Epic hasn’t ruled out always-on DRM for Fortnite

Thursday, 19th July 2012 15:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Fortnite producer Tanya Jessen has said Epic hasn’t ruled out the possibility of including always-on DRM for the game when it releases. However, the possibility also depend upon gameplay and platform.

Speaking with
RPS
, Jessen said other factors include the “method of getting updates and stuff like that.”

“I can’t say for sure today one way or another whether or not we’re going to use it,” she said. “Fortnite is a game that’s being developed as a co-op experience primarily. That’s our number one focus. This is a game you’re going to want to play with your friends, and it’s most fun with your friends.

“So whatever we decide to do there is going to be more relevant to the most fun experience you can have with your friends [than it is to piracy]. But I can’t nail that down today.”

Speaking of co-op, Jessen said players can choose to go solo if they wish in the game.

“Single-player’s absolutely gonna be super fun,” Jessen said. “But, like I said, we’re building it to be a co-op experience. But co-op won’t ever be required in any shape or form.

“In particular, we’ve got this personality we call ‘the lone wolf’ – like, the kind of person who maybe likes to jump in and play with their friends, but not necessarily all of the time, or maybe they even like to play primarily by themselves. So we are definitely making sure that Fortnite will be super fun for that type of person too.”

Fortnite will be exclusive to PC and the first game to utilize Unreal Engine 4. Epic has said it hasn’t “ruled out the possibility of other platforms later.”

1. klewd

who gives a shit about this game either way.

2. Phoenixblight

Can’t wait to play this game looks and sounds fantastic.

3. Kabby

Surely they will have to put it on Steam if they want to sell a decent amount of copies. Which means it would have always on DRM anyway.

4. Sadismek

I want to know if you can actually design your own fort from the scratch, make it how you want to. Like in Minecraft. Other than that I’m very interested in this.

5. ManuOtaku

I was interested in this game, it sounds good, and looks good, with the type of graphics i do enjoy the most, and i did hope this was coming also to consoles at some point, but knowing this is another online-only thing, then i will pass, they are not having my support with this, it doenst matter if it is the greatest game ever.

6. YoungZer0

Looks shitty anyway.

7. The_Red

Well, at I know I won’t play this one. Always-on DRM = No play from me. Even if it’s from the minds behind Fallout 1-2, Grim Fandango, Half-Life 2 and Mortal Kombat combined.

8. Phoenixblight

Geeze people they said they don’t know if it will have always on DRM but are looking DRM options. Read the article.

9. The_Red

It’s a (currently) PC-only game that’s not from CD Project Red.

Of course they will enforce that stupid system. Right now almost everyone with a big budget product on PC is doing it (Again CDPR excluded). Also, seeing how the whole stupid thing didn’t stop Diablo 3 from breaking many sales records, I think it’s safe to say that suits now know people will pay for their games regardless of the way they are treated (Like crime suspects in case of D3 or actual customers in case of very few Always-on DRM free titles).

10. Phoenixblight

I enjoyed D3. THe always on DRM didn’t stop me from doing that then again I live in a place where my internet is always available.

There are many ways to have DRM. They could go with the Steamworks and it would essentially be the same thing.

11. Sadismek

@5,7 I guess you use Steam, right? That’s a form of DRM, and maybe they’re talking about that, so I don’t see where this reticence is coming from.

12. The_Red

That’s one of the reasons I didn’t get D3. Need a much better connection!

Steamworks DRM is better. Anything is better than an always-on one. Sure, offline mode sometimes annoys but it generally works for someone like me.

13. Dragonborn

^^^ guys do you mean that with DRM , having a bad internet connection can affect your gameplay experience ??!

14. OlderGamer

In simple terms Dragonborn, yes. It can. Even if playing alone, single player, by yourself.

15. ManuOtaku

#11 no i dont use steam, i dont do PC gaming, for various reasons.