Diablo 3 player makes $10,000 in auction house sales

Monday, 6th August 2012 15:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Diablo 3′s real-money auction house has netted one player a cool $10,000. WishboneTheDog has posted a ton of evidence on Reddit to back up his claim.

WishboneTheDog has posted up screen grabs of his Diablo 3 auction house transaction history and his personal PayPal account to show just how successful he has been in making money through Blizzard’s game.

There is even a Reddit AMA dedicated to his efforts, in which he discusses the state of the Diablo 3 economy, claims that it is rapidly slowing down and what his could mean for the future of online marketplaces in games.

He even claims that Diablo 3 players largely stop playing once they complete the game, resulting in a significant drop-off in auction house activity, but estimates that the economy should pick up once Diablo 3 PvP support is initialised by Blizzard.

What do you think about money-making potential in games? Is it a dangerous tool, or could it ever be the norm in years to come? Speak your mind below.

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. Hcw87

And blizz cashed in 1k dollars from this one guy because of this.

2. OlderGamer

I don’t like it. If it becomes the norm someday, I will be very sad. It just invites the leeches, changes the games focus from end user to something else entirely. Kind of scary really.

And I play DiabloIII.

3. viralshag

Since it came in I haven’t noticed any difference whatsoever to my gameplay or enjoyment of the game. I have no idea why people get so worked up about it, if I’m honest.

I’d love to make 10k by playing a game I like.

4. Talkar

^This. I haven’t used it to buy anything, i’ve sold a couple of things but nothing that makes up a sum that is worth noting. If people can make money while gaming great. I won’t use it to buy power though, and it doesn’t affect my game experience that i’m not purchasing anything. Hell, i can even go through the game without buying anything at all on the normal AH.

5. OlderGamer

My concern is over focus. What was the focus of a game ten years ago, twenty? Or ten years from now?

Remember the days when games were designed to give you cheap and random deaths just to make you put in another quater? I don’t want a game designed to make a commision and transaction fee on player in game sales. Besides that is just inviting gold farmers.

I enjoy the game, I don’t use the AH. For anything really. I play with friends and family and that is it. So the cureent experince isn’t effected. What happens next scares the hell out of me.

6. Talkar

^As far as i know the core gameplay is the same as it was in the first 2 Diablo’s. In both of them it was all about the loot, and people frequently bought it off of shady sites, whereas now you can buy it from a trusted source (blizz). So the only difference really is that it is now safer to do what people were doing before, and would no doubt do today even if there wasn’t a RMAH in the game.

7. viralshag

I have to agree with Talkar. People have essentially been doing this sort of thing before the real money AH was here – except it was unofficial and often risky where your credit card is concerned.

I think D3 has done a great job of letting people buy their way into power without it really effecting anyone else (other than probably being the main reason for the always online thing).

When PVP comes into play, it may be a totally different story. I’ll wait until then to judge though.

8. ManuOtaku

#5 I agree OG is scaring beyond belief, well this gen and the next one, we had seen and are going to see, things that will reinforce the win/lose scenario this industry is driven all along with the end user (consumer).

9. Sasha_Je

Diablo fans, this is the groundbreaking innovation that we waited for a decade. And OG would you rather give an item to a friend for free/gold or have a few hundreds in your account for rent/mortgage?

Best regards,

Sasha_

10. Telepathic.Geometry

I don’t care what other people do but I personally don’t like the idea of using real money in a game either. Using real money to buy a game, okay, using it to buy magic breeches for your wizard, not okay…

But I don’t like the idea of gambling either. Meh…

11. DSB

Putting real money in a fake universe is probably one of the most effective ways to ruin the illusion.

OG (aka Eeyore) is spot on.

12. UuBuU

This really isn’t THAT unusual ~ The selling of virtual items for real money is quite a common thing to see on browser-based games ~ Pixels sell. I know people who have made $1000s just from kids games like neopets.

~ Its totally plausible that someone could even make a career out of it.

13. magnumfinger

Problem with this 10K dude is that, the items he sold aren’t his… they are a collaboration from different players.

Think of it this way: 10K divided by 10 or even 20 players. = $500 to $1000 — hardly, a career…

14. Puggy

Hm, I also somehow share the concern about the design ideas there. First, money just represents your time. It is a measurement of your working power and well, working time. So yeah, instead of actually working in game, because that is what most games are about anyway. Make a long and boring experience for people to get what they think they want, so they can feel rewarded and as if they have achieved it. And it did work in most games.
    Sure, some justify it is fun to grind the same content over and over just to see your numbers getting bigger, but at least in my point of view, that is hardly the case.

So obviously, before someone wastes countless hours of his or her time to get what they want, they could also just buy it, what is way faster and allows you to enjoy the game itself. Maybe takes the Feeling of “Ha, I played 46 hours to get that axe, I roxxors!” away, but yeah, it boils down to Math.
    How much is your spare time worth? 5 bugs the hour? 10? 20? Guess how much money that Axe would symbolize then.

But of course there are some player who enjoy the grind more then anything. They most likely won’t buy the items, but still there will be countless players who just don’t want to sink that much time into a game just to get to the “fun” part. Whatever that might be.