Darksiders originally planned as four player co-op

Thursday, 26th July 2012 04:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, riding out together on co-op adventures? Yes, Darksiders developer Vigil thought that would be pretty neat, too.

“Originally, Vigil wanted to do a four player co-op game,” Darksiders 2 lead designer Haydn Dalton told IncGamers of the first game in the series.

“Realistically, though, we didn’t have much console experience and it was a whole new genre for us. So instead we went down the less risky route and focused on a single one of them.”

Dalton said Vigil considered some cort of co-op play for the second game, but decided not to tamper with the original’s popular formula. It’s still something the team thinks about, though”

“I don’t think there’s anyone here that likes Darksiders and doesn’t like the idea of causing destruction with three buddies,” he added.

“The puzzles would have to change quite a lot, because we design them with a single person’s perspective in mind. Co-op puzzles would be a whole new challenge for us, and how the game would work if someone decided that they wanted to play by themselves.”

Darksiders 2 is entirely single-player, but has some social aspects in that friends can trade looted items with each other. It launches on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in mid-August.

1. viralshag

I’ve always thought that might be what they do with the third game as War and Death, imo, would probably be the most interesting characters.

Then I actually read up on the last two horsemen in the Darksiders universe (Fury and Strife) and I could go either way. I think they both make appearances in DS2… so I’m excited to see that.

2. Lord Gremlin

I still think they should quietly retcon the fake horsemen and go with 4 classic ones. Pestilence sounds nice for example.
    Because “Fury” and “Strife” are basically same as War.

3. Telepathic.Geometry

I dunno, War wasn’t that angry really, he was generally more like an honourable warrior type, whereas Fury might be very interesting to play if he played like a Tasmanian Devil type of psycho, never able to sit still, and vicious.

As for strife, he might be interesting to play as a kind of thief/agent type of dude, fucking shit up in the background.

Hmm…

4. viralshag

@3, Fury isn’t a he ;)

5. freedoms_stain

Go with the 5th horseman, Mr Soak.

6. Hirmetrium

@2: The comic that came with the PC version of darksiders made it pretty clear that fury is female with whips as weapons, while strife is a fast moving, smart talking marksman. Joe Mad’s universe does not lack for characters.

I spoke to Hayden and he said ultimately they wanted a game in the same vein as the first one, but improved. So instead of Coop, they opted for loot and massive, explorable areas, and kept it true to the gameplay of the original.

7. OrbitMonkey

I wonder if Death will have a assistant called Mort?