XCOM: screens for 2K Marin’s shooter leak, suggest strategic revamp

Monday, 1st October 2012 11:30 GMT By Dave Cook

XCOM, the first-person shooter from 2K Marin – not to be confused with XCOM: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis – has been dark for a while, leading to rumours of the game being delayed. However, new screens have leaked suggesting the game has been reworked into a third-person strategic shooter instead. More details and screens below.

Eurogamer reports – by way of Kotaku – that the screens show a new squad-based strategy approach, complete with squad meters and status updates.

>You can get the screens here, although the game looks more colourful than the darker version 2K Marin was showing at E3 last year.

Kotaku also reported on leaked 2K Games survey for the game, that lists the game for release on PS3 and Xbox 360, but not PC. The questionnaire also asks if consumers would be happier paying $30 for the game as a digital download, rather than a $60 retail title, suggesting it could be digital only.

What do you think? Is this new direction better, or could this be a flop?

1. monkeygourmet

I liked the look of the FPS…

It looked really rough but I thought it had potential.

They should probably just can this now though, or turn it into a new IP.

2. Deacon

Maybe this could do ok as a downloadable title. I don’t see it being worth a full retail release.

But I’m a bit biased because I’m looking forward to Enemy Unknown so much (which is much more ‘me’).

3. Maximum Payne

I thought it looked great what they were showing (minus the team tactics)
    It had maybe some kind of hl or bioshock vibe and this look very generic

4. absolutezero

I’d quite like to check out those screens but I don’t want to give Kotaku the page hits.

ooooooooo

5. Stardog

This game has looked worse and worse at it’s gone along.

It’s quite laughable.

6. The_Red

What the hell? The game didn’t look too great before (rough and unpolished) but at least it looked unique and intriguing. They’ve some how found a way to ruin most of that.

Just drop the stupid XCOM name, take it back to its original design and sell it as a game INSPIRED by XCOM, not one that carries its name without reason or merit.

7. DSB

Honestly, the longer it takes for Take Two to just kill this thing and give it its much needed abortion, the more respect I lose for ‘em.

It looks like Ghost Busters running on Duke Nukem Forevers engine.

It’s obviously not going to work. Let. It Go. Already.

8. LuLshuck

Nice one xcom fans for msking a shit game, downloadable only to me just shouts the games going to be shit seriously the fps one looked awesome, why the fuck change it?