Dark Souls ‘easy mode’ comment a case of “mistranslation,” according to Namco

Friday, 7th September 2012 20:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Dark Souls game director Hidetaka Miyazaki’s comments regarding an Easy mode for the notoriously brutal game can be chalked up to a case of being “mistranslated,” according to Namco.

Namco has provided a “revision” of Miyazaki’s comment featuring his “true intention” to Metro, and it’s posted below:

Original: “I am thinking about whether I should prepare another difficulty that everyone can complete or carefully send all gamers the messages behind our difficult games.”

Revised statement: “This fact is really sad to me and I am thinking about how to make everyone complete the game while maintaining the current difficulty and carefully send all gamers the messages behind it.”

The original statement was given during an interview with Metro.

Thanks, CVG.

1. ManuOtaku

I did tried this game and my problem is not the difficultie figthing monsters or the likes,is difficult but i did manage somehow, is that i have to search for info on the internet on how to accomplish some things, thats my biggest qualm about the game, and why i didnt finish both of them, in my point of view a good game should give you the hints and make you feel smart while you decipher them and/or allow you to experiment with it, and i didnt found neither of them on this game, but i know theres a lot of people that might like it, and certainly has its merits on its own, is one of those few games i will say is not for me, and that i have not that much possitive things to say about it.

2. Lord Gremlin

@1 I’ve completed my first playthrough of both Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls without ever searching for anything on the internet or asking anyone about them. No big deal. Wasted some Firekeeper souls in Dark Souls, but whatever.
    I’d say you’re yourself not up to game’s standard.

3. Strange Sultan

Action-RPGs tend to be difficult. you will have to spend hours grinding so you can make progress otherwise you’ll die A LOT. and Dark Souls is no different. only, beside stats you will need STRATEGY. and that’s where the beauty of Dark Souls lies imo. the next best thing is how the game lets you figure out the story of it’s world and character by your own. a real master piece if you ask me. one of the best games i have ever played.

4. tgchan

fock u noobs!

This game is not even hard… it is just not for noobs!

#1 you are mentally retarded or never get on decent level as a gamer

All you do is to level up and explore nothing more… ffs

Honestly it pissed me off that developers even care about some kids/noobs who can’t use their brain and they cry that the game is too hard for them… You fckers should went back in time and see what games were beofe.

Sorry for bad words but total amateurs and tourists in games makes me sick

5. Dave Cook

@6 ‘Dark Souls isn’t hard’

That’s just idiotic. It’s hard but the important thing is that it’s fair. You can beat everything if you’re willing to invest time to level, find shortcuts and learn attack patterns. It requires discipline not unique feats of skill, to the point where fighting enemies becomes an attack pattern memory game.

It’s an incredible game, but calling it easy is just stupid. Also, who are you to devalue people who aren’t good at hard games. Nobody cares how skilled you are at games, but hey, it it makes you feel better, knock yourself out champ.

6. zinc

@Dave Cook, +1. I used to take gaming seriously myself, until I realised my CoD ranking did not in fact ‘bring all the girls to my yard’.

Live and learn :-)

7. absolutezero

If you can’t take something you enjoy and love seriously then I pity you a little bit.

Its not about Videogame SRS BZNSS either, its about responding to the level of respect the game is showing you. This is the first game in years that actually treats the player like someone with a modicum of intelligence.

Its just different, which makes it refreshing.

Its not hard, its punishing. If you stop paying attention, if you let your concentration drop then you will be punished for it. The mechanics themselves are fairly easy to grasp and the execution is’nt that hard either.

8. ps3fanboy

LOL!! funniest comment of today :D

9. zinc

@7, I love a good curry, the hotter the better, but that doesn’t mean I will hurl insults your way if you prefer a Korma.

The world has quite enough petty little Hitler’s, demanding we ‘must’ enjoy things a certain way. It’s a practice that I find tiresome.

10. OlderGamer

Dave Cook +one more.

Nice man. I freaken hate punk ass kids, it is why I stay away from online PS360 games, esp ones that really need a Headset or Mic.

11. absolutezero

Dark and Demon’s Souls are two games. Two out of an ocean of perfectly reasonable more relaxed titles. I just do not understand why you would want something thats built from the ground up to be a challenge to be simplified so you can play it.

Whats wrong with just not playing it and getting something else instead?

Starcraft flies straight over my head, theres far too much micro for my feeble brain to keep up with but I would argue to the death to leave it exactly the way it is, because Starcraft is Starcraft and removing the very thing that makes it what it is would lead to a lesser experience. For everyone.

Im not insulting anyone, im simply stating if you want a nice breezy game to relax with then don’t go near DS. Just don’t state it should be made into a walk in the park simply so you can play it.

12. zinc

Only one poster has expressed a desire to see a ‘easy mode’, which is certainly a valid request. The insults thrown their way by a over-zealous hobbyist was certainly not valid.

That was the issue I was discussing.

13. absolutezero

By poo poo his comment as being overtly serious about the silly video game toys?

I agree completely.

14. zinc

^ By the by, have you seen this speed-run? Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Take notes Manu ;-)

15. Kabby

They could benefit from hiring people who have made some fun, polished games. Input from the new guys in key areas would go a long way to fix some of the issues without changing the vision of the game too much.