DmC: Devil May Cry – Vergil will return as main character

Tuesday, 14th August 2012 10:10 GMT By Dave Cook

DmC: Devil May Cry will see Dante’s brother Vergil return in a starring role that sees the brothers risking their lives to rid the world of the demon menace.

Capcom announced Vergil’s return at a pre-Gamescom event, and explained that Vergil recruits Dante into a group called the Order to help him get revenge on the demon enslaving mankind. The Order is a group of hackers, spies and other roles brought together to save mankind.

They have been estranged since childhood, and Dante has no recollection of him. Vergil and Dante will guard each other with their life as they fight against the demons.

Capcom then revealed a trailer that showed both brothers fighting side by side in cut-scenes, and squabbling over the game’s female character. Dante wants to save her at the potential cost of their mission, but Vergil wants to focus on the issue at hand.

New gameplay then showed Dante infiltrating the lair of the demon’s corrupt media mogul, swinging through warped world plastered with news tickers and warped infographics.

Reaching the end of an elevated walkway, the media mogul’s face phases out of the wall and confronts Dante. The two exchange words, expletives and the middle finger before a battle erupts.

In a stroke of brilliance the camera then pans back like a news report as Dante starts fighting a pack of goons. The media mogul commentates on the battle, spinning tons of propaganda about Dante to rally the demons against him – Calling him a drunk, focusing on his violent acts and more. It’s rather clever.

DmC is out January 15 on PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. freedoms_stain

Considering their relationship in the previous games I smell a predictable doublecross plot.

2. hives

@1 – Yeah, but… This is NOT the same universe as in previous Capcom-made DMC games. It’s different world, different timeline, different universe. That’s why Capcom said some time ago that “proper” DMC5 may still be produced.

3. noherczeg

AND PC, you know there are guys who love H&S games on PC too, why not inform them about the release?

4. Dave Cook

@3 Yes, but the PC version isn’t out the date I listed there. Plus I’m actually at the conference writing all of this up as it happens. Give me time mate ;)

5. absolutezero

Ok lets take a little poll on what we think Vergil is going to be turned into.

I think he might have Skrillex hair and a bunch of tattoos. Thats cool and hip at the moment right? On the pulse of the happening London crowd right. Right?

Oh hes a hacker! Massive EDM influence then, might end up looking like the tron gang from Saints Row 3. So fucking hip.

6. freedoms_stain

@5, If he’s a member of some sort of order and focussed on his missions I’m saying military-esque type. Probably the antithesis to emo Dante.

7. SplatteredHouse

The PC version of this is announced and coming, and in this particular case, that’ll do for me. :)

Speaking sort of which, Dave, could you try to lock down a date for Skullgirls digital version for that platform, please, during Gamescom?

8. Ireland Michael

@5 Not even close.

Trailer here.

Personally I love the look. He has the hair, katana, long coat, the blue colour, the attitude. He looks like Vergil. Just with new Dante’s face.

I love how people still think the game is trying to be “hip” when everything in the game we’ve seen so far has proven otherwise. Hahaha.

9. absolutezero

That Vergil is so hot right now.

EDIT : Also enjoy the youtube comments. http://youtu.be/xCL3bt25uis

10. absolutezero

I want this playing over the meaningful brotherly glances and striding towards camera dammit.

11. absolutezero

“This is Vorgil” the radio crackered. “You must fight the demons!”

“HE GOING TO KILL US” said the demons

“I will shoot at him” said the FuckYou and he fired the rocket missiles. Donte plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.

“No! I must kill the demons” he shouted
    The radio said “No, Donte. You are the demons”

And then Donte was a zombie.

12. YoungZer0

@10: I bet 100 Euros that not even half of them watched the video. You know stupid people, they jump so easily on the hatred-bandwagon.

13. Erthazus

Watched the trailer and if this was called something else than DMC i’m sure the feedback would be much better in the end.

It’s not Devil May Cry, it’s some kind of “Gay ride with Dante and Vergil” with crappy textures and moronic emo drama. Gameplay… I still don’t know how it plays, i know that NT tries to replicate previous DMC gameplay in the vids but it’s not the same.

14. YoungZer0

btw. the trailer is damn amazing and unlike anything we’ve ever seen from the franchise. The tone is also much more mature.

@13: Jesus, sometimes i wonder how you can even live with yourself. Who uses the word ‘gay’ as an insult?

15. absolutezero

Its so easy to fall onto the hatred wagon and yet even easier to go flying in the opposite direction and see not fault in anything. Its beautiful.

16. YoungZer0

@15: I think it’s rather sad that you’re usually an okay guy, but whenever DMC is the topic, you act like some spoiled 12 year old.

Gotta do something against that.

17. Dave Cook

I’ve been pro-DmC since it was announced. Devil May Cry 4 was pants in my opinion – I can’t stress the ‘my opinion’ bit enough here, and I feel reboots are always great. See what new teams can do with existing worlds.

The DmC Gameplay we saw today was incredible. Pat agreed.

18. absolutezero

I can’t help it. Everything about this game rubs me up the wrong way, its not bandwagon jumping or anything, hell I loved Enslaved and for whats its worth I laughed my way through Heavenly Sword.

Michael Fassbender leader of Anonymous.

They are Legion. Expect them. Demons.

Really though I just don’t know, I can’t see anything great about this at all, I do however kinda like the World twisting, thats pretty nice.

Also NT really have’nt helped endear themselves to me. Personally speaking of course, all opinions and what not.

19. Erthazus

@YoungZer0, “Who uses the word ‘gay’ as an insult?”

It’s not an insult, it’s truth.

20. absolutezero

What does that even mean?

21. YoungZer0

@18: I dunno, i love everything about the new DmC. The combat looks pretty fun, and although it’s only 30 fps, it looks as fluid as ever. The world shifting is just insanely amazing. Apparently it’s not just stuff being pushed and pulled apart. In one of the trailers you could see a club turning into a Tron-like world.

I really like the new Dante. I like his looks, his voice and more importantly; he seems to care. Just this trailer alone shows it. The old Dante wouldn’t care about Kat being in the hands of the demons, because caring is not cool.

That single dialog in the trailer:

“So that’s what this is about. You need me to fight the demons, help you save the world.”
    “What else were you planning on doing with your life?”

Just the fact that Dante is speechless, makes it so much better than any of the previous dialogs in the franchise.

And finally you can actually tell what’s going on in the world. That’s something that always pissed me off about the DMC Franchise. Capcom created a fascinating world and never did anything with it. DmC shows a world controlled by demons, be it the food, the banks or the news. It’s very reflective to our world and in my opinion that makes it so much better.

I don’t understand how you could be so much against it.

I mean i got really pissed when i heard that Revengeance is being developed by Platinumgames, because i hate their games. They are known for horrible stories, shitty dialogs and awful characters. After a rant or two, i decided to wait and see. I did, and it seems to pay off. Revengeance is looking mighty fine.

Give it a chance.

22. absolutezero

“horrible story, shitty dialog and awful characters”

This is all im seeing from DmC. I wish I did’nt cringe all the way through this trailer, I wish I never bust a gut laughing at fuck you! FUCK YOU!

What I want from a Devil May Cry title is for it to be as goofy and Japanese and stupid and gamey and simple and straight forward and light hearted and care free and over the top.

Platinum aside its something decidely lacking right now and its something I have loved since I started playing games around 23 years ago. They took something pure, idiotic and about the joy of gaming and made it into just another 3D action adventure.

There was something to discover within the actual gameplay of DMC, devoting yourself to mastering the game and its ever increasing difficulty levels was beyond rewarding. The games were all filled with content and move lists and weapons and skills and items and secrets! Missions and Secret Missions challenging you to play completely differently.

Now its just a story about some dudes killing the Demons because they are the evil. Only twist Vergil was actually vying on control all along and Kat knows the truth and has fallen in love with Donte! What a tweest!

23. Ireland Michael

““horrible story, shitty dialog and awful characters”

This is all I’m seeing from DmC”

24. absolutezero

FUCK YOU

Oh I could do this all day. Its the answer to everything related to this game!

FUCK YOU!

25. Ireland Michael

@24 I think people fail to realise that, unlike the scene I posted above, the “Fuck You” scene is *supposed* to be funny.

And it is. Its fucking hilarious, honestly. Here’s this idiotic demonic spouting off, and Dante really, really doesn’t give a fuck. He’s taking the piss out of her.

26. YoungZer0

@22: “There was something to discover within the actual gameplay of DMC, devoting yourself to mastering the game and its ever increasing difficulty levels was beyond rewarding.”

Okay, this is where you completely lose me. Never cared about that at all. The secret missions are still there, btw.

@24:

27. absolutezero

I ascertained that much.

It also felt forced and highly unfunny. Then I started laughing at it because it was so bad, so I guess it worked to some degree.

Its like they mixed up “over the top” with “petulant child”.

28. absolutezero

Its ground covered before Zero, the amount of games like DMC, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 are continuously shrinking.

As far as I can tell after this and Ninja Gaiden 3, Bayonetta is the only one left.

RIP in peace trueskill tournies.

29. Hellhound30x

While DMC is not Bayonetta, or Ninja Gaiden….Its a good game… can’t believe I’m saying it… but it is… It doesn’t deserve the amount of hate its getting. Had a buddy send me a copy, and even held on to it for a couple days before I opened it… started playing on the hardest difficulty ,and its still pretty easy… but you know what… the game is good.
    really good. I hate to say it man… but DMC is really good. I can’t believe I’m even saying it..

30. DSB

@29 Holy crap that’s funny :D

31. absolutezero

Beautiful!

Also I like to see that even last August I was still being merciless towards this game. My opinion has not changed what so ever.

32. GloriaHiggs22

If you think Heather`s story is nice…, 4 weaks-ago my girlfriends brother basically recieved a check for $4000 sitting there 10 hours a week from there apartment and their classmate’s mom`s neighbour done this for 4 months and recieved a check for over $4000 part time on their mac. applie the instructions at this site… Great60.comTAKE A LOOK

33. salarta

@29: There are many issues with the way the DMC franchise and Dante were treated with this game, but even if we were to assume that all of it was absolutely perfect and infallible, the way Ninja Theory and Capcom insulted fans of the franchise alone makes DmC more than deserving of any hatred it receives.

34. Sini

what are you talking about and necroing old threads, DmC is by far the best DMC game ever.

35. YoungZer0

@33: I hate to repeat myself but:

Who mistreated who first?

Show me some proof where Capcom or NT directly insulted fans of the franchise.

36. salarta

@35: I can understand showing proof about the antics Capcom pulled with things like the Megaman Legends 3 and a payable demo for fans to “prove” they want the game, but I’m not going to hunt for the link of something that anyone that’s been paying attention to the DmC fiasco would already know.

You phrase your question of “who mistreated who first” as if fans are interchangeable, that just because one group of fans says something bad about the team, that automatically means all fans said it. A lot of fans did attack Ninja Theory first, just like there were many that complained about Platinum having Bayonetta 2 as a Wii U exclusive. Anything you do is guaranteed to get complaints from someone. But then Ninja Theory went ahead and insulted any fans that could have a problem with the direction they were taking the franchise, AND insulted the franchise and Dante themselves. You don’t respond to concerns and criticism by claiming the franchise is about being “cool,” then going on to say everything made before your company came along to make it so different that it’s a new IP masquerading as a reboot isn’t “cool.”