they’re talking about. Nakorson pretty much just gave you the facts. I’m sure you’d be happy to get an unusable chunk of data installed to your hard drive on day 1, right? That’s you wanted, right? Probably just trolling anyway, not many people are that ignorant. Oh wait, it’s the internet. Damn.

edit: Sorry to feed the troll. Looking forward to starting up my Mechromancer later today. So psyched!

8. Gadzooks!

Excellent news! I’ve just finished my first playthrough, which was awesome from start to spectacular finish.

Looking forward to playing through as Mechromancer before being somewhat violated by true vault hunter mode! (It’s much, much tougher than first playthrough)

Don’t care about dates, or any of the predictable DLC fuss. The retail release is complete, fully featured and worth every penny of the asking price so nobody can complain about optional extra content.

As with Borderlands 1 I’ll be picking up all the DLC. They did a great job last time.

9. Nakorson

Actually i’m a bit troubled that it releases today, wasn’t able to complete my first playthrough yet and wanted to finish it before the DLC releases. But i’m happy about the earlier release anyway ^^

10. Talkar

So i guess the footage of the untextured DT was just all in my imagination then eh? Well it isn’t the worst things i’ve imagined…

11. absolutezero

I had high hopes for the Mech Romancer seeing as I hated all the new player characters they introduced. Meeting the old characters just compounded how much worse the new ones are.

Anyway, I had hoped Gaige would be a hark back to the older characters in terms of looks and personality. No such luck, shes a snotty Valley Girl.

Urgh. Comedy!

12. Cobra951

It seems the DLC or related update is causing serious issues for some Xbox players. The badass ranks are being reset (to zero) as well as the loss of skins and heads. This nasty bug has been around since release, on all platforms. It would be a crying shame if the new downloads, instead of fixing it, trigger it. Check the firestorm at the official GBX forums for the game.

13. roadkill

Wow you people are.. actually there are no words to describe your lack of awareness. So, how do you explain common sense to children!? Hmm.. OK, I’ll give you an example of how these things work. Maybe you’ll understand some of what I’m saying though seeing how f**ked up you are the possibility of that happening is slim. DICE has released Battlefield 3 in October last year. At release they’ve announced that all who pre-ordered will have access to Back to Karkland for free. Back to Karkland was ready when they released the game. Then they announced that there will be 4 more expansions. They’ve released a few of those. Only 2 remain. They are already finished. And there are 6 months until they release the last. How do I know this? I know someone who knows someone who works there. I’m not giving any more details. So you see morons? Developers who work at AAA titles have everything ready AT LEAST 3 months before they release them. Same thing with Mass Effect products, same thing with Capcom, same thing with Borderlands and same thing with a lot of other games. There are other things that gave it away but this should be enough information for you. If I give you anymore your poorly developed brains might melt. I wouldn’t want to see you idiots gone from here. Who would I “troll” if I’m left all alone!?

14. Phoenixblight

“I know someone who knows someone who works there.”

I laughed. GG try again. Someone that thinks they know the process but actually don’t.

Seeing as I actually know someone that works in gearbox as a level designer I can confirm you are infact wrong with your theory.

15. TheWulf

Eh. I think this all depends on how much of the DLC is with the game when it ships. Bethesda and Bioware have both been caught with their pants down by this, not too much, but they have. Capcom doesn’t even seem to care any more about their felicitous shenanigans. But…

Has there been any evidence of Gearbox having Mechromancer data on the disc? I think this is the important dividing factor. I don’t really believe it’s too evil to develop content to release not long after the game. What you’re not realising is that a character class doesn’t really take much development time, or effort.

Consider how frequently Torchlight modders were knocking them out. And the small team developing Champions Online could knock out a new powerset within a month (and frankly, there’s way, way more work involved in that than there is in a Borderlands 2 class). The only thing about a character class that takes time is the modelling and animations process. Even the design can be further refined down the road with classes if people feel it’s OP/UP.

So I’m willing to give Gearbox the benefit of the doubt, here. I prefer innocent until proven guilty. If they’re guilty about being cynical and treating their customers badly, then I’ll lambast them as much as anyone else. I’ve had critical opinions of other developers for their poor treatment of customers, including the likes of Capcom and Blizzard. But Gearbox seem okay. They even listen to us.

So… innocent until proven guilty. If they DO step out of line, fine. But thus far? This seems like a witch hunt.

16. viralshag

More than happy with the game. More than happy to give them more of my money. Which I actually don’t need to do anyway but I would have.

17. Gadzooks!

#13

Summarize in 1 syllable or less please.